[OB] Oathbringer chapters 31 & 32

Mestiv

I don't have much to add beyond that Kaladin's power up chapters always give me goose bumps. The length of Shallan's chapter was surprising, but I loved the Jasnah reveal. Also, one thing that I love about these books is how well the main characters have their own responsibilities and don't always overlap. In most books, Kaladin returning would be a big event, and all the main POV characters would attend and bear witness. Here, it was like, "meh" that's someone else's to deal with. Threads are related, but not always intertwined. I think it's realistic, especially given the militaristic nature of Kaladin's role compared to Shallan and whatever her role is. 

Though, I did expect Adolin to walk in with Kaladin.

This is incredible.

On the back of WoK, the Aimians say "Surgebinding and Shardwielding can return." That implies that "Shardwielding" is something that's gone away; it's more than just fighting with plate and blade. I think we just got our first glimpse of what shardplate can really do.

And I can not wait for epic battles fought entirely in the sky.

The battle for the Shattered Plains is over. The battle for Roshar is about to begin.

Edited by Belzedar

WOW! Can't wait for next week. Best cliff hanger ever! I think that all arguing the spren-as-shardplate theory must be pretty happy this week with all the windspren hanging around. Infusing spren other than the bonded one is pretty good evidence. I would think that Shallan would have a similar relationship with creation spren too. At least Pattern seems to be as jealous/peeved at them as Syl gets with wind spren. 

Shallan is on to discovering that the Thrill is of Odium when she says 'other Odium's sprens effects could be something ordinary to us'. 

I'm a bit upset about the Fused - is voidbinding simply copying Knights Radiant? Hope not.

Also, this cliffhanger with Jasnah, it's to much for me to handle. Still two weeks until release (it's in Poland and the book itself is split into two parts........) 

2 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Who needs relationships. I have Brandon Sanderson *sigh*

I love him I love him I love him

Relationships are good for sharing Brandon Sanderson's books with.

They're less good when Oathbringer is sent two weeks early and you have to wait a day after arriving until someone else has finished it.

Do you think there is any chance that we aren’t really seeing Jasnah. It would be a cool twist if what we are seeing is the midnight mother imitating her via the memories she gained from Shallan. Then when Jasnah does show up, nobody would know who to trust. Though I assume that Jasnah’s family would eventually ask things that Shallan didn’t know, so the disception wouldn’t work long.

Well I wasn't expecting Kaladin to decide to leave as soon as they arrived. I actually thought he would go a little farther with the group of listeners because of his internal moral debate. I was glad to see him decide to leave though he needs to report his findings it may save some freed parshman as we clearly see the Everstorm only freed them and there is another step to becoming voidbringers. Saving the humans was also awesome to see and parting the wind was amazing. Couldn't help but feel all the spren surrounding him is how plate will eventually be obtained. Thinking Syl has to allow this though. 

Syl's line here made me LOL

“Besides, I’m less a force of nature and more one of the raw powers of creation transformed by collective human imagination into a personification of one of their ideals.” She grinned at him.

Wasn't expecting a Shallan chapter and it was short. Of Course JASNAH IS BACK!! Amazing way to end part one. How did she get there? Oathgate? Shadesmar? The band is finally together (I'd say back but Kaladin hasn't meet Jasnah yet). I already feel bad for Kaladin as it will not be a great homecoming for him initially. I am REALLY hoping he doenst fall back in to depressed Kaladin.

ONE MORE WEEK! 

Posting my favorite moments as I go, so I'll go back and read later.

"Gloryspren burst up about Kaladin’s head.

Syl took on the form of a person just so she could glower at the little bobbing balls of light. “Mine,” she said, swatting one of them aside."

"The rest of the room was decorated lavishly. She was pretty sure she’d seen those tapestries in a monastery in Dalinar’s warcamp, and they were matched by luxurious furniture, golden lamps, and ceramics."

Ha! Classic Sebarial! He kept everything he rescued from that Highstorm.

"At their head was Jasnah Kholin."

WHAT?!?! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! DON'T END HERE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS SO MUCH WORSE OF A CLIFFHANGER THAN ANYTHING I COULD IMAGINE I NEED IT! 

36 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

I'm so going to enjoy reading all speculation.

*evil grin*

Storm you. 

40 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Edit: IF I WEREN'T IN CLASS I WOULD BE DANCING AROUND LIKE A MADMAN JJASSNAAAHHHHHHHHHJHJHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

My sentiments exactly, and does that mean that Hoid is back? Please.

"A hundred windspren spun in as lines of light, twisting around his arm, wrapping it like ribbons. They surged with Light, then exploded outward in a blinding sheet, sweeping to Kaladin’s sides and parting the winds around him." 

This sounds like shardplate, similar to how Syl can take a different form, than just a sword. He made a shardwall.

Syl took on the form of a person just so she could glower at the little bobbing balls of light. “Mine,” she said, swatting one of them aside.

Syl's getting jealous.

"...Dalinar had been downright nice to her—instead of being his usual stern rock of a human being."

Lies. Dalinar is a rock, no emotion.

17 minutes ago, dendrophobe said:

He went from Urithiru to the Shattered Plains. Then he flew all the way back.

Ahh yes. I reread it. I misunderstood the first time and thought he used an oathgate to get back to Urithiru at the end there. I see now he just ubered with the Stormfather. 

Edited by Jaconis

Another rose nearby, leaving a faint violet glow behind, flying as easily as he did. These two looked different from the one he’d seen earlier, leaner, with longer hair. Syl cried out in his mind, a sound like pain and surprise mixed. He could only assume that someone had run to fetch these, after he had taken to the sky.

This seems important somehow. Why would the Fused that imitate Windrunner abilities cause Syl pain? Could it be possible that the Fused are bonded with an Honor Spren that has been corrupted somehow, similar to shardblades, and that is why Syl reacts like she has? What do you all think?

6 minutes ago, Jaconis said:

Ahh yes. I reread it I misunderstood the first time and thought he used an oathgate to get back to Urithiru at end there. I see now he just ubered with the Stormfather. 

Since he was flying, I think he probably used Lyft, not Uber :P