[OB] Oathbringer chapters 31 & 32

Mestiv

34 minutes ago, Fourth Of The Night said:

Huh! I've never thought to listen to the books at a faster rate! You don't lose anything with it going so fast?

There's no distortion when using the Audible app, at least. It might be a personal thing about how fast to set it. I'd personally never listen to it slower than 1.5x, but 2 seems to be right for me. Much faster than that and I need the text in front of me, because it's easy to get lost if your mind wanders for a second. 

Even increasing it to only 1.5x would cut 16 12 16 hours off a 48 hour long audiobook.

Edited by Marethyu316
Changed my correct calculation to the wrong amount...Thanks, Leyrann!

Ahahahaaha this was so awesome you guys. 

I am so, so, so excited for next Tuesday. 

Ok, Important Things:

I was right! Armies of normal parshfolk manipulated/controlled by Odious Voidbringers (now known as The Fused). 

Kaladin continues to be awesome and thoughtful. And a Big Darn Hero. 

Gloryspren radiant sub-Spren confirmed! 

Void light? Or corrupted Stormlight? Only time will tell! 

Hopefully, instead of getting angry and feeling betrayed, the parshfolk that Kaladin travelled with will be thoughtful and notice the difference in behaviour - that they will reject the control of the voidbringers who will seek to enslave/control them (whereas Kaladin guided them and helped them be more independent). 

With luck, they will join Rlain (and hopefully Eshonai!!!) in a Free Listener Army. 

On Shallans chapter: JASNAH IS BACK!!! Yes! I’m so excited! She’s awesome and this will be super interesting! Hopefully she helps with Shallan’s sanity!! 

Also, Unmade are almost certainly people who were Unmade (someone earlier suggested this: you have my upvote). Re-Shepnir’s trapping appears to be exceptional, and Shallan is on her way to discovering the depredations of the Unmade in Roshar. Awesome. 

1 minute ago, Jaconis said:

Just to throw something out there, does Shallan’s thoughts on Re-Shepnir help or hurt the theory that the unmade are somehow related to the breaking of the Heralds?

I’d say help. With the assumption that the torture is Odium ripping out a part of their spirit web. He then merges it with a spren to create the unmade.

2 hours ago, Leyrann said:

I'm so going to enjoy reading all speculation.

*evil grin*

Sorry to repeat myself but storm you again. I'm adding this to my signature. 

1 hour ago, dantlee said:

JASNAAAAAAAAHHHH 

I CANNOT WAIT A FULL WEEK FOR THIS ISH 

I  found it interesting, but for me it will be easier to wait this week, simply because the POVs are wrapped up.

1 hour ago, QuantumHarmonix said:

Do you think there is any chance that we aren’t really seeing Jasnah. It would be a cool twist if what we are seeing is the midnight mother imitating her via the memories she gained from Shallan. Then when Jasnah does show up, nobody would know who to trust. Though I assume that Jasnah’s family would eventually ask things that Shallan didn’t know, so the disception wouldn’t work long.

NO. don't suggest that, and her imitations were tar looking.

1 hour ago, Scriptorian said:

The first interlude needs to be from Jasnah's perspective. And she needs to tearfully run to embrace Shallan and apologize for leaving her. There are feels. And then she realizes that everyone is watching and Elsecalls away in embarrassment. And we spend the rest of the book trying to find her again. 

It's probably a good thing I didn't write this book. 

Poof, Jasnah is no more.

45 minutes ago, Scriptorian said:

*sigh* I'm going to miss the lost potential of the Jasnah-Hoid travel log. I suppose there is always the chance it will come up in Jasnah's flashbacks...

Hoid: Would you like to know how I judge the experience of your company, measured in terms of blows to the head?

Jasnah: Shut up, Wit.

Pattern: No mating...

That's what I was the most excited for.

Chapter 31: Demands of the Storm

• City of Revolar / Re-Shephir : They both start with Re.  I'm wondering if there is any connection.

“Besides, I’m less a force of nature and more one of the raw powers of creation transformed by collective human imagination into a personification of one of their ideals.” She grinned at him.

• Favorite Quote from this chapter!  (Is this a reference to something? if it is, I missed it, but I love the quote nonetheless)

“One is wrong. I mean, it just feels wrong. Both do, I guess.”

“Except one nearly broke my bond, while the other didn’t. The bond isn’t about what’s right and wrong, is it, Syl. It’s about what you see as right and wrong.”

I love the 17th shard!  I mean,we just discussed all of these views of morality this week.  I now have a great foundation of various views on morality that I totally applied when I read this.  Thanks sharders for preparing me to read this chapter! I love it that these views are spelled out so succinctly.

• OK: so I need a quick Parshmen refresher:  If I am wrong about any of these guys let me know.  I'm just trying to keep them straight. I'm pretty sure we will run into them again.

Khen: Woman Parshmen leader

Sah: Man Parshman

Vai: Sah's daughter

Yixli: {EDIT} Yixli is this group's yellow-white spren.

• anyone else notice that the red-eyed parshmen were described as both red-eyed parshmen and red-eyed Parshendi? The term was used interchangeably.
  • Syl can talk in Kaladin's mind now?  When did this happen.  She always had to whisper in order to hide from the yellow spren before.  She talked in his mind several times in this chapter.

SON OF HONOR / SON OF TANAVAST: This has probably been debated before -- but is Kaladin a literal offspring of Tanavast & the holder of Cultivation or does the StormFather  just call him that because he has taken the Oaths of Honor that Tanavast held highly?

Wow, Syl said in his mind. What did you just do? With the storm?

