theory on trell/set

Supreme King Z-arc

I think this is heavily implied in Bands of Mourning, when the 'faceless immortal' tells Suit something along the lines of '... you will be allowed to serve on another sphere'

This suggests that the set has interests on other planets in the cosmere. Whether they are just equal opportunity interferers or they actually control somewhere I don't think we know.

1 hour ago, Calyx said:

I think this is heavily implied in Bands of Mourning, when the 'faceless immortal' tells Suit something along the lines of '... you will be allowed to serve on another sphere'

I'm almost certain that was a metaphor

Just now, Brightlord Maelstrom said:

Could it be that he wasn't so much talking about another planet as another realm? Specifically the cognitive realm?

There is a WoB about it, but I don't know where to look. Maybe @Calderis could find it with his fancy new WoB archive access :P

I believe that WOB mentions that when the "faceless immortal" names another realm it does not really mean a realm such as the cognitive or spiritual, but some "other realm" in a more religious kind of way. I think Sanderson says that we were simply looking too far into it and he didn't mean it quite like that. 

1 hour ago, King Cole said:

There is a WoB about it, but I don't know where to look. Maybe @Calderis could find it with his fancy new WoB archive access :P

I hope you're fine with a less distinguished Arcanist like me handing out the WoB (which was taken from the Calamity signing at Austin):

Questioner

When Wax's uncle gets blown up and [the Faceless Immortal] says "you will serve us in another realm", is that a [truth] ?

Brandon Sanderson

Wait wait, who says that?

Questioner

With Suit, the end of Bands of Mourning? He gets blown up...?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh right, right...So, yeah, that is not specifically answered on purpose. That is meant to be more ambiguous, it may not even be a true statement.

Questioner

So their deity doesn't pick which souls...

Brandon Sanderson

I'm not saying yes or no, I'm just saying, don't take what they say as law, as the actual state of things. It may just be a belief on their part.

Edited by skaa

7 hours ago, Master Knapper said:

I believe he's dead, if for no other reason than Brandon has said he wants to avoid overuse reincarnation/fake deaths.  Suit is a decent villain, but not significant enough to be worth reincarnation, especially with sequence still out there.

I agree with Suit as Dead.

But in the context of his death, I assume that was not really a fake Death but rather a simple jailbreak.

The main problem is with the casual Readers. Not everyone is Cosmere Aware and not everyone also in Mistborn alone read SH. The whole concept of Cognitive Shadows is something really obscure without a wider knowledge

Suit is dead. He was only significant as a face for the Set while Telsin was hidden away. But now we know the truth about her, and Wax is most likely about to have his final confrontation with the Set in the next book. So Suit doesn't really add anything to the story anymore. And also, Wax and Wayne are supposed to be mshorter and more lighthearted, and there is a lot to wrap up in The Lost Metal. I doubt we will get a plot with Suit doing things in the Cognitive Realm. 

As for the OP, I guess it is possible that the Set came from somewhere else. I doubt it, to be honest. The two main candidates for Trell (the only plausible ones, really), are Autonomy and Odium, and neither one seems to be the type who has a dedicated group of minions following them everywhere. I think that Autonomy hijacked Trelagism, recruited a bunch of Scadrian followers, and started working. 

2 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Suit is dead. He was only significant as a face for the Set while Telsin was hidden away. But now we know the truth about her, and Wax is most likely about to have his final confrontation with the Set in the next book. So Suit doesn't really add anything to the story anymore. And also, Wax and Wayne are supposed to be mshorter and more lighthearted, and there is a lot to wrap up in The Lost Metal. I doubt we will get a plot with Suit doing things in the Cognitive Realm. 

As for the OP, I guess it is possible that the Set came from somewhere else. I doubt it, to be honest. The two main candidates for Trell (the only plausible ones, really), are Autonomy and Odium, and neither one seems to be the type who has a dedicated group of minions following them everywhere. I think that Autonomy hijacked Trelagism, recruited a bunch of Scadrian followers, and started working. 

Doesn't Mistborn 2 play shortly before or around the same time as Stormlight Archive though? That would mean that Odium would still be stuck on Roshar.

And even if not... If it were to be Odium post-Stormlight Archive, that in itself would be a major spoiler for Stormlight Archive, as apparently Odium is still whole and managed to free himself from Roshar.

So, I very much doubt it would be Odium. There's no way we wouldn't be able to figure that out after The Lost Metal or maybe, maybe MB3, which I'm pretty sure will be released before Stormlight is finished.

31 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Doesn't Mistborn 2 play shortly before or around the same time as Stormlight Archive though? That would mean that Odium would still be stuck on Roshar.

And even if not... If it were to be Odium post-Stormlight Archive, that in itself would be a major spoiler for Stormlight Archive, as apparently Odium is still whole and managed to free himself from Roshar.

