Best of Portal Fantasy

Ammanas

So I just wanted to share some of my favorites portal fantasy books and anyone is welcome to add any of their favorites. I define portal fantasy as someone from the world we know crossing over to a completely different world through magical means.

1. A Different Kingdom, Riding the Unicorn, and The Way to Babylon by Paul Kearney. These three books are unrelated to one another, but are all excellent by one of the best, and most criminally under read authors out there. There are some adult situations and language so I would not recommend reading it to young kids.

2. Miserere by Teresa Frohock. I think the following article does a better job describing it than I ever could:

https://www.tor.com/2013/11/21/under-the-radar-teresa-frohocks-miserere-an-autumn-tale/

3. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. Needs no introduction and I couldn't leave it off the list.

4. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Ok so technically they use technology to get to these amazing worlds, but I will use Clarke's third law as my excuse. Just a really fun book.

Edited by Ammanas

The Dark Tower by Steven King

It has some horror elements to it but on the whole I think it's well classified as fantasy/dark fantasy or things of that sort.  Our world and Mid-World share a connection and parts of the story take place on Earth and alternative past Earth.