Arcanum Feature Suggestions

BeskarKomrk

10 hours ago, neithan said:

Search results should have a maximum preview length. Having to scroll through a State of the Sanderson in search isn't fun.

We call it dynamic scrolling - sometimes you scroll a lot, sometimes you scroll a little. Makes the entire website experience more exciting :P

In all seriousness though, it's a good idea. We'll probably get around it sometime.

First of all, the site is excellent. The hours of work put into this must have been immense, and the work is greatly appreciated. This system is so much better than the old one. 

I do have a question about mobile features. I don't seem to be able to use the search function when viewing the site on my phone. When I press the question mark symbol, it turns from white to orange, but nothing else happens. Not sure if it's something with Safari or not. Just thought I'd ask if the mobile version of the site had the search feature active yet. 

14 minutes ago, Andy92 said:

First of all, the site is excellent. The hours of work put into this must have been immense, and the work is greatly appreciated. This system is so much better than the old one. 

I do have a question about mobile features. I don't seem to be able to use the search function when viewing the site on my phone. When I press the question mark symbol, it turns from white to orange, but nothing else happens. Not sure if it's something with Safari or not. Just thought I'd ask if the mobile version of the site had the search feature active yet. 

So the magnifying glass should look like this:

search.png

Does that not appear on Safari?

I don't really have Apple devices to test these things...

19 minutes ago, Chaos said:

So the magnifying glass should look like this:

search.png

Does that not appear on Safari?

I don't really have Apple devices to test these things...

Here's what happens on my phone. The magnifying glass turns orange but I don't get a drop down like that. Same thing on the left side. If I press the button in the top left, I don't get an extra side menu. I can try another phone browser later as a test. 

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Calderis said:

@Andy92 as a 100% Mobile user, the search works. Make sure your pressing the magnifying glass at the end of the search bar. If you press the large one again in the upper right corner, you just close the search window. I've done it countless times, but never thought of it as an issue. 

It's probably a browser/OS issue of some kind.

Might be an OS issue because I tried Chrome and it's doing the same thing. I'm still running iOS 9.3 since Apple is great about pushing out updates that their older phones can't run well. 

I think I understand what @Calderis is saying but when I press the large magnifying class, the search menu doesn't open at all. So I'm guessing it's something with my OS. 

@Chaos iPhone 6s. Decently newer model so it's kinda weird.

@Calderis Haven't really noticed issues before. The similar looking drop downs on this website have always worked fine on my phone. The menu on the top left of the Arcanum site (the one that looks like 3 straight lines) doesn't do anything for me either. But the equivalent menu on the 17th Shard site works fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

After looking through Arcanum, these are the features that I feel are most needed:

1. Phrase Searching: It would be great if this was an option in the Advanced Search tab.

2. Chronological Search: Basically, this would be the ability to make search results show the newest results at the top, instead of the most relevant.

3. Word Exclusion: This would be the ability to exclude certain words from searches. For example, if I wanted to exclude all the entries where Brandon RAFOs a question.

4. Liking WoBs: It would be very useful if people were able to upvote useful WoBs, thereby allowing people to know which WoBs give the best information.

5. Commenting: The ability to comment on WoBs would be useful.

As far as I know, these are farther down the pipeline:

6 hours ago, Straw said:

Chronological Search: Basically, this would be the ability to make search results show the newest results at the top, instead of the most relevant.

6 hours ago, Straw said:

Liking WoBs: It would be very useful if people were able to upvote useful WoBs, thereby allowing people to know which WoBs give the best information.

And these are already possible:

6 hours ago, Straw said:

Phrase Searching: It would be great if this was an option in the Advanced Search tab.

6 hours ago, Straw said:

Word Exclusion: This would be the ability to exclude certain words from searches. For example, if I wanted to exclude all the entries where Brandon RAFOs a question.

Although I have to admit, we could use a fancy Advanced Search Interface like Google's.

Edited by Oversleep

It's probably not something needed immensely but I'd like to see an ability for a source-uploader to add a note to their content that Arcanists can see and reference.
Something like when they upload a picture of an answer written in the book they can say "question was: X" or an audio-uploader can relate some info about it, like "5m-7m audio bad due to fire alarm. Mono-track disregard Left Channel" or "Recorder placed on speaker at left-side of stage" or some such.
The communication currently takes a different route through the forums, but having just a quick note/description when uploading sources could see some use.

Edited by Zmann966

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ookla the Melodious said:

Perhaps a way to save or favorite WoBs in a personal list or something, in order to be able to find your favorite ones easier or have the ones you want for faster reference?

that's on the list to create, sometime in 2018 I think. you could, if you wanted, keep a list of URLs to questions in either a text file on your pc or a coppermind user page or some other place until then!

Unless I have misunderstood something, when you use Advanced Search and enter let's say 2 tags, it will come up with WoB containing either of those tags. What if I want to search for WoBs containing both of these 2 tags? It's also nice to see that the user/personal WoB list has been already recommended, I heavily support that idea.

On November 10, 2017 at 7:48 PM, Andy92 said:

So just to follow up on my issue with the search function on mobile...it works now lol. I didn't change anything as far as phone OS or web browser, but no complaints. :D

On 12/7/2017 at 7:27 AM, TheSecondKing said:

Unless I have misunderstood something, when you use Advanced Search and enter let's say 2 tags, it will come up with WoB containing either of those tags. What if I want to search for WoBs containing both of these 2 tags?

I believe entries with both tags will show up first though.