[OB] Part 2 Reactions

Chaos

7 hours ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

I read this review today, (minor spoilers) and it really cheesed me off, as they obviously don't have a real appreciation for the nuances Brandon has put in place here. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.avclub.com/brandon-sandersons-series-spanning-ambitions-burden-oat-1820346253/amp

Stormfather! This is one of the worst reviews I have ever read. The part that vexed me the most was how much it dissed Shallan's new arcs. Honestly I despised WoK Shallan, WoR Shallan was ok, but the first Shallan arc with the unmade hooked me to the charecter again. And OB doesn't parallel Mistborn at all. "Man it's a group of hero's with magic against a big baddie" that's literally almost every fantasy story ever. Geez, AV Club, you don't deserve to review this beautiful piece of art...

Just now, Blazenella said:

Stormfather! This is one of the worst reviews I have ever read. The part that vexed me the most was how much it dissed Shallan's new arcs. Honestly I despised WoK Shallan, WoR Shallan was ok, but the first Shallan arc with the unmade hooked me to the charecter again. And OB doesn't parallel Mistborn at all. "Man it's a group of hero's with magic against a big baddie" that's literally almost every fantasy story ever. Geez, AV Club, you don't deserve to review this beautiful piece of art...

Seriously. They must hate The Flash.

3 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Sorry for the double post. He was described by Dalinar as looking Shin but I am not convinced on this yet but I can see the correlation. 

Thanks, it took me an embarrassingly long while to figure out that you meant Odium's avatar there. But that's most helpful. Like you, I'm still unconvinced at this point though.

10 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Oh and they were a thing at once?

I don't think they were a thing so much as Amaram wanted them to be a thing (and maybe Gavilar was pushing it too, because of Sons of Honor). I didn't get the feeling that Jasnah ever gave him the time of day. Something like kind of an arranged marriage that Jasnah didn't have a say in, but maybe not as advanced as that.

13 minutes ago, Govir said:

I don't think they were a thing so much as Amaram wanted them to be a thing (and maybe Gavilar was pushing it too, because of Sons of Honor). I didn't get the feeling that Jasnah ever gave him the time of day. Something like kind of an arranged marriage that Jasnah didn't have a say in, but maybe not as advanced as that.

Yeah re-read that part he says they were close then she retorts with my father wanted us close so I agree with your assessment. 

OMG, as Lift would say, this chapter is so STORMING Awesome! I had a fit of giggles just reading her interactions with Dalinar and Gawx in the dream - tight butt indeed! Also, Jasnah had a bout of craziness when she was younger?!? Colour me intrigued...very, very intrigued....

Hello All,

This is my 1st post but had to join to comment about chapter 37.  I loved this chapter and had to encourage my friends and family to read faster so they can get to this chapter.  It is an excellent example of almost all that makes Brandon's writing great.  It had wonderful character development, I'll now see Rock as a father type to Bridge 4. It had great emotional moments both happy, Hobber, and poignant, the last carrying of the bridge. It had Brandon's trademark humor, Lopen.  It had moments of awe, when Rock saw the spren and the "Mother Spren" (Cultivation?).  Other than none of Brandon's great action writing it was almost perfect.  My favorite chapter so far in any of his books.

I also am intrigued by the lines "But soldiers needed to eat, and nuatoma guards each did several jobs even guards with his particular heritage and blessings.

He closed his eyes, kneading and humming his mother's song to a beat he could almost, faintly hear."

I then thought back to the story Rock told, in WoR, in the bar about how the Horneaters came to live in the mountains.  The part where he said everybody tried to kill them.

Now this may of already been discussed since I haven't read much of the forums but I think that the Horneaters are descendants of the Parshendi.

Edited by Hiad
Edited for spelling

15 minutes ago, Hiad said:

Now this may of already been discussed since I haven't read much of the forums but I think that the Horneaters are descendants of the Parshendi.

First off Welcome! I completely agree with you that was an amazing chapter. 

