[OB] Part 1 Reactions

Chaos

Hey all,

This will be a spoiler thread only for stuff from the prologue through Part One (Chapter 32). It does not contain any interlude discussion.

This topic, like our other part-by-part spoiler threads, are for people who maybe read slowly and want to react after each part. 

After the book comes out do not post any information here beyond Part One.

(Yes, I realize many of you who read the previews have already discussed Part One a lot! This one might not get a lot of traction but I imagine Parts 2, 3, and 4 will.)

The other part-by-part threads open midnight EST, but this one you can use now.

3 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

She is like Stick, except for the fact that Stick has been more plot relevant, which says something.

Stop insulting my stick.

Sanderson, Brandon. Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 212). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

I will forever be grateful to Brandon for the ability to quote this line.

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

Highlights of the Part 1:

-Kaladin is Roshar's Superman. Kaladin loves to be recognized and worshipped. He may not think so but subconsciously he wants it. I can see it in every move he did before the crowd. He may think he does this just to encourage the people but he also enjoys it sooooo much. I enjoy this too.

-Syl gonna find some good girl for Kaladin and show how its should be done. In other corner is Pattern who gonna prevent Shallan from doing stupid things in bed.

-Adolin is surprisingly a very pragmatic guy when it comes to emotional sphere. And you, young Kholin; we shall watch your career with great interest.

-Shallan is ill. Where is that inspiring, witty and red hot girl from the chasms?

-Soon, very soon Dalinar "Freddy Krueger" Kholin gonna rock the dreams of other rulers.

-Taravangian gonna throw our heroes into hell. I bet he is the final villain.

-Parshendi are good guys, im calling it.

-Jasnah is fabulous as f....

Thats it. Cant wait to read the next parts.

Edited by Harbour

Overall part 1 reaction is this book starts off a lot faster than the previous ones with a lot more "This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules DID I JUST READ!" moments early on. The stage was set with the first two books and now we are going full speed ahead. I know this is Dalinar's book and he has some great (and scary) moments but Shallan stole the show for me. Her craziness is like a train wreck you just have to watch. Oh and we get to see her fight an Unmade. Kaladin's story was a slow burn until the last chapter of awesomeness. Oh look Jasnah is back! So glad to see everyone together should be interesting.  

15 minutes ago, MonsterMetroid said:

I am really wondering if shallans synergy of her powers allow her to affect Identity or connection. The way Bluth reacted to her drawing of him and the way she changes her personality and thinking as veil and radiant. really interesting

Welcome to the Shard! Have an upvote

35 minutes ago, MonsterMetroid said:

I am really wondering if shallans synergy of her powers allow her to affect Identity or connection. The way Bluth reacted to her drawing of him and the way she changes her personality and thinking as veil and radiant. really interesting

Not to toot my own horn too much, but there's a lot of discussion on a thread I made to discuss that over here. Take a look and see what you think, and if you think of anything we missed please jump right on in! Welcome to the Shard!

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

I wasn't around when WoR came, so I don't have a point of reference. But I got hyped every Tuesday for some chapters, then promised myself that this slow torture isn't worth it and I should stop reading it every week and wait for the book. AND I always broke my oath (no spren harmed in this way I promise you that).

I remember being this excited half the time when reading WoK and WoR, but not for the first part. This one is definitely one of my favorites. I really thought Shallan's story had ended in WoR and didn't care about her anymore, and Brandon proved me wrong. Loved the flashbacks and even though it probably won't effect the story much, I HAVE to know what happened to Evi and her brother. What happened with the Nightwatcher, the storm Travangian is up to. Too many secret organizations and too much plot and I have to know everything!

I'll probably skip this part when reading the book but I promise that I WILL re-read the whole thing 2 more times before the year ends.

On 11/13/2017 at 1:58 PM, Fifth of Daybreak said:

Pattern is on point. 

"No mating!"

"Stupidity. Very interesting."

I agree Pattern’s “no mating” was just so great.  I love when Shallan doesn’t know how to react, but then later her and Adolin just laugh at it.  I really hope their relationship works out.

I’m glad the whole gang is back together.  Jasnah included. :) 

So they figured out that the unmade was making the copycat deaths, but they (other than Adolin) still don’t know who killed Sadeas.  I am intrested to see how this plays out, because it’s eventually going to come out.  I bet Shallan will take it better than how she reacted to Jasnah killing the thugs on the street.  In a lot of ways Jasnah was more justified, but Shallan is irrational like that sometimes.

Oh and before I finish, let me say how much I loved that Kaladin’s parents were in it.  I was so terrified they were dead.  That would have heartbroken me.

Pattern is Best Pony. Shallan really need to work through her crem, though, because this avoiding thinking about problems thing is going to magnify fallout like whoa.

Kaladin has a new little brother to protect! <3

But...Dalinar. Oh, Dalinar. Unpopular opinion time: I find him tedious, and his flashbacks aren't helping. It's all fine and well to be badchull in your youth, but he was really...something else. Something bad else. I knew going in that the book would be pretty Dalinar-centric, but his POVs are a bit of a slog for me except when the Stormfather is involved.

1 hour ago, Kaymyth said:

Kaladin has a new little brother to protect! <3

But...Dalinar. Oh, Dalinar. Unpopular opinion time: I find him tedious, and his flashbacks aren't helping. It's all fine and well to be badchull in your youth, but he was really...something else. Something bad else.

I do love the baby.  He better live though.  If he dies I don’t even know what I’ll do.

As far as Dalinar goes.  I quite like him, but I agree with you that young Dalinar, although a boss, is evil.  I want to see him change throughout the book as it progresses into the man we see in book 1.

I need a shirt or something that says 'No Mating.' Oh, Pattern, you're my MVP for this segment. 

I like the Dalinar flashbacks. You think the other nations are being a bit extreme about refusing to trust Dalinar, but the flashbacks show the Blackthorn was more than just badchull--like they say, he's a shshsh but he's our shshsh. You point him at an enemy and that's it. Given that baggage, I'm not surprised they think it's just an Alethi issue. (Though I suppose Edgedancer already hinted at it, when he's referred to as an Alethi warlord.)

^Signed back in just to comment on Oathbringer, now that I've finally finished preliminary grading. Go me...

Summary of part 1

• Kaladin's still mopy, so no change there...
  • Kaladin punches Roshone in the face, YES!!!!!
  • I don't think we'll have a problem with mating as long as Pattern's around
  • Amaram's a highprince, NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Shallan's has an identity crisis and subsequently defeats an ancient evil who turns out to be a maliciously curious spren, and on top of all that, she continues to create different personalities for herself
  • Dalinar's reputation as the Blackthorn comes back to bite him
  • Dalinar really needs a steak knife, so that assassination attempt was right on time
  • Dalinar is married by the God of Storms, then starts remembering his previous wife's name, how mysterious and unfortunate
  • Voidbringers like to play cards and pick flowers, how cute
  • And finally, Jasnah's back, so that's good
Edited by MasterJack