[OB] Oathbringer chapters 31 & 32

Mestiv

8 minutes ago, vividox said:

Some very interesting descriptions about the Voidbringers and their dark-Stormlight. I've said this before in another thread, but I love the direction this has taken with the parshmen/Voidbringers. So much more interesting than just "the Everstorm turned them all into mindless destroyers."

Yep I completely agree and give a lot more hope that some can be saved from the darkside. 

*sigh* I'm going to miss the lost potential of the Jasnah-Hoid travel log. I suppose there is always the chance it will come up in Jasnah's flashbacks...

Hoid: Would you like to know how I judge the experience of your company, measured in terms of blows to the head?

Jasnah: Shut up, Wit.

Pattern: No mating...

Edited by Scriptorian

11 minutes ago, yulerule said:

So part 1 was setting everything up, I feel it was pretty slow overall,

Had to chuckle here; slow compared to what? We learned and saw much more than in any other Stormlight Archive part 1, I'ld say.

Of course speed will pick up, but judging from the reviews "speeding up" for Oathbringer means "heading down the slopes at breakneck speed" 

Just now, Michael Portz said:

Had to chuckle here; slow compared to what? We learned and saw much more than in any other Stormlight Archive part 1, I'ld say.

Of course speed will pick up, but judging from the reviews "speeding up" for Oathbringer means "heading down the slopes at breakneck speed" 

Perhaps the feel of slowness was amplified by the incredibly slow trickle of released chapters.

3 minutes ago, Scriptorian said:

*sigh* I'm going to miss the lost potential of the Jasnah's-Hoid travel log. I suppose there is always the chance it will come up in Jasnah's flashbacks...

Hoid: Would you like to know how I judge the experience of your company, measured in terms of blows to the head?

Jasnah: Shut up, Wit.

Pattern: No mating...

Yeah I will be extremely bummed if we do not get to see any of this trip onscreen. I was actually thinking Jasnah would be the major interlude character and we would get to see her trip with Hoid back to the gang but oh well. 

As soon as I started seeing how short the chapter was as I scrolled it took all the willpower I posses to not read the last line because I knew it was Jasnah returning. 

6 hours ago, Harbour said:

I expected the last chapter to end with someone entering the room yelling "Stormblessed has returned", but it was "Yeah, i heard that bridge boy has returned". That was... refreshing.

But of course not a too surprising reaction in the light of Shallans most recent ("hours ago") exploits. Dalinar will already have met him and had his report.

6 hours ago, yulerule said:

Perhaps the feel of slowness was amplified by the incredibly slow trickle of released chapters.

Yeah :-) Imagine the whole book released as serial ... 

1 minute ago, Ramza1890 said:

So how does everyone think Jasnah and Kaladin will get along?

Probably not very well. Kaladin just got back with the news that the transformed parshmen are actually people, not monsters, and unless Jasnah learned something similar, they're probably going to butt heads. Jasnah will be dispassionate and practical about eliminating an enemy, and Kaladin will have a fit about it. Even if that isn't exactly what happens, they are two very different people--both exhibiting personality traits that the other finds distasteful. I predict immediate friction, unless it's one of those opposites-getting-along deals.

1 minute ago, Ramza1890 said:

A haughty and self-confident lighteyes meets a disrespectful soldier with a huge chip on his shoulder and overwhelming need to sneer at perceived injustice.  I don't think they'll hate each other, but I don't see them liking each other either.  They're basically the polar opposites on the Honor/Cultivation spectrum (Kal lives in the moment of doing what is right, Jasnah plans for the future salvation of the world), and neither one has very good people skills.  I predict respect mixed with yelling.

12 minutes ago, Ramza1890 said:

Brandon tends to surprise us so i can only guess there won't be some spark of sympathy between them at least in the beginning. 

It will range from "exchanging some simple words about the work" to "Shallan/Kaladin second meeting Jasnah Edition".

Edited by Harbour

1 minute ago, Subvisual Haze said:

A haughty and self-confident lighteyes meets a disrespectful soldier with a huge chip on his shoulder and overwhelming need to sneer at perceived injustice.  I don't think they'll hate each other, but I don't see them liking each other either.  They're basically the polar opposites on the Honor/Cultivation spectrum (Kal lives in the moment of doing what is right, Jasnah plans for the future salvation of the world), and neither one has very good people skills.  I predict respect mixed with yelling.

So, a bit like Kaladin's relationship with, well, everyone, really.

All this talk about Voidforms and matching KR order's got me thinking.

Kaladin's Going to Summon a Highstorm

I don't want to derail this discussion too much, but with what we saw in Kal's chapter (finally seeing advanced level Adhesion, or so I think,) Stormform=the voidform of Windrunners, and because of his surges Kal is going to be able to do the same thing.

Btw, i think by the end of the Part 2 we will get Kaladin/Jasnah/Elhokar team moving to Kholinar.

Doubt Shallan will left Urithiru as well as Dalinar. Jasnah on other hand probably will defend the walls of Kholinar from Thunderclasts and Elhokar wanted to visit the city with Kaladin.

Put 2+2= fabulous non-chalant scholar woman+savage angry soldier+hero wannabe soft guy trio gonna rock the Book 3. 

1 minute ago, Fourth Of The Night said:

HNNNNNNNGH WHAT A RUSH.

Is it the 14th yet? I may actually read the physical book instead of listening to it. I don't know if I can experience it so slowly, I NEED IT.

I listen to the audiobooks at 2x speed. When I listen any slower it gets frustrating and 1x sounds like they are reading in a vat of cold molasses...that was a David from Steelheart-worthy metaphor!

Almost certain Kaladin breaking the Highstorm was adhesion. In WoK he used that surge on his shield and drew an entire volley of arrows towards it. Here it seems like he just took it to the next level and infused the windpren, who are then described as "sweeping to Kaladin’s sides and parting the winds around him", and made them move to either side of him and pull the wind in between towards the two sides, essentially splitting the storm down the middle. 

I have had a pet theory since WoK that mature/master Windrunners could use adhesion and gravitation together to form vacuum bubbles around themselves to "fall" with no wind resistance. So I'm pretty happy right now.

2 minutes ago, Marethyu316 said:

I listen to the audiobooks at 2x speed. When I listen any slower it gets frustrating and 1x sounds like they are reading in a vat of cold molasses...that was a David from Steelheart-worthy metaphor!

Huh! I've never thought to listen to the books at a faster rate! You don't lose anything with it going so fast?

44 minutes ago, Bort said:

Maybe this is what happened with all of those discarded Shardblades that seem to be missing. Odium claimed them, woke the Spren and corrupted it to do his bidding. The yellow Spren might be an actual Honorspren, but one who has been broken in such a way that they now, basically, serve Odium.

I like this idea, but when she/it walked around and the pillars rose from the ground gives the impression that she is a different type of spren, not wind/honor.

1 minute ago, frozndevl said:

I like this idea, but when she/it walked around and the pillars rose from the ground gives the impression that she is a different type of spren, not wind/honor.

Well, there is already speculation that the Stormform Voidbringers could be the Windrunner equivalent, which would mean that the Fused in the today's chapter would be of a different order.