[OB] Oathbringer chapters 28-30

Steeldancer

2 minutes ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

"The art on the walls was more enigmatic. A solitary figure hovering above the ground before a large blue disc, arms stretched to the side as if to embrace it. Depictions of the Almighty in his traditional form as a cloud bursting with energy and light. A woman in the shape of a tree, hands spreading toward the sky and becoming branches. Who would have thought to find pagan symbols in the home of the Knights Radiant?"

The latter two are Honor and Cultivation, do we know who the bolded segment is supposed to represent?

It reminds me a little of the Ishar art that was released, actually.  Obviously he's not hovering, but does have arms outstretched before a 'blue disk.'

But my guess would be Adolansium, or even Odium.

Ishar/Tezim! Check out the endpaper illustrations, right here: https://www.tor.com/2017/10/26/revealed-the-full-endpapers-from-brandon-sandersons-oathbringer/

Edit: Actually, you're right, the in-book description doesn't match up perfectly with the endpaper illustration. Huh, that is really weird... got no clue who it could be now, Adonalsium seems to make the most sense. 

Edited by dantlee

2 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

OMG THIS IS AN AMAZING THEORY. 

Make a thread on this 

I thought this theory already existed in some form?  That each of the nine previous desolations were caused by a different Herald breaking under torture, shifting from a Herald to a fool.  An unmade per broken Herald would be an extension to that.  If its not a thread yet, please make it so!

If true, there may be a new, baby unmade for the breaking of Taln appearing soon...

Just now, Stark said:

I thought this theory already existed in some form?  That each of the nine previous desolations were caused by a different Herald breaking under torture, shifting from a Herald to a fool.  An unmade per broken Herald would be an extension to that.  If its not a thread yet, please make it so!

If true, there may be a new, baby unmade for the breaking of Taln appearing soon...

A new Unmade for Stonesinew... perhaps a "voidspren" that walks on stone?

1 minute ago, dantlee said:

Ishar/Tezim! Check out the endpaper illustrations, right here: https://www.tor.com/2017/10/26/revealed-the-full-endpapers-from-brandon-sandersons-oathbringer/

Top left is the one being described. 

That was my thought as well.  It just seems out of place in a paragraph with Honor and Cultivation.

Unless it's a subtle hint that Ishar now thinks of himself on the same level as Shards, be it because of madness or some other cause.

6 minutes ago, Gigalemesh said:

It made me think of a shardpool 

That was my first thought, but from the description it made it sound like the disc was on its side facing the figure floating. Maybe a portal of somekind? to the tranquiline halls?

A solitary figure hovering above the ground before a large blue disc, arms stretched to the side as if to embrace it.

Holy hell that Re-Shephir fight.

My main new theory from this is:

There's 1 Unmade for every order but one. This Unmade was also trapped by it's relevant order (Re-Shephir, bonded by a Lightweaver). The 10th Unmade is Odiums Champion, the Unmade for the Bondsmiths (Potentially 3rd Bondsmith but not sure).

From this theory, I also predict Moelach is the Unmade for the Truthwatchers. 

3 minutes ago, Stark said:

Do we have confirmation that there was only 9 previous desolation's ?

6 minutes ago, dantlee said:

But that doesn't make numerical sense, all the heralds broke under torture in previous desolations, including Taln. There would have to be a tenth unmade, and WoB and in-world knowledge have made it clear there are nine. 

9 Heralds broke the Oathpact. One died and did their time. 9 Unmade for 9 heralds. Come on. That math is easy. 

We don't really know when the Unmade were made. Most likely during Honor and Odiums final clash, which is after the Recreance. Which makes sense, since Honor didn't mention the Unmade in his visions. I think he would have mentioned them considering their significance.

Edit: Wait, I forgot about the vision with the purelake. Scratch everything I said above.

Edited by ScavellTane

1 minute ago, Aminar said:

9 Heralds broke the Oathpact. One died and did their time. 9 Unmade for 9 heralds. Come on. That math is easy. 

Midnight essences were in Dalinar's visvion of a previous desolation, this means at least one unmade predates the breaking of the oathpact

As great of a battle scene as that was, I think I enjoyed the philosophical debate between Dalinar and Mr T. I thought that Mr T. would veil his 'greater good' philosophy, but it seems he is very genuine about his belief in that. Hang all 4 is exactly what he has been doing, to save all, he sacrifices as many as necessary. This will be a great driver of the KR strategy moving forward, I mean this definitely puts Mr T in the driver seat for second bondsmith role.

Also, the fact that Dalinar is being rejected by every kingdom is certainly pushing him into becoming the warlord again. I think this is pretty significant, given that this conflict is mentioned in the Diagram. Will he become the warlord, and a ready ally to Mr T, or will he continue the path of the peacemaker, and gain the enmity of the diagramists? It certainly would provide an excellent contrast with the background chapters, where is war lust is unbridled. I can't wait for another Dalinar/Mr T chapter!

Edited by Sliverofnone

Just now, ScavellTane said:

We don't really know when the Unmade were made. More likely during Honor and Odium final clash, which is after the Recreance. Which make sense since Honor didn't mention the Unmade in his visions. I think he would have mentioned them.

Midnight essences were part of desolations so at least one unmade existed beforehand 

7 minutes ago, Aminar said:

He said "one for each herald that broke under torture." Before the start of every new desolation, all ten heralds broke. Including Taln. So no, according to his stated theory, there would be 10 unmade. 

Edited by dantlee

6 minutes ago, Overlord Jebus said:

Holy hell that Re-Shephir fight.

My main new theory from this is:

There's 1 Unmade for every order but one. This Unmade was also trapped by it's relevant order (Re-Shephir, bonded by a Lightweaver). The 10th Unmade is Odiums Champion, the Unmade for the Bondsmiths (Potentially 3rd Bondsmith but not sure).

As Ishar is the herald of the Bondsmiths, and he has gone mad, what if he flips and is the traitor/ champion of Odium? Maybe bonded to an Unmade?

7 minutes ago, Gigalemesh said:

The midnight essences existed in previous desolations so there is proof that unmade existed before the oathpact was abandoned 

True.  But it this unmade came into being when Shallash broke, and we don't know if she broke first, or ninth, and we don't know which desolation Dalinar witnessed with the midnight essence, and we don't know if it was an actual memory, or another pre-rendered cinematic from Honor...  There is enough uncertainty to be potentially valid.

I think we have a WOB saying that there were nine desolations, including Aharetiem.  

You said "one for each herald that broke under torture." Before the start of every new desolation, all ten heralds broke. Including Taln. So no, according to your stated theory, there would be 10 unmade. 

I believe that only one herald had to break to start the new Desolation.

You said "one for each herald that broke under torture." Before the start of every new desolation, all ten heralds broke. Including Taln. So no, according to your stated theory, there would be 10 unmade. 

Um... no. They didn't all break. It was when the first one broke, or perhaps when a new one broke. So each desolation got worse with a new Unmade

I think that the unmade have access to a single surge corresponding to a knights radiant surge. The only difference is that the unmade’s surge is a twisted version instead of light weaving Re-Shephir weaves with smoke. When in the visions we saw Sja-anat it seemed to regress a spren to a corrupted state. Speaking of Re-Shephir weaving images with smoke that sounds a lot like it could be the patron of smokeform voidbringers. Do each of the forms of power have a corresponding unmade?