Devising a Dust-Powered Magic System

NamelessThirteenth

So, there's been this concept floating around in the dark corridors of my mind, and it goes like this...

The magic is powered by the powdered dust of a certain rock. This dust - Lifedust - is used by mages in different ways. The esscence of it is that they create a temporary bond between them and the Dust, allowing them to influence it in certain ways. This connection is temporary, and depends on the strength of the Dustmage, the fineness of the powder and the distance between them (the closer the better). The problem I'm having trouble with is figuring out the power profiles: what can the Dustmages do with the Dust? Are they divided into orders? Do the powers calssify into certain groups?

This is why I've decided to take ideas from the Forumgoers - you - about these powers. I'll consider anything and everything, so please help me out :D:D:D

If there's no other type of magic, then Dustmage is an unnecessary specific title.  If there are other types, then it's important.

Hmm.  Take some Dust and bond it.  From Dust, create.  

I think I like the idea that a Dust bond is (or can be) permanent better.  Like, with your strength of will, you bond a specific quantity of Dust and that's what you have to work with.  If it's scattered Dust, you can sense it, call it if it's in range of you, and it will slowly make its way back, but while it's missing your power is lessened.

With Dust, you can make constructs that scale in power based on the mass of Dust that you can will into shape.  If you're not particularly good, you can only make something insubstantial; it takes focus and understanding to create something that's actually solid.  You need to pass a specific threshold of density to instill a construct with sight, hearing, motion.  A higher threshold grants it purpose, and still higher grants it greater intelligence, agility and durability.  The highest tier allows the mage to send his or her own consciousness into the construct, effectively piloting it.  If the construct is destroyed, the only thing lost is the dust that is presumably now held by the mage's enemies.

On 10/11/2017 at 10:38 AM, Talanic said:

I think I like the idea that a Dust bond is (or can be) permanent better.  Like, with your strength of will, you bond a specific quantity of Dust and that's what you have to work with.  If it's scattered Dust, you can sense it, call it if it's in range of you, and it will slowly make its way back, but while it's missing your power is lessened.

I can get behind this...good idea  (http://i.imgur.com/3YfOz4J.gif)

On 10/11/2017 at 10:38 AM, Talanic said:

With Dust, you can make constructs that scale in power based on the mass of Dust that you can will into shape.  If you're not particularly good, you can only make something insubstantial; it takes focus and understanding to create something that's actually solid.  You need to pass a specific threshold of density to instill a construct with sight, hearing, motion.  A higher threshold grants it purpose, and still higher grants it greater intelligence, agility and durability.  The highest tier allows the mage to send his or her own consciousness into the construct, effectively piloting it.  If the construct is destroyed, the only thing lost is the dust that is presumably now held by the mage's enemies.

This is also pretty cool, but it kinda starts entering the whole golem thingy, which I like, but I think may be hard to pull off without sounding cliche. Even so, this may form only one "Branch" of the power. Any more bright ideas?

Edited by NamelessThirteenth

Well, scattering bonded Dust where an enemy (or victim, at least) will get some on their clothes and you can track them, roughly.  And remember, if you do go the golem route, practitioners are limited by how much of this rock dust they can carry versus how large the thing they want to animate is (assuming there's reason not to keep it animated and walking around with you all the time - perhaps it's best to make it always a projection of the mage's mind).

Hmmm...could the dust perhaps be used in a way to heighten combat ability?

I came up with two(ish) methods:

• they burn the dust, and then this "dustsmoke" can be bent into illusions. The level of illusions can increase, from images to ilusions that cause actual sensations (the dust enters the nose and pores, providing sensations)
  • They cause the dust to explode - this has limitations though. The distance between the Mage and his Dust, however, cannot be more than a couple of centimetres. Due to this, they wear thick leather gloves and hold the dust in them, then slap the dust into faces and blow it up. the gloves are built with a couple of pockets for dust storage
  •  They put the dust in someone's water or food, allow it to course through their body. Then, they can explode the poisoned individual by touching their skin. Size of explosion depends on the amount of dust, and dust is obviouslt shat out after 3 days. A good, weak mage knows when to strike, so that the dust is in a vital area.

What do you think?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 7:14 PM, NamelessThirteenth said:

They put the dust in someone's water or food, allow it to course through their body. Then, they can explode the poisoned individual by touching their skin. Size of explosion depends on the amount of dust, and dust is obviouslt shat out after 3 days. A good, weak mage knows when to strike, so that the dust is in a vital area.

That is terrifying and creative