Hoarneaters and Herdazians are both a mixed race of humans and parshendi. 

Edit here is the WoB

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/87-white-sand-vol1-release-party/#e5782

Edited by StormingTexan

Elf.gif

Me after finishing part 2.

Seriously guys so much good stuff. Notice though even in all the reveals there are still mysteries. Dang it Brandon you're just too good. Can't wait to see what the rest of this book has in store for my already blown mind.

P.S. getting to read Bavadin's response to Hoid was quite interesting and telling. Cosmere is getting smaller folks...

1 hour ago, Hiad said:

when Rock saw the spren and the "Mother Spren" (Cultivation?)

I don't think the Mother Spren was Cultivation because Syl calls her Phendorana, which is not a name I've heard before.

I can barely remember a voice...her voice, Phendorana, reprimanding me.

It could turn out to be another name for Cultivation, but I don't think it will be. Not sure what she is though. My crazy theory without any real proof I will put behind a Cosmere spoiler.

Spoiler

I think it may be a pre-Recreance Knight Radiant (specifically a Windrunner) who died and is now a Cognitive Shadow. Based on Mistborn Secret History, we know that people who hold / use a lot of Investiture last longer in the Cognitive Realm when they die. Allomancers don't really "hold" Investiture so much as quickly let it pass through them (i.e. they don't use a lot, but still linger noticeably). Compared to Knights Radiants who hold onto the Stormlight for extended periods of time. This could cause them to linger after death, perhaps even be trapped on Braize like the ancient Parshendi are (although that conflicts with how Syl would know this one)..

This could also explain the doctrine of Vorinism where warriors are thought to go fight for the Tranquiline Halls. It could have morphed from the fact that KRs become Cognitive Shadows when they die, and have to continue the fighting for eternity. (Didn't the Stormfather mention the same secret that caused the Recreance also caused the Hierocracy? I can't find the quote right now.)

Noooooo Graves got killed after two pages! I liked him, that hurt :-( I'm sad now.

Either Moash will be evil, or he will be Kaladin 2.0.

Speaking of Kaladin, refreshing not to have POVs by him. Also, he handled the situation with his new parshmen friends in Part One real bad.

I like Odium though. Really cool, felt dangerous. 

I also liked all the lore, and the letters. I think we got Ambitions real name, and it was fun to see Sazeds letter too.

There are two characters I have problems with though. One is Lift. I feel that she got too Lift-y. I haven't been annoyed at her before, but now I was. 

The other is Jasnah. She is just as bad as Amaram or King T, when it comes to life before death and journey before destination. The difference is that she is much more likely to look down on others, is mean (her discussion with Kaladin), and yet keeps on judging people who are quite similar to her (Amaram). I don't get how people can like her while hating the other two. Don't like her. At all. 

Also, which part of the letter was written by Bavadin? Missed that.

Edited by Toaster Retribution

5 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Noooooo Graves got killed after two pages! I liked him, that hurt :-( I'm sad now.

Either Moash will be evil, or he will be Kaladin 2.0.

Speaking of Kaladin, refreshing not to have POVs by him. Also, he handled the situation with his new parshmen friends in Part One real bad.

I like Odium though. Really cool, felt dangerous. 

I also liked all the lore, and the letters. I think we got Ambitions real name, and it was fun to see Sazeds letter too.

There are two characters I have problems with though. One is Lift. I feel that she got too Lift-y. I haven't been annoyed at her before, but now I was. 

The other is Jasnah. She is just as bad as Amaram or King T, when it comes to life before death and journey before destination. The difference is that she is much more likely to look down on others, is mean (her discussion with Kaladin), and yet keeps on judging people who are quite similar to her (Amaram). I don't get how people can like her while hating the other two. Don't like her. At all. 

Presumably the ones that the author referred to themselves as "we" and "us". At least that's what I inferred.

