[OB] Interlude 3!

Chaos

2 minutes ago, IllNsickly said:

At the end of WoR, I guess I didn't have any doubts about her death.

What is this spren that emerged from her body, though? I bet that's gonna be a nifty thing.

I’d have to go back and look but was that the same spren that was following her around in the interludes in WoR?

So very interesting stuff. I'm of a mind that the Unmade are definitely "unmade" Listener cognitive shadows. Eshonai? Why you gotta go and die? I'll miss you, but I'm not counting you completely out of the running yet.

Oh and this really reinforces for me why I don't listen to audiobooks. Bleh. Give me written text any day.

Edited by The Invested Beard

17 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

I’d have to go back and look but was that the same spren that was following her around in the interludes in WoR?

I checked, it is.

Eshonai waved her hand as she climbed the central spire of Narak, trying to shoo away the tiny spren . It danced around her head, shedding rings of light from its cometlike form. Horrid thing. Why would it not leave her alone?

I 11

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

Ok, totally looney theory here, but what the heck.

What if the Shin are Odium's people? More specifically, what if they are the lighteyes of Odium and the Listeners are the darkeyes?

Some supporting facts:

Yixli, the Spren seen by Kaladin in the meetup city for the awakened parshmen is described as having Shin eyes, also the strange manner in which the stone  always rises up to meet her feet.

In the Interlude venli describes Ulim the spren as looking like a human, but with strange eyes. Could they be perhaps Shin eyes?

Now the big shocker, the honor blades were gather by the shins after Aharietiam because they were meant to be kept out of the hands of the opponents of Odium.

This is more along the lines of this speculation, but what if Szeth was named truthless because he took up the sword, not to fight against the desolation, but to fight for it. Perhaps the Stone  Shamans back in Shinovar are the ageless masters that Ulim speaks of as well.

I'm sure this theory will be shot down in short order, but interesting to think about.

1 hour ago, Beatsmorn said:

The part when Venli noticed something weird going on with her body. U know, when spren associated with KR started flying around her.

Her spren and then making itself visible to someone other than Eshonai leads most to believe Venli may become radiant more than anything. That and it's loyal and mourning.

WHAT?! WHAT?!!! WHAAAAAT?!!!!!!!

Okay, I haven't finished the interlude but WHAAAAAAT???????????

I WAS FOND OF ESHONAI. SHE ROCKED. SHE WAS MEANT TO BE OUR WILLSHAPER.

Edit after finishing.

Firstly I don't know how people on audible can do it. Wew! What do you guys do on these crazy parts when you can't just read faster?

Secondly, theories...

Option one Eshonai just needs stormlight if nahel bond can kick in to save her...of course this needs her alive. And since we Shardblade was unbonded... Doesn't work

Ehrm, Nale is around with a revival fabrial...but he's probably too late and would have no interest in helping. 

OMG, just...why did this have to be published before the book came out. First time I regret reading/hearing something from OB. Tomorrow my concentration is going to be zero.

Edited by WhiteLeeopard

20 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

WHAT?! WHAT?!!! WHAAAAAT?!!!!!!!

Okay, I haven't finished the interlude but WHAAAAAAT???????????

I WAS FOND OF ESHONAI. SHE ROCKED. SHE WAS MEANT TO BE OUR WILLSHAPER.

Edit after finishing.

Firstly I don't know how people on audible can do it. Wew! What do you guys do on these crazy parts when you can't just read faster?

Secondly, theories...

Option one Eshonai just needs stormlight if nahel bond can kick in to save her...of course this needs her alive. And since we Shardblade was unbonded... Doesn't work

Ehrm, Nale is around with a revival fabrial...but he's probably too late and would have no interest in helping. 

OMG, just...why did this have to be published before the book came out. First time I regret reading/hearing something from OB. Tomorrow my concentration is going to be zero.

We listen at speeds that mere mortals can barely process(2x at minimum). This sounded like the reader was talking to an infant. 

1 minute ago, Aminar said:

We listen at speeds that mere mortals can barely process(2x at minimum). This sounded like the reader was talking to an infant. 

I can handle 2x speeds but I was far too impatient to figure it out above. In any case...even 2x speed or higher can't match excited eyes at the climax. Of course this way there is no danger of your eyes accidentally dropping to a paragraph below and reading a bombshell that means you can't focus on your original paragraph.

Just now, WhiteLeeopard said:

I can handle 2x speeds but I was far too impatient to figure it out above. In any case...even 2x speed or higher can't match excited eyes at the climax. Of course this way there is no danger of your eyes accidentally dropping to a paragraph below and reading a bombshell that means you can't focus on your original paragraph.

Agreed. I avoid audio as a first method with my favorite books. 

2 minutes ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

I usually do 1.5. If I go to 2x I feel like I miss some of the new interpretation I'm looking for. Dramatic pauses and the like.

Eventually the brain adapts and you start picking up those nuances. I think I went from 1.5 to 2x over like 4 or 5 months, upping it a little at a time. 

57 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

It is for the Reading Faster reason that I prefer Audio as my medium. And I listen at 1x speed. 

When I have an E-Book or the Real (smelling like magic and dreams and perfection) thing in my hands, I DEVOUR books. I also miss a TON of information the first few reads. Nuances, hints and tidbits snuck into conversation or scene descriptions.

It would be a minimum 3 reads for me to even begin following most of the conversations present on the 17th Shard or any other forums.

Also, I LOVE the story. Journey before Destination. Even the 4th or 32nd time through a book, I take immense pleasure in it, start to finish.

This may have been covered and I missed it, but is Ulim bonded to Demid or Venli, or is he a non-bonded voidspren who is leading the group, like Yixli? I like his grumpy personality. These voidspren have a bit of snark.

I am so sad for Eshonai! I had high hopes she would help out the newly awakened parshmen. About her comet spren, if it is a nahel bond spren who had bonded with her, wouldn't she have heard the screams from the dead shardblade? And if it had not yet bonded, she wouldn't have access to stormlight, in which case she is definitely dead.

The other option a few folks have mentioned is that the comet spren is part of Eshonai's soul that was pushed out when the voidspren came in. If this is the case, can she move into a new body and still be Eshonai in another form? This might be too zombie-like for SA, but I'm grasping at any straw to keep Eshonai around. 

48 minutes ago, Aminar said:

Eventually the brain adapts and you start picking up those nuances. I think I went from 1.5 to 2x over like 4 or 5 months, upping it a little at a time. 

Will Michael Kramer and Kate Reading still be able to lull me to sleep at that speed?

Looks like there is merit to the "Eshoni is the author of Oathbringer" theory after all! Honestly though, I still lean toward Dalinar as the author. 

Also, Is Ulim saying he is a Redemption Spren or that it escaped Redemption Spren? If he is Redemption Spren, I don't see the redemption part of its character. It seems more like Retribution Spren or something by the way it talks.

Edited by Varenus