[OB] Interlude 3!

Chaos

1 hour ago, lastofus said:

I don't think that the unmade are in command. Seeking death and destruction isn't the same as planning. Human beings can think but not everyone is a commander and they should be exceptional at it. The way Ulim talked about the commanders made me think of some ageless Listeners.

“They came to annihilate,” Kalami said. “Their goal was to wipe humankind from Roshar. They were specters, formless—some say they are spirits of the dead, others spren from Damnation.”

Also, totally missed this.. :o

The bridgemen gathered to look off the balcony. Their number included the Herdazian, who now had two arms after regrowing the one with Stormlight. 

Edited by ScavellTane

The thing I realized by listening to this is that I've been mispronouncing chitin. I've never actually heard it said, only read it, and I used to think it was the soft ch, like in church. Now I find out that it sounds like the word "kite" plus an "n", and it's weirding me out. 

Does that mean this: 

Spoiler

"Eshonai woke up. She felt her limbs trembling like leaves, her mind ensconced in a thick syrup. Each tremor brought enormous pain; the shattered remnants of Shadeplate clung to her in only a few small places. Yet somehow, she was alive. She had survived the storm and the flood."

Is a flashback?

From here: 

8 minutes ago, Agent34 said:

Does that mean this: 

Hide contents

"Eshonai woke up. She felt her limbs trembling like leaves, her mind ensconced in a thick syrup. Each tremor brought enormous pain; the shattered remnants of Shadeplate clung to her in only a few small places. Yet somehow, she was alive. She had survived the storm and the flood."

Is a flashback?

From here: 

I think someone made it up. 

7 hours ago, dvoraen said:

The Unmade or even a Shard isn't disqualified from being the source of the voice.  Heck, I wouldn't drop dead to find out it was a Voidspren or Herald at this juncture.

It seems likely that it was a Herald, as their conversation into implies a heavy involvement we didn't see from Eshonai's perspective, but that leaves a lot of questions.

“I don’t like this. What we’ve done was wrong. That creature carries my lord’s own Blade. We shouldn’t have let him keep it. He—”

How did they form the voice without Lightweaving? How are they aware of the rhythms? How could they have done this without being seen by the parshendi? Why would Venli have been involved?

Voidspren doesn't make much sense if Ulim counts that action as working against bringing back Odium. It could be that the ear had to happen in order to bring the Listeners to an appropriate mental state though. Eshonai calls the stormspren angerspren, and we know fighting hurts a person, so starting this war could have been a necessary event for Odium as well. 

It seems like we're getting more questions than answers. :(

11 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

I really hope she's dead.  Why even show her dead body if she's not dead.  Too many fake-outs if she's not.  Just leave empty armor and make it a mystery where she's gone if she's not dead.  Sad. I really liked Eshonai.

I agree. Now I would be ok with seeing her in the CR a' la secret history but if she suddenly comes back to life in the PR I am going to be disappointed.

3 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

I agree. Now I would be ok with seeing her in the CR a' la secret history but if she suddenly comes back to life in the PR I am going to be disappointed.

Unless she was just never dead. Did they ever even check to see if she was breathing? They based it on the eyes. She could be in a coma for all we know. 

If kaladin had declared her dead, I would truly think her dead. But it's kind of hard to be sure when these people aren't exactly medical professionals...

So after 3 years of many comments (from myself included) expressing concerns regarding the risk of death feeling lessened due to Szeth+Jasnah, and like 99% of the community convinced Eshonai obviously survived falling off a cliff because it's a classic death fakeout setup and she has a flashbook later Brandon pulls the classic double death fake-out and offs the character nobody expected.  Well played!

5 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

CR= Cognitive REALM.  Sorry that took way to long to decipher.  Yeah, I hope full dead.  It would be sad but effective.

1 minute ago, Steeldancer said:

Unless she was just never dead. Did they ever even check to see if she was breathing? They based it on the eyes. She could be in a coma for all we know. 

If kaladin had declared her dead, I would truly think her dead. But it's kind of hard to be sure when these people aren't exactly medical professionals...

Well her blade was still there so..

18 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

JUST BECAUSE YOU DIDNT KILL OFF ANYONE BIG IN THE LAST BOOK WASNT GIVING YOU PERMISSION TO KILL OFF ESHONAI GOSH DARN IT

14 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

WHAT?! WHAT?!!! WHAAAAAT?!!!!!!!

Okay, I haven't finished the interlude but WHAAAAAAT???????????

I WAS FOND OF ESHONAI. SHE ROCKED. SHE WAS MEANT TO BE OUR WILLSHAPER.

What really gets me about this is that she survived the fall.  She set things up so that some of her people could escape, could get away unchanged, unfused.  Then she had the fight and got kicked off the ledge and SURVIVED THE STORMING FALL, only to drown ignobly in the chasm with the rain from both storms.

That is just insult to injury.  Weighed down by the armor that let her survive.  Killed by the thing that kept her alive, Holding on by a blade in the stone.  That's just... damnation.  damnation!