So, I very much doubt it would be Odium. There's no way we wouldn't be able to figure that out after The Lost Metal or maybe, maybe MB3, which I'm pretty sure will be released before Stormlight is finished.

W&W2 is between SA 5 and 6. It is possible that Odium is freed under that time. The primary reason for suggesting him is that he is an evil force of hatred, and the color red, which seems to be affiliated with Trell, and also with Odium-related stuff on Roshar (the eyes of the Voidbringers in WoR were red for example).

Personally, I'm in the Autonomy is Trell camp. I just included Odium in my post because I know that it is a (somewhat) popular theory.

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

W&W2 is between SA 5 and 6. It is possible that Odium is freed under that time. The primary reason for suggesting him is that he is an evil force of hatred, and the color red, which seems to be affiliated with Trell, and also with Odium-related stuff on Roshar (the eyes of the Voidbringers in WoR were red for example).

Personally, I'm in the Autonomy is Trell camp. I just included Odium in my post because I know that it is a (somewhat) popular theory.

If there is anything in Lost Metal that would tell us who Trell is, then it can't be Odium. Why? Because according to the State of the Sanderson The Lost Metal is scheduled to be worked on between SA3 and SA4, and if we see Odium in The Lost Metal, then it would be a spoiler for the SA arc.

The way I see it, the fact that Brandon doesn't seem concerned with when The Lord Metal comes out relative to SA tells us that either Trell isn't revealed in Lost Metal, or Trell isn't Odium.

So, I'm on the Autonomy boat, for multiple reasons, one of which is that Odium has gotten plenty of action as a super-villain and Brandon can afford to introduce some other Villainous shards at this point in the Cosmere.

Edited by Brightlord Maelstrom

Just thought I'd throw in some WoB's from Arcanum. These offer some interesting insights, so here you go:

• Quote Link                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Windrunner Savant

Can you give me any information about Trell?

Brandon Sanderson

*written in book*

Trell has been many things over the eons...

• Quote Link

Questioner

Is there any connection between Odium and Trell?

Brandon Sanderson

Is there any connection between Odium and Trell. This is-- Yes there is some connection. That is a question about-- If you understood it then great, if you didn't then don't worry.

• Quote Link

little wilson

Are Trellism and Trelagism the same religion?

Brandon Sanderson

Uuhheha, that's a RAFO too.

little wilson

Is it the same god in both?

Brandon Sanderson

Let's just say that… who Trell is and what happened is a matter of some interest in the cosmere and amusement to me.

Okay, the first quote, he has been many things over the eons. This sounds to me like Autonomy.

Second quote, there's a connection between Odium and Trell. I find this super interesting but I have no idea what to think of it.

Third quote, this solidifies Autonomy for me. Brandon has said Autonomy is his favorite Shards, and that one of the coolest things he's made up is that there are whole pantheons of Gods where every member is Autonomy. 

Edited by MasterJack

Connection could simply be that they're both Shards and have once been part of Adonalsium. Easy enough to wiggle there for Brandon.

Also, Autonomy is from... White Sand? I believe? I haven't read that yet... Do we see much of Autonomy or do we mostly know stuff about him/her from WoBs and stuff?

19 hours ago, Leyrann said:

Connection could simply be that they're both Shards and have once been part of Adonalsium. Easy enough to wiggle there for Brandon.

Also, Autonomy is from... White Sand? I believe? I haven't read that yet... Do we see much of Autonomy or do we mostly know stuff about him/her from WoBs and stuff?

White Sand is the book, Taldain is the Planet. Autonomy is the Shard, but almost entirely from WoBs, and a little snippet from Khriss in Arcanum Unbounded.

On 11/9/2017 at 10:24 AM, Toaster Retribution said:
On 11/9/2017 at 9:49 AM, Leyrann said:

Doesn't Mistborn 2 play shortly before or around the same time as Stormlight Archive though?

W&W2 is between SA 5 and 6.

Wax/Wayne is apparently between SA 5 and 6, thought this is the first I've heard of that. He also mentions that the gap between MB Era 2 and 3 might be up to 70 years, which is interesting to know.

PhantoMonstrosity

Before Ruin and Preservation showed up on Scadrial, was aluminum already antimagical? Also, is [The Alloy of Law] between Stormlight 5&6?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, [The Alloy of Law] is after Stormlight 5. Specific timing will depend on how long I make the 5/6 gap once I get there.

Questioner

This is quick question about outlines… Going on Mistborn, Era 2 is like 300 years after the original series, and you said that the next trilogy will be in the future, do you have a rough idea of how far...

Brandon Sanderson

I’m planning 70 right now.  But I mean I’m going to have to write it and see.  It is far enough away that you are not going to see most of the characters, but close enough that like you could see-- Descendants are totally going to be around. And you could see some of the characters that are there now. Could be that one of them has just passed away, that sort of thing.

• Chaos locked this topic