Old but important question

TheWarriorPoet

Hi Guys,

I dunno if this question had been asked before or if it was explained in the book which i missed somehow. My question is

How do they push the Bridge across a 50-100 feet wide chasm? they don't have any support on other side of the chasm, they push only from one, so a bridge which is heavy enough that it takes minimum 25 men to lift it, wont it fall down the chasm once its halfway through the gap? Or since there is no one on the other side, won't it be easier for parshendi to just push it down the chasm once it is near their side?

TWP

So this is being discussed for ages and we still don't know the answer :(

I read the design which is mentioned in the thread but then it's for a bridge which is approx 5 meters wide, but with that calculation it can hardly be more then 50 feet long, which again brings the same question, how to span 50 feet+ chasms 

21 minutes ago, TheWarriorPoet said:

So this is being discussed for ages and we still don't know the answer :(

I read the design which is mentioned in the thread but then it's for a bridge which is approx 5 meters wide, but with that calculation it can hardly be more then 50 feet long, which again brings the same question, how to span 50 feet+ chasms 

My post from this being brought up in Cosmere Q&A. 

On 10/25/2017 at 5:17 PM, Calderis said:

@Kurkistan found this WoB a few days ago, and I felt it needed to be shared here. It answers all of the issues. It appears that Brandon had considered all of these things and either took them for granted in the writing, or they were edited out.

Questioner

How does a bridge crew set a bridge down across a chasm in front of them?

Brandon Sanderson

So... I may have to act this out.

*Proceeds to act it out, no video available*

I am Kaladin, running at the front of the bridge, right? Now there's a chasm there. I'm going to step out to the side and grab the poles to the side, and lower the front bridge down. Then these guys are going to lower theirs down while I run around to the back and grab the poles on the side, which extend out. And we're going to get several ranks and then we're going to shovetogether.

We're waited on this side, remember, we've got the weights that roll to one side or the other. So it's weighted on this side, so we get it over and then plot it down. We're looking for a place where we're a little bit above-- with the paths, alright? And then we go to the other side, your reposition the weights or the poles or whatever it is on the thing so that it's heavier on this side and then get everyone and then you pull it back across and then you can lift it.

Questioner

Okay, great, thank you very much.

Brandon Sanderson

Now also keep in mind a couple of things: 0.7 Earth gravity, a very important aspect for actually making this bridge weight work for carrying it; and it is a soulcast wood. The only way to get the numbers to work if you've got engineers, the weight-- you actually have to realize that we've got a wood that is slightly stronger, yet lighter, than what-- it's like a-- Peter came up, it's like a balsa, there's a soulcast wood that is really a great wood for this sort of thing.

That doesn't mean it's light, it's still a really heavy book

Questioner

*Laughter*

Brandon Sanderson

A really heavy bridge.

So there are counterweights on bridges that just aren't mentioned properly in the text. 

50 minutes ago, TheWarriorPoet said:

which again brings the same question, how to span 50 feet+ chasms 

I was under the impression they strategically chose positions to charge where it was not this long. 

It seemed that they’d intentionally chosen a point where the chasm was narrow and the first plateau was a little higher than the second.

"Way of Kings" Chapter 6 Bridge Four

They cited this in the other thread :(

12 hours ago, TheWarriorPoet said:

Hi Guys,

I dunno if this question had been asked before or if it was explained in the book which i missed somehow. My question is

How do they push the Bridge across a 50-100 feet wide chasm? they don't have any support on other side of the chasm, they push only from one, so a bridge which is heavy enough that it takes minimum 25 men to lift it, wont it fall down the chasm once its halfway through the gap? Or since there is no one on the other side, won't it be easier for parshendi to just push it down the chasm once it is near their side?

TWP

The chasms are like 10-20 feet or even less where they span them. Short enough that the Parshendi only have to be a little bit better jumpers than humans to jump them, and a man with a pole can vauilt them. I'm sure at some places it's much wider, while all chasms are much wider at the bottom, like a vase. 

• Chaos locked this topic