And as for loopholes... Well, she would have lost consciousness at some point, and maybe the blade would have misted on her when that happened, only to reform when she died, but then, she would have ended somewhere else, so maybe the command to not mist was locked before she lost consciousness.  Ugh.  I don't see a way for her to still be alive.  Especially given how annoyed many people, myself included, were after all the survivals in Words of Radiance, and the Retconning of the ending...  I think she is gone.

That just storming sucks.  Dead in a ditch indeed.

15 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

I think I'd trust the listeners on their own biology over Kaladin. She's quite clearly dead. They pulled the armor from her body and death is not hard to detect up close. (Beyond that, if she's in a coma in the Chasms she's dead. No way around it.) 

@Stark

Yes, that's my problem too, this looks like a pointless death.

Really, I think she's dead, but I consider a compromise - until proven wrong I believe Eshonai died in order to save the escaped Listeners.

For her the people were always on the first position, not she herself and her own life - in contrast to Venli.

I can't belive so many people are considering her "death" final, such a waste just to give us an out of the blue redemption arc for the sister ? nah, for this alone i won't believe it yet, let alone the mysterious spren and the convinient reason given for her blade to be around.

If there were many fake outs in the previous book, i'd expect the first real death to have meaning and impact, not leave me more disappointed than anything.

Edited by Darvys

2 minutes ago, Darvys said:

I can't belive so many people are considering her "death" final, such a waste just to give us an out of the blue redemption arc for the sister ? nah, for this alone i won't believe it yet, let alone the mysterious spren and the convinient reason given for her blade to be around.

If the were many fake outs in the previous book, i'd expect the first real death to have meaning and impact, not leave me more disappointed than anything.

Wouldn't the first real death be Sadeas. I mean he was awful, but his death had impact. But Eshonai is not a major character. We built her up to be, but all we got is a set of interludes from her and we know we're getting flashbacks from her. But those flashbacks are likely meant to highlight something else, not her story. 

19 minutes ago, Aminar said:

Wouldn't the first real death be Sadeas. I mean he was awful, but his death had impact. But Eshonai is not a major character. We built her up to be, but all we got is a set of interludes from her and we know we're getting flashbacks from her. But those flashbacks are likely meant to highlight something else, not her story. 

I meant the death of a character readers are invested in, we only got a set of interludes but those were enough for us to infer all the possible and interesting ways her arc could go. We could see Sadeas had reached the end of the road, Eshonai barely took a step. To throw all that away for no real reason would be a shame. Yeah sure that's what death can be like, but if characters just start dropping left and right because that's life, i as a reader will stop connecting with them, there's only so much fictional loss my little heart can take.

Edited by Darvys

10 minutes ago, Darvys said:

I meant the death of a character readers are invested in, we only got a set of interludes but those were enough for us to infer all the possible and interesting ways her arc could go. We could see Sadeas had reached the end of the road, Eshonai barely took a step. To throw all that away for no real reason would be a shame. Yeah sure that's what death can be like, but if characters just start dropping left and right because that's life, i as a reader will stop connecting with them, there's only so much fictional loss my little heart can take.

Readers get invested in every character. Look at the whole May Aladar thing. Potential is a horrible thing to waste, but Eshonai was almost certainly dead as is. And she had a good arc in the sense she told us about the world. The rest of that potential is... Ephemeral. Sadeas as could have had a great storyline too. 

34 minutes ago, Aminar said:

Wouldn't the first real death be Sadeas.

No.  I'm fairly certain the first real death's were those Redshirts guarding Gavilar in Szeth's prologue.  You know, the one who got sharded, and the other who was impaled on his own spear, when Szeth gave his Lashing demo?  Pretty sure they got permadeath.

Man, that sentence sounds full of inuendo when Read aloud.

If we are talking first named character real death, then we have Gavilar.

If we are talking about the first character we got invested in, and felt bad for the death... Man, there was that sick slave in the beginning, or that nameless Bridgeman who helped Kaladin on his first run.

If we are talking invested, named characters, well then we are getting into 17th Shard level of specificity and complexity.  Fitting.  But you Have Maps.  You have Dunny.  Ym.  And so many others beyond and before just Sadeas.

Plus all those poor shardblades...

Just now, Stark said:

No.  I'm fairly certain the first real death's were those Redshirts guarding Gavilar in Szeth's prologue.  You know, the one who got sharded, and the other who was impaled on his own spear, when Szeth gave his Lashing demo?  Pretty sure they got permadeath.

Man, that sentence sounds full of inuendo when Read aloud.

If we are talking first named character real death, then we have Gavilar.

If we are talking about the first character we got invested in, and felt bad for the death... Man, there was that sick slave in the beginning, or that nameless Bridgeman who helped Kaladin on his first run.

If we are talking invested, named characters, well then we are getting into 17th Shard level of specificity and complexity.  Fitting.  But you Have Maps.  You have Dunny.  Ym.  And so many others beyond and before just Sadeas.

Plus all those poor shardblades...

Heh. I was referring to characters with a lot of screen time and development, but fair enough.