Stormlight Graphic Audio Differences.

AbsentKeeper

Question

I picked up the Graphic Audio version of WoR to go with the copy of WoK that I already had, in preparation of the Oathbringer release, and I was just wondering if anyone has spotted any differences between the GA and standard versions?

In Warbreaker there were breath commands that could be heard in the GA version that weren't specified in the text, is there anything like that that I should keep an eye out for?

Edited by Cowmanthethird

9 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Cowmanthethird said:

Thanks, I haven't noticed anything so far either. I figured it would be something very minor if there was at all though.

As a side note, I love how excitable they made Pattern sound, it makes some of his best quotes even better :P

When you say Graphic Audio, what do you mean? Who is reading it? Who sponsors it? Where do you get it? I listen to all Brandon Sanderson on Audible, just curious if the "Unabridged" means that it's different from Graphic Audio version. I would assume if mine says unabridged and yours says "Graphic Audio", they just might have a few differences.

1 hour ago, Knghtstlker said:

When you say Graphic Audio, what do you mean? Who is reading it? Who sponsors it? Where do you get it? I listen to all Brandon Sanderson on Audible, just curious if the "Unabridged" means that it's different from Graphic Audio version. I would assume if mine says unabridged and yours says "Graphic Audio", they just might have a few differences.

Graphic Audio is just another company that makes audiobooks, but they do it kind of like a play, with different actors and sound effects and such. 'Unabridged' means 100% the same as the original text, and is the category most audible books are in.

I have both versions for a lot of the Cosmere.

I think the only time I noticed a difference was in Shadows of Self (or maybe it was Alloy of Law). They just left out a paragraph or two on escape details. Not essential but meh. 

They might have been using a different version of the script for Warbreaker because I remember the ending being slightly different. But I'm not entirely sure if I am remembering a rough draft version or I just made it up in my mind. 

I haven't noticed any differences in the SA version. Although I really dislike Syl's normal voice. Everything else is fantastic. 

On 11/4/2017 at 7:25 AM, Knghtstlker said:

@Knghtstlkerhttps://www.graphicaudio.net/our-productions/authors/a-e/brandon-sanderson.html

These are, hands down, the most amazing audio books I have ever heard. Unique voice actors for each character, original music, sound effects, etc. all help paint a scene unlike any audio book I have heard before. They are technically abridged because they remove the "Adolin said" or "Dalinar grunted" parts because you know when Adolin is speaking because he has a unique voice and when the book says "Dalinar grunted" the voice actor for Dalinar grunts haha. They also, occasionally, add a bit as was mentioned elsewhere (e.g. in Warbreaker they needed to fill in the "unspoken" Breath commands). Overall, any subtraction/addition is incredibly minor and only serves to further the awesomeness of these books.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Graphic Audio in any way, shape, or form. I simply love these books!

I think I have noticed one difference so far. All depends on how you read it/hear it. but page 266 WoR.

When Kaladin was dueling Sword Master Zahel (who is believed to be Vasher from Warbreaker) while talking about his job and role as a bodyguard. This was also when Renarin was wearing plate for the first time and was jumping off the roof at the training grounds.

When Kaldain and Adolin then started sparring and Adolin launched Kaladin with a kick. Kaladin while injured on the ground sucked in some stormlight to quickly heal him self. Now in the graphic audio Zahel audibly gasps. This is the difference I feel, in the book it says "Zahel cried out in surprise" because it was more of a gasp then a yell/cry it made me realize that Zahel with extra souls/light (I cant remember Warbreakers magic system) But with the extra light/souls they can see colour and hear sounds on a level that normal people cant. So when Kaladin sucked in enough stormlight to heal himself but not enough for everyone to see him glow by normal standards. Zahel would of noticed Kaladin glow for he can see colour and detail they cant.

This is something I had not picked up on early, but as I said before, its all about how you interpret it while reading/ listening to it.