[OB] Part 2 Reactions

Chaos

Hello,

Full book spoilers on Oathbringer open 11/14 12:01am Eastern Standard time. When this topic opens you can discuss all of Oathbringer in this board.

This topic, however, is if you just want to discuss the book up through Part Two and want to nerd out a bit about it. If so, you're in the right place.

Only stuff through the end of Part Two are allowed. This topic will not contain spoilers from the interludes following Part Two.

So this is perfect because I've only got up to the end of Part 2 and the book is unavailable to me until possibly tomorrow. But storms, Part 2 is full of stuff!

In no particular order:

• Jasnah is a savage. Doesn't matter against whom, Kaladin, Amaram, Shallan, she owns. I love being in her head. I wonder what she's thinking about Renarin, looking forward to learning more.
  • Finally we make some headway with the other leaders.
  • DIDN'T EXPECT TO SEE MY GIRL LIFT SO SOON HEY PRINCESS
  • And oh my GOSH the exposition about the Oathpact by the Stormfather. So nice to have the theories filled in after all this time. I totally wasn't expecting that for a while. Now if only we learned about the Recreance... Jasnah knows something, and so does Taravangian (as evidenced in WoR).
  • Disappointed Hoid hasn't shown up yet.
  • SO NICE TO HEAR FROM HARMONY. How ya doin?
  • Moash's arc is going places I didn't expect. It will be interesting to see him meet up with Kaladin if and when they ever make it to Kholinar.
  • ROCK'S FAMILY dear lord I CRIED. They're so sweet but his daughter doesn't remember him :( Nothing could be sadder. In other news, Rock is the most valuable bridgeman on the team. He's the only thing holding Bridge Four together and he is totally underappreciated.
  • Feels all around in those Bridge Four chapters.
  • Excited about them finally finding information in those gems, looking forward to hearing about the Radiants of Old.
  • Dalinar's flashbacks seem...lacking to me. We skip over so much stuff, but I suppose it's necessary because there are more things to learn still.
  • Upsetting chapter when Evi came to visit him at the war camp. He doesn't deserve someone who tries so hard and she deserves better. I wonder what she'd think of the Dalinar today...
  • The Glyph translation guide is storming amazing!!
  • The LETTERS!!
  • EDIT HOW COULD I FORGET ODIUM
  • My goodness, he reminds me of Odin. I find myself liking him. Lots of cool stuff in there, and Storms Dalinar, you almost pulled a Vin and released him. 

I think that's all I have so far, all the big stuff anyway.

Edited by Rider of Storms

53 minutes ago, Rider of Storms said:
  • EDIT HOW COULD I FORGET ODIUM
  • My goodness, he reminds me of Odin. I find myself liking him. Lots of cool stuff in there, and Storms Dalinar, you almost pulled a Vin and released him. 

Very much agreed! After reading that part where he talks with Dalinar I found myself wondering how much of what we know of Odium is actually correct. Is he as evil as we made him out to be, or is there another secret?

Time to stop lurking I guess. 

This whole section was fantastic! 

I loved how we see lots of moments from Bridge 4 and how other people see Kal. 

Odium had me saying lots of bad words when he appeared. 

This section has been completely different from anything else Brandon has written. Rather than slowly moving towards more secrets we are getting tons of impactful revelations in quick succession. Has me worried for what happens next.

Finally, after having listened to the first two books from the the Graphic Audio version, I've found that my voice for each character has changed to match the recording. Now I'm very excited to hear this book as well. 

I’ve only ever lurked here (sorry) so this isn’t much of a hello but... uh, Odium is kind of the best, in an Alan Rickman in Diehard kind of way.

And so the epigram in part 2 is that Hoid sent some kind of [email protected] email? And so far we have responses from Bavadin, Sazed and maybe someone else? 

Also many other things, but it’s 7am. 

Beyond happy at the revelations In part two. Mainly:

•oath pact info

•stoneward ability been waiting for an example for a long time. 

•ODIUM. Oh my days, he's the worst kind of bad guy. very sinister. And I take it that him appearing now is a very very bad sign regarding the oathpact 

OH MY STORMS IT'S HARMONY HE'S TALKING TO ALL THE SHARDS HOLY FRICK ITS SAZED I LOVE YOU SAZED (although not as much as Taln)

Ok. I finished part 2.

damnation. 

Odium. 

And LIFT HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I LOVE YOU LIFT. 

So, stuff. Moash. And the oathpact. 

So who are the slivers of the Almighty? The spren, probably. 

The spren really did become better as a result of Honors death. 

So Dalinar is a lot more powerful? Craziness. 

Odium wants OUT. hm. 

Well, that was pretty awesome. Moving on. 

Edited by Steeldancer

REAL QUICK NOTICE!!! I'm stuck in school for 8 torturous hours until I can speed home and suck up Oathbringer (If it's delivered, and If it's not I'm literally going to lose my mind). So for now this is all I have to hold me over. I told myself I wouldn't, but I fell to my temptation.

Edited by Blazenella

Did anybody ever read the Night’s Dawn Trilogy? The Voidbringer situation reminds me very strongly of that. I can’t help but wonder if the conflict will be resolved in the same way. 

Ambition’s vessel’s name?

Bavadin, Sazed. Weird having multiple letters in one part, but I’ll take it!

waters? Obrodai? Hmm...

So I had thought perhaps Venli would end up Odium’s champion, but maybe Moash instead? His arc did not take him where I expected.  Can’t tell if there will be redemption there or if he’ll truly fight for Odium as some humans did in the visions. Venli could still, but seeing that comet spren by Eshonai’s corpse could be a sign otherwise. She seems to lie to herself about her resolve...

Odium = Passion? Well then. Unexpected. And complicated. Maybe not as clear cut motivation as we thought. That actually makes me worry for the Dalinar/Navani relationship...