[OB] Characters in Oathbringer **Spoilers**

Sallin Zeras

I agree that it seems like a lot of characters are taking a darker path than in previous books, I wouldn't personally include Kaladin though (at least not yet). Unless he actually helps the parshmen attack some humans or something, I think he's doing the right thing by trying to help them.

Yes, but it feels right to me. Not including OB, we have 2 more books to the end of the front 5 and then 5 more books after that. If the characters continue to progress without bumps in the road, they'll be ready for whatever the ending way too soon.

3 hours ago, Cowmanthethird said:

I agree that it seems like a lot of characters are taking a darker path than in previous books, I wouldn't personally include Kaladin though (at least not yet). Unless he actually helps the parshmen attack some humans or something, I think he's doing the right thing by trying to help them.

I agree completely; I wouldn't consider Kaladin's story so far to be dark at all, quite the opposite really. In happy contrast to the first two books, Kaladin has been relatively emotionally stable, and seems to be following a laudable moral compass with the Parsh-people (i.e., not making a blanket assumption that an entire race are the "bad guys" without being presented with any evidence to support that idea).

^^ Yes finally Kaladin not so depressed all the time..Yeah I would not put Kaladin in this category at all. Of course I wouldn't say he is with Voidbringers either as they do not seem to be at least currently. 

I think in the end Dalinar is going to avoid the Blackthorn. I actually like where Shallan's character development is going best of all the main characters. . I wouldn't say 100% dark but she is for sure getting into the gray area. 

I know the thread is about characters but overall, the book is less dark than I expected, so far. I had expected the situation to be much bleaker. Though I'm sure it'll get worse than what we've seen so far.

In tWoK, we had Kaladin going through hell and contemplating suicide and eventually realising that the bridgemen were bait. Dalinar thought he was losing his mind due to the visions and also got trapped in a nasty situation at the end due to Sadeas. Shallan was quite a mix and there were also times when she was terrified and thought she was losing her mind or otherwise stressed out heavily.

In WoR, Kaladin really struggled with his general hatred/disdain/prejudice against lighteyes etc. His prison scenes were really dark. Shallan again was a mix - her situation after Jasnah's "death" was quite bleak at times but apart from some parts it didn't feel too bad due to her attitude. Some of her flashbacks were quite painful though and there were various signs that she's far from stable.

In OB so far, Kaladin is about as happy as we've ever seen him (outside of flashbacks) and while he's facing some risks I seriously doubt he'll be tempted to join Odium's side. Dalinar is more of a mix - he has gotten married and Sadeas is dead and while there's some trouble with the other highprinces it's nothing serious so far and there's the bigger problem of dealing with the world though it feels somewhat remote from Dalinar's POV. Shallan is yet again a mix - while she started off with a lot of pain from her Truth spoken at the end of WoR, she has made progress but again she worries about her own mind (not anything new really, just more open) and has perhaps developed some new problems while her scenes with Adolin were generally happy.

For me, the darkest section of any of the books so far was Kaladin's early arc in tWoK.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Characters in Oathbringer **Spoilers**
  • Chaos locked this topic