How do you know that Demoux and Galladon are looking for Hoid on the Purelake?

Quickbronze

Question

6 answers to this question

On 13/11/2017 at 4:35 AM, Crimson Not Blood said:

Their physical descriptions and nicknames might provide clues, but how do you know? Do you know for sure? 

Galladon in the interlude used a bad word of his own language who did not traslate into the Roshar's language (a word used a lot in Elantris by him)

Many time, an oddity in language is a good guest of a worldhopper who didn't took effort to learn even a bit of the local language.

Anyway, in my first reading I spot immediatly Galladon as Galladon, but I completelly miss Demux and of course at that time I didn't know their third companion.

Edited by Yata

At this point you still pretty much need Word of Brandon to know that the third man is Baon. Well, that or quite a bit of staring at the text sideways to figure out that Vao could be Baon as filtered through the local language.

But yeah, Galladon is really obvious and a nice illustration of how speech patterns and odd words can give away some worldhoppers. Vasher's another great illustration of that principle at work.

WoR

Spoiler

He's Zahel. Pay attention to the odd color-related figures of speech he uses and everything in the interlude from his POV. He thinks about Nightblood's voice not being in his head anymore and senses Kaladin approaching, a sign of the Fourth Heightening.

1 hour ago, neithan said:
Spoiler

and senses Kaladin approaching, a sign of the Fourth Heightening.

The ability to do that is a sign of Breath, not of any particular Heightening.

Warbreaker Spoilers(about the magic, not the story)

Spoiler

I'd like to remind you that Breath in general gives life-sense, and that skill tops out at the Fourth Height. From Chapter 5:

He had enough of a Breath aura to indicate that he’d reached the First Heightening. It was where most people—those who could afford to buy Breath—stopped. That much Breath would extend their lifespan by a good decade or so and give them an increased life sense. It would also let them see Breath auras and distinguish other Awakeners, and—in a pinch—let them do a little Awakening themselves.

The First Heightening is only ~50 Breath, but being experienced, Vasher could probably still sense someone approaching with less Breath on him.