Could Nightblood turn into something else?

AngelDeath

So when a spren has progressed far enough in a bond with a human it's able to manifest in physical form as a shardblade. Nightblood is a spren who is in the form of a sword without being bonded to a human. Dose that mean that if he bonds with someone and progresses far enough he'll be able to turn into something more like other spren? And sorry if this has bin brought up already. There so many Nightblood posts.      

I think this line of questioning will lead down the same roads as reviving a dead sprenblade.
There's a WoB that implies that Nightblood was created using dead blades as a template.

I personally don't think Nightblood will develop a cognitive presence such that he can shift from being a sword to being a floating ball of evil-slaying.
It seems to me that if growth was going to occur, then the long years he was in Vasher's possession would have developed him beyond the inability to remember that certain people are dead and things that we see from him in Warbreaker.

I think he will remain a broken, slightly retarded (for lack of a better word), sort of sprenblade.

The way I see it, it comes from a Spren's nature as a splinter and cognitive entity. Shardblades are pure investiture, also referred to as a Godmetal. From what I can see, Nightblood is a heavily invested piece of metal with a cognitive entity attached, which wouldn't have the same shapeshifting capabilities. 

1 hour ago, Brightlord Maelstrom said:

The way I see it, it comes from a Spren's nature as a splinter and cognitive entity. Shardblades are pure investiture, also referred to as a Godmetal. From what I can see, Nightblood is a heavily invested piece of metal with a cognitive entity attached, which wouldn't have the same shapeshifting capabilities. 

Agreed. Pure Investiture can take many physical forms, we have seen Atium beads, lerasium beads, the mists, shardblades, and shardpools on Scadrial, Roshar, and Sel as examples of this. All of those are really just the physical manifestation of the investiture of a shard of Adonalseum. The investiture in Nightblood, however, is in the form of breaths, which just happen to be stuck to a steel sword, a physical object present in the physical realm. That much investiture all stuck together in one place forms a sentient consciousness, but the physical steel still serves as it's "vessel".  

I think a more interesting question would be what form Nightblood takes in the cognitive realm. 

3 hours ago, Wreith said:

I think this line of questioning will lead down the same roads as reviving a dead sprenblade.
There's a WoB that implies that Nightblood was created using dead blades as a template.

I personally don't think Nightblood will develop a cognitive presence such that he can shift from being a sword to being a floating ball of evil-slaying.
It seems to me that if growth was going to occur, then the long years he was in Vasher's possession would have developed him beyond the inability to remember that certain people are dead and things that we see from him in Warbreaker.

I think he will remain a broken, slightly retarded (for lack of a better word), sort of sprenblade.

But if there were a person who could help Nightblood grow and develop, it would be Cultivatation. 

1 hour ago, ZenBossanova said:

But if there were a person who could help Nightblood grow and develop, it would be Cultivatation. 

Let's be honest, if a Shard interacts directly, then unless its intent or another shard gets in the way, there aren't many things they can't change. To me it's an "of course Cultivation can change it, that is if you can ever grab her attention" situation.

What if nightblood some how got a boon. I doubt that it could happen seeing as how it is an entity with sapience (probably the wrong word). if it did happen then assuming the old magic is mostly cultivation then it might get the boon and destroy the side effects. If it even works like that. but Lift is partly in the cognitive realm as part of her thing so it's possible. all you would have to do is give nightblood a mouth or someone else say what nightblood is thinking.

1 hour ago, Generalbacon74 said:

What if nightblood some how got a boon. I doubt that it could happen seeing as how it is an entity with sapience (probably the wrong word). if it did happen then assuming the old magic is mostly cultivation then it might get the boon and destroy the side effects. If it even works like that. but Lift is partly in the cognitive realm as part of her thing so it's possible. all you would have to do is give nightblood a mouth or someone else say what nightblood is thinking.

Old magic is Uncle Andy magic.

Regarding Nightblood turning into something else.... The Evil on Threnody.

• Chaos locked this topic