Audiobooks

IllNsickly

Since this is COMPLETELY unrelated to Mr. Sanderson and the Cosmere, I am putting it here.

There has been a little discussion about the Audio format for literature and this quote from Mr. King absolutely nails it for me.

'A suspense novel is more suspenseful — especially in the hands of a good reader — because your eye can’t jump ahead and see what happens next.'

Stephen King.

The tendency for my eyes and brain to jump ahead when 'Big Awesome or Big Crazy Thing' is happening is why I Love Audio. 

There is nothing that can replace the feel of the Real 'Smelling like Magic and Awesome and Perfection' thing Hardcover in your hands, I know... But for the sake of the Story and all of the Care and Love and Blisters and Deadlines that the author poured into it, I prefer to take the extra time and experience everything at the Narrators natural pace. 

Especially the Good+ Narrators. Man, they can pull you into a story. 

I can't do it for a couple reasons:

#1 - I feel like I'm being read to like a child. The person reading audiobooks usually sounds like a grandpa or grandma complete with patronizing voices for different characters and overacting of emotions.

#2 - The opposite of the reading ahead thing. I like to be able to say "Wait. Did I really just read that?" and then read the passage again and let it soak in. 

#3 - Some completely unexplainable thing that is a gut reaction.

I gotta say I agree with @The Invested Beard's reasons for not liking audiobooks. However, I have just realized that I might "have" to resort to audiobooks anyway because the only time I have I tend to be either walking, or working. I've tried reading a book in my hands as I'm walking between places, but it turns me into an absolute danger to myself and everyone else on the street haha.

I don't think I could consume a book for the first time that way though, but I can definitely see it working for me if I just want to reread something!

@The Invested Beard

I used to feel the same way. Then one day, on one of my numerous cross country drives, I got sick of listening to the same cd's over and over (this was almost 20 years ago.)

I stopped at a Major Bookstore to dig through their music and find something else and nothing caught my eye. While wandering around, because I do that at book stores, I walked past their Audio section and saw 'Goblet of Fire' for $14.

I figured for that price it was worth it to try something different. Jim Dale completely changed my mind about Audiobooks. I was HOOKED.

There are a lot of narrators out there who are not pleasant to listen to, and some that are merely OK, I'll grant you that. I definitely have my preferences and have even returned audiobooks because of bad narration. With jobs that involve a lot of windshield time, Audio is perfect for me.

20 minutes ago, IllNsickly said:

@The Invested Beard

I used to feel the same way. Then one day, on one of my numerous cross country drives, I got sick of listening to the same cd's over and over (this was almost 20 years ago.)

I stopped at a Major Bookstore to dig through their music and find something else and nothing caught my eye. While wandering around, because I do that at book stores, I walked past their Audio section and saw 'Goblet of Fire' for $14.

I figured for that price it was worth it to try something different. Jim Dale completely changed my mind about Audiobooks. I was HOOKED.

There are a lot of narrators out there who are not pleasant to listen to, and some that are merely OK, I'll grant you that. I definitely have my preferences and have even returned audiobooks because of bad narration. With jobs that involve a lot of windshield time, Audio is perfect for me.

I'm almost with you, just not on the book part. I will indeed listen to various lectures or sermons while driving long distances. Just can't do books.

I personally generally tend towards audio books these days. I actually prefer regular ol' reading, but i almost never have time for it, where as an audio book is much easier for me to "slot in" here and there, whether it's listening during a drive, or multi-tasking with cleaning the house, it's just more convenient to do it, rather than blocking time to sit without interruption reading.

I was one of those who hated the idea of audio books.  I grew up holding a book in my hand, and reading passages way above my reading level.

But when I started college, I simply didn't have time to read any longer.  I had to use all my non-driving time, to do homework.  And (if there was some time) play some video games.  But I was still missing reading novels, and knowing what happened in them.  So I got myself an audible subscription.  And, let me tell you all, its awesome.

When the author, works with the narrator, and the narrator puts emphasis and caring into each characters lines, it is amazing.  If you listen to the star wars novels, the audio books turn it into as much a movie as possible, including sound effects.  Most others don't go to that production level, but its still a neat thing to listen too.

And I only read the martian, on audible.  And I was laughing so hard, I had to pull over a few times.  Just from the narrators delivery of the characters lines.

I've had some flops too, where the narrator clearly didn't care.  Or I simply didn't like the novel in question.

But overall, I'd say my audio book experience has been far more positive then negative.

I listen to a fair amount of audiobooks on the train, and I've been getting into podcasts lately too. Yeah, some stories don't work so well in the audio format, but when done well they can be excellent. There's a version of Murder On the Orient Express that's absolutely lovely, for example, and I keep coming back to it.

I love audiobooks. I started listening when I was studying for med school finals and I felt too tired to read fiction after studying for most of the day. Since starting work I still struggle to read after long days. I listen before I go to sleep or on journeys, and it's just so wonderfully relaxing. But a narrator can make or break a story, so it does limit your options to a degree. For example, Michael Kramer is fantastic, so SA is a pleasure to listen to. However, I hate the way the narrators for Warbreaker and Elantris sound, to the point where I couldn't stand listening to either.

5 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I didn't like the Elantris narrator at first, but he really grew on me. Michael Krammer narrated a version of Warbringer, but you havr to be legally deaf to get a copy.

...you mean legally blind? Or is his voice so amazing/magical that only deaf people can hear it?

• Chaos locked this topic