Sherlock Holmes

Ammanas

So I am completely up to date on three different adaptions of Sherlock Holmes and wanted to share my thoughts on them and are interested on how other people view them. If you have any other adaptions you want to recommend then please do so. I think I have only seen these three but know there are many others.

1. Sherlock produced by BBC. This has my favorite Sherlock Holmes portrayal played by Cumberbatch. I think he nails the Sherlock from books where he switches from high energy to lethargy. He also has some great lines. One of my favorites is:

Sherlock Holmes: Oh, John, I envy you so much.

Dr. John Watson: You envy me?

Sherlock Holmes: Your mind. it's so placid, straightforward, barely used. Mine's like an engine, racing out of control. A rocket, tearing itself to pieces, trapped on the launch pad.

I also really like how they portrayed Moriarty balancing the playfulness, intelligence, and ruthlessness. Here are some examples:

The one thing that I think is weak is the mysteries themselves; they just didn't appeal to me like other adaptions.

2. Sherlock Holmes Movies directed Guy Ritchie. I just love the Guy Ritchie style. Its hard to describe, but here is a example

I think Robert Downey Jr. does a great job and Jude Law is my favorite Watson. I thought the 2nd movie relied too much on action scenes, but I loved the "trout" scene with Moriarty. Here it is:

3. Elementary Tv show. I really like the mysteries on this show the best. They try to mix it up by changing genders and ethnicities of various characters which is kind of cool. For me this show does a solid job in all areas even if they don't excel in them. 

I read the books first so I have my own idea of what the original looks like. I do enjoy other interpretations though; the Number 2 Moriarty is a almost exact match to how I invision even though I prefer number one. Even though Jude Law is my favorite Watson I think of the one in the books as heavier and slower to process information  (which is completely different from being dumb of course).

6 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I read the books first so I have my own idea of what the original looks like. I do enjoy other interpretations though; the Number 2 Moriarty is a almost exact match to how I invision even though I prefer number one. Even though Jude Law is my favorite Watson I think of the one in the books as heavier and slower to process information  (which is completely different from being dumb of course).

I also read the books first, but when I did, I only pictured him vaguely. Something like this. In my head I see the rough outline of the man but it's foggy. I also picture Watson similarly as you. He was smart enough but he just seemed slow in comparison to Holmes.Related image