Splinter intent mind-warping.

Ataraxian Wist

Question

4 answers to this question

I personally theorize that splinter-human(or any sentient being) host relationships work the same way as shard-vessel relationship but on a very different scale. But while shards are so much more powerful that they overwhelm the vessels, thats does not seem to be true with the splinters we have not seen.

I saw a WOB that said that the vessel’s personality influences the Shard’s intent, so I guess it’s the other way around, as long as the vessel remains under the main characteristic of the Shard. 

Questioner

I was just wondering if a Shard's Intent can change over time without changing holders?

Brandon Sanderson

Without changing holders? The holder can have a slight effect on how the-- a big effect on how the Intent is interpreted, but what the Intent is stays the same. So it's gonna be filtered. The way it manifests can change, and you'll see that happening, but it is the same Intent. When it was broken off, it took a certain thing with it.

This also made me think that sometime, we’ll see a Shard like Odium changing holder, which would be really interesting, maybe Odium can actually be a good Shard depending on the vessel.

But, back to the topic, I don’t think Splinters can affect the holder, as it only has one part of the intent.

Edited by Talanelat'Elin Stonesinew

Yeah, the holder can affect to an extent how the Intent gets interpreted (we have WoB that if Sadeas could take up Honor, the result would be different then what we see with Tanavast as Honor's Vessel) but we have another WoB that makes it clear that this 'interpretation' doesn't permanently alter the Shard. So a different Vessel could interpret 'Odium' differently than Rayse is currently doing. Brandon has said that he doesn't consider any of the Shards in and of themselves 'good' or 'evil', though in the case of Odium I'm not sure how good a Shard you could really get out of 'God's divine hatred' without some other Intent acting to help channel that hatred. I imagine that even the best-intentioned of Vessels would get twisted over time, like Ati and Ruin.

11 hours ago, Sazedezas said:

Can large enough Splinters have a similar effect on their hosts?

Any amount of Influence will influence you, more Investiture is there and stronger the influence is.

Of course in the case of a Splinter this is a bit vague as the Splinters is another entity junctioned to your Soul so probably the influence is less than having directly an equivalent amount of Investiture in your soul