My misc/oddly specific theories

Cyanic

These are for theories that I think up of, but are too esoteric and specific that it wouldn't warrant its own thread. (Will likely update this thread when I have new theories, but won't bump it up until I have at least 3 new ones. If that's allowed at least) 

Theories are bolded, explanations are afterward.

Here we go:

1) "[...] It didn't scream." Would be either a chapter ender or a POV transition in a later Stormlight Archive book.

I can imagine a scene where a Radiant, most likely-definitely Kaladin is fighting another Shardbearer, when he accidentally touches the opponent's sword somehow, he doesn't hear screams. This would imply that the opponent is either also a radiant or has an Honorblade.

2) Kaladin will use Syl's Shardform to better effect and augment his fighting style.

I can see Kaladin using Syl in spearform as a ranged attack, extending the spear's shaft, maybe even being able to wrap around to home in on targets.

3) Eshonai will be able to exert her will on stormform (also she's still alive after that fall)

Temporarily or permanently. The screaming self will be able to wrest control of her actions and intentions at a critical moment.

2017/11/11 - Only two for now, I'll reserve the larger theories for actual threads.

2017/11/11 - Added another theory a few minutes after.

Edited by Cyanic

10 hours ago, Cyanic said:

2) Kaladin will use Syl's Shardform to better effect and augment his fighting style.

I can see Kaladin using Syl in spearform as a ranged attack, extending the spear's shaft, maybe even being able to wrap around to home in on targets.

I don't doubt that Kaladin, and the others, will get better at this but either has its limitations. The biggest of which is going to be size. 

Questioner

We've seen that the "Sylblade" can change shape to fit Kaladin's needs. Is there a limit on the size of the blade that Syl can become?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Okay. And can you share with me what the upper limits on those sort of things would be?

Brandon Sanderson

Upper limits of hers are about human-sized.

Questioner

Is it always going to be something that has to be a fighting utensil, or does it have to...?

Brandon Sanderson

That's going to RAFO. You'll have to see.

[...]

I will say this. You have seen Syl changing shape from the first time she appears onscreen and she is frequently not a weapon.

Footnote: Edgedancer answers this fairly unequivically with the shard-rod and shard-fork

So if Syl can change into any shape, would she be able to form a human body, or at least some kind of body for her to inhabit and use in the real world?

If so, what would happen when she touched the floor? As I assume she would just fall straight through, cutting/displacing everything along the way, as I also assume that's what shardblades do. Additionally, even if she could walk around, she wouldn't be able to touch anyone not wearing shardplate, as she would just instantly cause them to either die or lose the use of wherever she touched them. But this could be useful for combat, as you have an indestructible warrior, who instantly kills anyone who touches her.

1 hour ago, KhanBoltNo4503 said:

So if Syl can change into any shape, would she be able to form a human body, or at least some kind of body for her to inhabit and use in the real world?

If so, what would happen when she touched the floor? As I assume she would just fall straight through, cutting/displacing everything along the way, as I also assume that's what shardblades do. Additionally, even if she could walk around, she wouldn't be able to touch anyone not wearing shardplate, as she would just instantly cause them to either die or lose the use of wherever she touched them. But this could be useful for combat, as you have an indestructible warrior, who instantly kills anyone who touches her.

Um, it sounds like the cutting edge of a shardblade is what cuts. So her nails maybe. But remember that the handle of the sword, and the shaft of the spear weren't cutting anything. Shield was just blocking, etc. I also suspect that a "blunt" weapon like a hammer wouldn't have the soul-cutting abilities of a shardblade, though the weight/size thing would still make it an effective weapon. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes a tactic to use when fighting someone in Shardplate.

So what I'm saying is that Syl in a physical human for wouldn't just fall through the earth, since her feet wouldn't be a blade.

Do spren have limits to how quick they can transform? I remember in the fight with Szeth Kaladin was using Syl as a shield to block one blow, the directly back into a spear to (or was that the hammer) to counterattack.

I'm sure there might be, but has anyone asked Brandon this?

19 hours ago, KhanBoltNo4503 said:

Off topic but this comment made me think of shardplate! What if thats what shardplate is, the spren making a suit of armor out of themselves, kinda like an Iron man and Jeeves (I'm not sure if that was the computers name in his suit lol)scenario. I think it's exactly like that, and since it's a suit there would be enough spren investure left over as a sword or spear, so u dont need multiple spren for blade and plate, u just have to reach the level of, idk how to explain it, mental telepathy with your spren? The next idea leads to that?

Had to get the idea out fast else id forget!!! Sorry!!!

Edited by gokucauthon
Reason for off topic

On 12/11/2017 at 1:07 AM, Calderis said:

@KhanBoltNo4503 the biggest issue I can see with that is being more than just a statue. The Spren can take any shape, but they have to be metal.

Flexibility could be a problem for taking a humanoid shape. 

If Syl is not flexible, as you suggest and makes more sense, couldn't she just constantly be changing her shape under Kaladin's will, such as shortening one side of one arm to bend it.

10 minutes ago, KhanBoltNo4503 said:

If Syl is not flexible, as you suggest and makes more sense, couldn't she just constantly be changing her shape under Kaladin's will, such as shortening one side of one arm to bend it.

No proof of this yet, but I believe the Spren can only be summoned, and thus change physical form, when in physical contact with their Radiant. 

• Chaos locked this topic