Awakening with Divine Breath

Julio

I had a thought last night, after finishing the annotations for Warbreaker. 

What would happen if you Awakened a lifeless using a Divine Breath?

I tend to believe that, most likely, it would make that lifeless be very similar to a Returned. However, if that is the case, would this lifeless have the personality that belonged to the body before its death? Or, conversely, would it have the personality that belonged to the Returned whose breath this was?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.

It's possible but I doubt both of them

1) The former corpse's soul and mind are gone so unless some weirdness happened, there is no way for the lifeless to retrive his former self

2) This is a bit likely to me, if the Returned's CS is still attached to the DB is possible He will simply bond to the Corpse, but honestly I believe the CS will not be still attached to the DB and therefore only the DB will goes in the corpse.

My shot (but it isn't something canon) is the Divine Breath's Lifeless will act as a more sapient Lifeless (like Clod) and over time it will develop a personality of his own.

Of relevance:

Questioner

Can you use a Divine Breath to Awaken a Lifeless?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Cheese Ninja

Is it hypothetically possible to Awaken an object using a divine Breath?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

I personally think you can create a Lifeless using a Divine Breath, but it would come with side effects. Maybe the Lifeless will exhibit some extra intelligence, I'd guess on a similar level to a spren (from The Stormlight Archive), or maybe a Seon (from Elantris). 

While it's not exactly the same scenario, Brandon was asked once what would happen if Endowment tried to return someone who'd been made a Lifeless immediately after death. He commented that the result would be hilarous, so I imagine that even if the effects aren't exactly the same you would wind up with unexpected side-effects from trying to create a Divine Breath Lifeless.

11 hours ago, Weltall said:

While it's not exactly the same scenario, Brandon was asked once what would happen if Endowment tried to return someone who'd been made a Lifeless immediately after death. He commented that the result would be hilarous, so I imagine that even if the effects aren't exactly the same you would wind up with unexpected side-effects from trying to create a Divine Breath Lifeless.

But this would be deeply different because the Divine Breath would have a CS attached while in the "Divine Awakening" we don't know if the DB has still its CS attached

On 11/2/2017 at 0:02 PM, Yata said:

It's possible but I doubt both of them

1) The former corpse's soul and mind are gone so unless some weirdness happened, there is no way for the lifeless to retrive his former self

2) This is a bit likely to me, if the Returned's CS is still attached to the DB is possible He will simply bond to the Corpse, but honestly I believe the CS will not be still attached to the DB and therefore only the DB will goes in the corpse.

My shot (but it isn't something canon) is the Divine Breath's Lifeless will act as a more sapient Lifeless (like Clod) and over time it will develop a personality of his own.

That would be storming awesome.

• Chaos locked this topic