[OB] Part 3 Reactions

Chaos

Moash, you can now go die in a hole.  Although part of me still wants me to be redeemed, but the other part doens’t.  I do want him and Kaladin to talk.

I loved how Adolin saved Kaladin and brougth him out.

As far as someone who said that no one was greiving Elhokar, that is just not true.  What do you think Kaladin is doing?  Yes, the other deaths also traumatized him, but Elhokar’s death was part of it.  Adolin would have grieved, but if he had they would have died.  Adolin can’t let himself think about his cousin’s death, because he couldn’t fight then.  People are counting on Adolin to lead them.  He’ll grieve, just not until later.

I saw that a lot of people loved Wit and Shallan’s converstation.  When Shallan started crying in Wit’s shrit, it was really tender and I didn’t know Hoid could be that compastionate.  It was a beautiful scene.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Guys, imma on Struggle Street. I’ve read Warbreaker and all the Stormlight up till Part 3, but I don’t understand how you know Azure is Vivenna! What have I missed?!

It will become even more apparent  after you finish part 4 but she says the same color references as Vasher. Also her name is even a color. Her swords descriptions as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

It took me a while to get through this part....

I'm disappointed that Elhokar died right when I was starting to like him and look forward to where his story was going, and right when he was about to swear oaths. I'm not happy with Moash right now. Also, between that, the deaths of the Wall Guard members and parshmen Kaladin knew, and the earlier death of Eshonai and reminders of who had died previously in Dalinar's army, it almost feels like Brandon is trying to make up for the non-deaths last book.

Anyway, this part seemed really slow. Maybe it's because I had to put a hold on reading because I had other stuff going on, but this part was hard for me to get into and I'm having a hard time remembering exactly what happened at the beginning of the chapter. The parts with Dalinar felt disconnected from the parts in Kholinar, and present-day Dalinar seemed to be gone from the narrative for a while in favor of flashbacks. Everything in Kholinar seemed to drag. I feel like it could have been shorter, honestly. I wasn't all that interested in Shallan's parts, except for when Wit showed up. Kaladin's parts were interesting. But it also seems odd that we didn't see much of what Adolin and Elhokar were doing.

Still, Evi's death was horrifying, everything starting with chapter 82 was great (although I don't like Elhokar's death), and I'm really interested in reading about everyone in Shadesmar (although there's a few Interludes to get through first). I'm surprised there's still two more parts after the battle at Kholinar, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the climax to the whole book will be.

Oh yeah, also, Vivenna! No more Vivenna is everyone and their mother theories! It should be interesting seeing more of her in Shadesmar.

Edited by luckat

On 11/14/2017 at 2:06 AM, Pattern said:

What a ride. Kholinar lost to three Unmade. Elhokar dead. Aesudan occupied by Yelignar, Sja-Anat corrupting spren and the Heart of the Revel creating a debauchery cult...

But all that action aside, most emotional for me and the absolute highlight of part three was "The Girl who stood up". Wit and Shallan, just beautiful. I had tears in my eyes reading this chapter, and not only because at this point I had been reading 20 hours nonstop.

Brighness Azure: Welcome Vivenna -gotcha!.

Help me out here, this whole part 3 reaction thread keeps bringing up Vivenna.  Did I miss something or is this a blatant "other book" spoiler that is totally messing with me? Not ok...well it's kinda ok because now it's got my interest peaked.

1 hour ago, ElvisSpren said:

Help me out here, this whole part 3 reaction thread keeps bringing up Vivenna.  Did I miss something or is this a blatant "other book" spoiler that is totally messing with me? Not ok...well it's kinda ok because now it's got my interest peaked.

I’m guessing you haven’t read Warbreaker yet? 

• 2 months later...

Okay so even though I'm on the forums and spoiler board, I couldn't stay away. I'm only on part 3 but shallan is extremely annoying and needs to be hit with something heavy. She seems to make progress in WoR but then go backwards so far in Oathbringer. Other than her, I liked everyone else, Lift can be a bit irritating and I don't understand how her mind stayed focused long enough to get to the third ideal. Other than those, I'm really liking it so far.

• 3 weeks later...

A battle in a city of ... 50-100K with 40K Parshendi and Elhokar, Kaladin, the guards Kaladin knows, the parshendi Kaladin knows, and Moash all manage to show up in a room.  Broke suspension of disbelief for me.  Way too convenient.  Why was Elhokar doing some oaths - why wait until battle?  Its just made it silly not tragic.  This could have been a great scene but seeing all that improbability....broke me out of it all.  

Also why not bring the shard plate?  Just carry it in a bag.  

Shallan as is typical of her character got some people killed.  No surprise there.  

• 2 months later...

Like I’m on my 4th reread . I know what’s going to happen and I’m still devestated by Ehlokar death . Everyone loves to hate on Moash ; but Kaladin , I have a bone to pick with you ! Like I realize he sees his Alethi Parsh Friend’s and has a Rodney King moment : you know “ Can we all just get along” but come on Kal do sit there and do nothing! Lash your friends up to the roof so they can’t hurt anybody ! Summon Syl as a staff and beat them away from Ehlokar ! Storms do something man. Just one more second and Ehlokar would have comepleted his words! Sigh! Well I guess Kaladin has to live with that for Therese of his life !! Totally let down !!!

On 11/15/2017 at 3:03 PM, Kered said:

Wow. 

The Kaladin scene absolutely gutted me. By far the saddest scene in the series for me so far. The helplessness and chaos was just crazy. So crazy that I can't articulate my feels right now. 

The salute by Moash...If ya liked him before that, you should definitely hate him now.  

Part 3 I think was the "darkest" feeling sequence in any cosmere book so far. Kholinar just felt wicked, everything about it. From Shallan getting stabbed upon entrance, to the insane stories about the queen. Dark, but good. The fall of Kholinar is probably going to go down as one of the best written cosmere events. 

And this is all without mentioning the total emotion fest that was the Shallan-Wit encounter lol. 

Part 4, please don't let Kaladin suffer. 

Being new to this site I didn’t see your reaction , my reaction was the exact same as yours! Although I know. This was all part of Kaladin path of growth with his ideals , I still was appalled by him freezing, I screamed “ Storms man do something” Moash salute was like hi Kal , I’m murder Ehlokar and totally ruin your life , but we still cool , right ? Wrong, Moash your spineless worm! Sad thing is I recognize Moash and Kaladin are the same character . Except where Kaladin kept his oath Moash broke his and Kaladin knows that Too so he is looking at himself and what he would look like if he had abandoned his Oaths . And that is a knife in his side he won’t forget!

• Chaos unpinned this topic
  • Chaos locked this topic