“Not enough,” Kaladin whispered.

You’ll never be able to do enough to satisfy yourself, Kaladin.

I feel that way everyday Kaladin.  It is never enough.

• The talk of the violet glow and black-ish violet glow remind me of Venli and of the violet moon. It also reminds me of the stone Gavilar had that is now lost with Hoid's flute.  I suppose that since Luke's lightsaber was recovered that the stone and the flute will show up sometime.

Color & Spren Observations for Chapter 31 spoiled/hidden for length

Spoiler

SPREN OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 31: Demands of the Storm

yellow-white spren

gloryspren

windspren

COLOR OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 31: Demands of the Storm

yellow-white spren

her eyes glowed red (Fused)

red gaze

red eyes (the Fused)

red-eyed parshwoman

eyes trailed red

blackish-violet glow

red-eyed parshman

faint violet glow

red-eyed Parshendi

Assasin in White

red-eyed parshmen

figure with glowing red eyes

Chapter 32: Company

For I, of all people, have changed.

—From Oathbringer, preface

Please let this be Dalinar.  After all the hypocrite comments; and the dark past that I am sure we will see worse than we have already seen, I really want Dalinar to be a changed man.

Fish -- to those who were debating last week Dalinar's metaphor of a fish -- yes, it is confirmed that there are fish on Roshar.  And they live in water. And that is all we really know. They could be our versions of tadpoles or frogs or something.

Midnight Mother = Re-Shephir is confirmed as well.  Thanks Mr Sanderson for tiding this up so tightly. I still wonder where the name Re-Shephir comes from. Sounds similar to Sylphrena to me. 

“They’re out there, and always have been,” Shallan said. She felt exhausted, and her eyes were drooping in direct defiance of her insistence to Adolin that she was not that kind of tired.

I'm assuming Adolin was worried if Shallan had been drinking Horneater White again and was hungover. Is this foreshadowing for an alcohol addiction for Shallan?

JASNAH!  Hello.  I'm so excited to see you! I've missed you and I'm glad you didn't really die because we need you to figure out the mysteries of Urithiru.  How did you ever find the place?   Did you walk all the way to Urithiru? Is Hoid with you?  How sweet of you to visit Shallan.  Do you know that Dalinar and Navani are married? What do you think Evi would say about that? Do you want to go visit the library? Are you going to tell us about where you have been? What have you learned? Are you and Shallan going to be BFF's? Because Shallan is an adult now.  She is not the same ward that you were murdered in front of.  Looking forward to your POV! See you on Monday night (Tuesday Eastern time) at the signing!!!!

Color & Spren Observations for Chapter 32 spoiled/hidden for length

Spoiler

SPREN OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 32: Company

no spren noted

COLOR OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 32: Company

golden lamps

red eyes (Midnight Mother)

Edited by JoyBlu

Syl took on the form of a person just so she could glower at the little bobbing balls of light. “Mine,” she said, swatting one of them aside

:D:D:D. Not possessive or anything are you Syl?

Wow I did not expect a Shallan chapter. 

Kaladin's chapter was amazing, so much information there.

Now on to Shallan's.

Edited by WhiteLeeopard

1 hour ago, PunSpren said:

It may be pedantic but the difference between spren bonding, and voidspren fusing I think is significant!

Of course it probably has to do with the parshmen's connection to the cognitive realm, but still! 

Fusing....

It opens up a lot more ideas,

And voidlight, where is its source of investiture coming from!!!

Maybe fusing is permanent.  They can no longer change their form. 

19 minutes ago, Marethyu316 said:

There's no distortion when using the Audible app, at least. It might be a personal thing about how fast to set it. I'd personally never listen to it slower than 1.5x, but 2 seems to be right for me. Much faster than that and I need the text in front of me, because it's easy to get lost if your mind wanders for a second. 

Even increasing it to only 1.5x would cut 16 12 hours off a 48 hour long audiobook.

Edited 12 minutes ago by Marethyu316
Bad math

Original math was correct. 1.5x speed is 2/3rd of the time is 32 instead of 48 hours.

6 minutes ago, JoyBlu said:
  • Syl can talk in Kaladin's mind now?  When did this happen.  She always had to whisper in order to hide from the yellow spren before.  She talked in his mind several times in this chapter.

She's been doing this since the end of WoR - she spoke in his mind when she was in Sylblade form during the fight with Szeth

edit: It may be she's unable to do this unless she is in blade form.  That seems to be the case anyway.

Edited by Mulk

7 minutes ago, Agent34 said:

@JoyBlu Yixli is the yellow-white voidspren that was with the group and Syl can speak in Kal's mind when in Bladeform.

How did I miss that?  Thanks!!! That is a pretty unique name.  I'll edit to show.

and thanks to @Agent34, @Mulk, and @frozndevl for being so fast with an answer.  I appreciate you guys setting me straight.

Edited by JoyBlu
include all those who answered me

So Kal refers to syl's shardform as sylblade .If kal where to ever break his bond with syl and kill her and someone else bonds with the dead Sylblade would it be referred to as Sylblade or Sylphrena?

I think Sylphrena sounds better for a standalone shard blade then sylblade.

2 minutes ago, Jigar said:

So Kal refers to syl's shardform as sylblade .If kal where to ever break his bond with syl and kill her and someone else bonds with the dead Sylblade would it be referred to as Sylblade or Sylphrena?

I think Sylphrena sounds better for a standalone shard blade then sylblade.

To be fair I think Sylblade is a fanon term that Brandon kept using by accident and therefore made canon.