2 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Some (I agree) reckon the second of the three letters is Bavadin because it's quite hostile to Hoid, sounds like a hive mind that would fit Autonomy as a Shard, and talks about involvement in multiple worlds which fits Autonomy as well.

or else it could be the Ire

24 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

Presumably the ones that the author referred to themselves as "we" and "us". At least that's what I inferred.

It's based off the theory that Bavadin (who holds Autonomy) appears as multiple personas on Taldain. Hence the collective self reference. And of course her supposed personal grudge with Hoid.

EDIT - Must refresh more...

Edited by Mondaysjelly

@Toaster Retribution I felt like she handled Shallan very porely. It didn’t bother me so much with Kaladin I think because I felt like those two were going to be oil and water and got exactly what I thought. She’s a no BS kinda lady and she has a little beef with the rest of the world that’s just now catching up to her (even if she’s wrong about stuff). It will be interesting to see how she progresses.

Edited by StormingTexan

15 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

- BRIDGE 4 POVs Holly heck I had no idea we would see this and it was absolutely amazing! Brandon gave us all exactly what we wanted. Rock's was absolutely beautiful, Teft's and Raln's a little sad.  So exciting to see Bridge 4 progressing. I agree with others Lyn has something going on. At first I had a hard time caring too much about Moash's POV but towards the end I am intrigued. Could he be the traitor? Maybe not since he is so minor not but he is shaping out to be a traitor. I actually didnt mind at all Kaladin not having a POV let's face it he's had a lot and it was really mice to see him through others eyes.

This. SO MUCH THIS. So far, only the Bridge 4 POV chapters have brought me to tears in this book. (I know I'll probably cry at some point during the Sanderlanche too.)

I assume most of us noticed that the picture at the top of Moash's chapters is the Bridge 4 chapter icon with the shoulder patch ripped off? I suspect Moash is on a path to become Odium's champion. I mean, his internal monologue sounds like he's given up on humanity enough that he could be convinced to help Odium eradicate it.

-The Stormvision network is awesome glad to see some other leaders coming on board.

Stormvision Network is a fantastic name; I'm going to use it from now on.

-Was really happy to see more Renarin and see Shallan sticking up for him. Kinda sad to see him contemplating leaving bridge 4 but his talents are needed in other areas. Did he just find Urithiru's audible account? 

Storms, yes! It made me so glad to see Shallan giving that airheaded scribe a tongue-lashing in Renarin's defense.
Also "Urithiru's Audible account" made me LOL.

- The epigraphs are much better this part. Cant wait to put them all together and read straight through. Sazed! Btw I am now convinced Jasnah wrote the in world Oathbringer but I cant say exactly why. 

I also got the impression that Jasnah was the author of the Part 1 epigraphs. Just the tone and the scholarly/educated voice sounded like her.
My face when I realized Sazed was part of the epigraphs of Part 2:

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, Tal said:

HEY GUYS SO WHO WANTS TO CRY ABOUT THE FACT THAT ESHONAI IS DEAD

I'm seriously wondering if we might see her again outside of flashbacks. Brandon's stated that Eshonai is a viewpoint character who will get her own book, amirite? I know he said he was done with the death fakeouts for Stormlight after what happened with Jasnah and Szeth, but given what we're learning about the Parshendi and the Fused, maybe she will become a Cognitive Shadow or something? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Sunchicken said:

I'm seriously wondering if we might see her again outside of flashbacks. Brandon's stated that Eshonai is a viewpoint character who will get her own book, amirite? I know he said he was done with the death fakeouts for Stormlight after what happened with Jasnah and Szeth, but given what we're learning about the Parshendi and the Fused, maybe she will become a Cognitive Shadow or something? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Someone getting an own book means flashback sequences. I think the book itself will focus on someone else (not saying who because this is about Part 2 reactions).

2 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Someone getting an own book means flashback sequences. I think the book itself will focus on someone else (not saying who because this is about Part 2 reactions).

I wondered about that too. IIRC there's been a lot of debate leading up to this release about whether or not a character can be dead during their own book, and now that debate makes a lot of sense.