Aonic plates?

Walin

We know about the plates that could be pressed to activate Aons stratched into them by Elantrians. However, is it known whether they have to be pressed by Elantrians? Sorry if this is necro-ing an old, answered idea. Also, I’m pretty sure that you have to be Elantrian to activate an Aonic plate.

On 11/2/2017 at 5:13 AM, Yata said:

From another WoB on the possibility to re-use an Aon multiple times, I assume you will need an elantrian to activate the plates and probably he will need also to re-make the Aon (following the Plate's pattern)

I'd like to see that WoB. I've always had it in my head that Aons "drawn" into a plate would be reusable right away.

2 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

I'd like to see that WoB. I've always had it in my head that Aons "drawn" into a plate would be reusable right away.

I will be soon at work and there for some weird reason Theoryland is blocked.

Maybe our @Calderis and @Extesian could help. It was a WoB about re-use multiple times an Aon and Brandon said something on the line of "sure you could print the actual Aon and then an Elantrian have to follow the pattern every time to activate it" of course the wording is wrong but maybe it could help.

Here it is @Yata. It's says more than I thought. The magic as they currently understand it requires an Elantrian for activation.

Questioner

You recently compared the Aon Dor to a programming language of some sorts. Could you actually go one step further and build something like a curcuit board?

Brandon Sanderson

The difficultiy with all of that is that you have got to remember that the magic as they understand it right now only works based on Elantrian intention and activation. There were basically these sorts of things, but the switch has to be flipped by an Elantrian. Thoase things existed in Elantris.

Questioner

It's just that I think that Elantris itself could be some sort of a really big circuit board.

Brandon Sanderson

That may be a little too far for what Elantris is, but there are places in Elantris which are just what you are describing.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/58305-2017-03-2425-germany-leipzig-book-fair-minor-cosmere-spoilers/?do=findComment&comment=541560

Edited by Calderis

Questioner

You recently compared the Aon Dor to a programming language of some sorts. Could you actually go one step further and build something like a curcuit board?

Brandon Sanderson

The difficultiy with all of that is that you have got to remember that the magic as they understand it right now only works based on Elantrian intention and activation. There were basically these sorts of things, but the switch has to be flipped by an Elantrian. Thoase things existed in Elantris.

Questioner

It's just that I think that Elantris itself could be some sort of a really big circuit board.

Brandon Sanderson

That may be a little too far for what Elantris is, but there are places in Elantris which are just what you are describing.

DrogaKrolow

OK, I’ve got a question about AonDor.

Brandon Sanderson

Ok.

DrogaKrolow

So it's a lot like functional programing.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

DrogaKrolow

And my question is: could you write a higher-level language of programming with that?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

DrogaKrolow

Oh...

Brandon Sanderson

Mmhmm. But. Only an Elantrian could make it, like, work, right? Not compile but could execute the function. They would have to type it out and execute it. Like if you were just-- Even if you just gave it to them, they would have to retype it and go. But yes, you could.

DrogaKrolow

Couldn't you like-- Is there an Aon for define, definition? So like you could go and define some really long sequence of Aons and then assign it to a simple shape.

Brandon Sanderson

Right.

DrogaKrolow

Then draw the symbol, and would it work?

Brandon Sanderson

Right right, object-oriented. This is realisticallyplausible, you would have to write all this stuff and call the function and have this constantly in a state of kinetic Investiture. But that is reasonable. I mean it's not so far off from things they actually did with much fewer-- much fewer lines of code, if you wish, in the past. It's what Elantris itself was

Both from this year, Leipzig and Warsaw. 

12 hours ago, Yata said:

"sure you could print the actual Aon and then an Elantrian have to follow the pattern every time to activate it"

I knew an Elantrian would have to do the activation every time, but I was thinking about those teleportation plates in Elantris to traverse the city. Those were presumably inscribed by an Elantrian ages ago, and I don't recall Raoden and company needing to redraw the plates to use. That and our only usage of Aon Tae to open the secret door.

I might be misremembering the book(it's been a while), but I got the impression that those were always viable to activate, provided you were an Elantrian.

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

I knew an Elantrian would have to do the activation every time, but I was thinking about those teleportation plates in Elantris to traverse the city. Those were presumably inscribed by an Elantrian ages ago, and I don't recall Raoden and company needing to redraw the plates to use. That and our only usage of Aon Tae to open the secret door.

I might be misremembering the book(it's been a while), but I got the impression that those were always viable to activate, provided you were an Elantrian.

I understood, but that wob made me think an Elantrian will need to re-draw the Aon on plates.

By the way, I have a mindblank...When in book is a plate used ?

1 minute ago, Yata said:

By the way, I have a mindblank...When in book is a plate used ?

According to the Coppermind, Tae was is Chapter 25, Tia was Chapter 19

Ok, the Tae was a red herring, so that's on my bad memory.

Hidden Library

The hidden library is located below an Elantrian meetinghouse. Its entrance is marked by an Aon Tae, which, when pressed, opened the entryway. Although it is marked by an Aon, the door itself works through a system of gears and is devoid of any magical effects.

From Chapter 19: (oh, it's in Raoden's dream sequence)

Equally unmistakable were the Aons. These ancient glyphs covered the city; they were etched into walls, painted on doors, and written on signs. Most of them were inert—simple markings, rather than runes with an arcane purpose. Others, however, obviously held energy. Throughout the city stood large metal plates with Aon Tia, and occasionally an Elantrian would approach and place his or her hand in the center of the character. The Elantrian's body would flash, then disappear in a circular burst of light, his body instantly transported to another section of the city.
[...]
So, Raoden slept, and with that sleep came dreams. He had been eight when he broke his leg. His father had been loath to bring him into the city; even before the Reod, Iadon had been suspicious of Elantris. Raoden's mother, dead some twelve years now, had insisted.

The secondary paragraph makes me believe the dream was a memory, and thus actually happened. Make of "place their hand on the character" as you wish.

Yeah, the description of the Tia plate shows that an Elantrian doesn't need to re-draw the Aon. Just pressing on the plate is enough. Which makes sense, because if the plate wasn't a shortcut that allows an Elantrian to skip the tedious part of his magic, then what exactly is the point of it? A mere tracing guide for Elantrians who forgot their Aons would be kinda lame, don't you think? :P

Edited by skaa

The need for an Elantrian to redraw it in my brain was if a non Elantrian drew the Aons/worked out the program. 

The entire purpose of the plates was quick and easy reusable Aons. If an Elantrian makes a plate any Elantrian should be able to activate/deactivate it. 

• Chaos locked this topic