[OB] Oathbringer chapters 28-30

Steeldancer

All I can say is this: Storm it!!

Holy hell, we are in for a treat. We see something like that concluded in 30 chapters, I am kinda scarred about the whole book. I'll probably won't sleep for some days after Novamber 14. 

Re-Shephir, the midnight mother... a twisted creationspren.. just wow. And that wealth.. 

Calling it.. Oathbringer will be in that ruined library.

I really want to read more about Travangian.. murdering them all. 

Well, y'all, I actually really enjoyed this week's chapters! Shallan made some amazing progress. Here's some assorted thoughts that I typed while reading:

lyn is very prominent - is she going to be important? good to see drehy again, but where is his mans - renarin, my love... hello. at first i thought the midnight essence might be ivory- are they related? the midnight mother seems like the anti-lightweaver

I was kind of worried that they would leave us hanging on Shallan and that chapter 30 would be a Kal chapter but all is well, it seems.

Edited by bleeder

Whee! That was good. A great set of chapters.

Go go Lightweavers! (Meek little kittens they are not)

I guess that partly explains why Shallan could feel it so much better. I guess Renarin could feel it from his Illumination Surge?

Lots of development. Dalinar has pretty much lost the political fight but finds a way to turn it around. Oathbringer was finally found (surprised it took so long)

Shallan is definitely getting stronger in some ways (she could wield Patternblade as herself) but it's not all progress. I'm very glad that she wasn't too foolhardy here. Very happy to see Adolin, Renarin and Bridge 4 all get involved. Yay!

So, it was an Unmade after all and was imprisoned by an ancient Lightweaver. Very interesting. Is this from the Recreance period or what?

Preface thus far:

Spoiler

I’m certain some will feel threatened by this record. Some few may feel liberated. Most will simply feel that it should not exist. I needed to write it anyway. I know that many women who read this will see it only as further proof that I am the godless heretic everyone claims. I can point to the moment when I decided for certain this record had to be written. I hung between realms, seeing into Shadesmar—the realm of the spren—and beyond. I thought that I was surely dead. Certainly, some who saw further than I did thought I had fallen. I did not die.I experienced something worse. That moment notwithstanding, I can honestly say this book has been brewing in me since my youth. The sum of my experiences has pointed at this moment. This decision. Perhaps my heresy stretches back to those days in my childhood, where these ideas began. I ask not that you forgive me. Nor that you even understand. I ask only that you read or listen to these words. In this record, I hold nothing back. I will try not to shy away from difficult topics, or paint myself in a dishonestly heroic light. I will express only direct, even brutal, truth. You must know what I have done, and what those actions cost me. For in this comes the lesson. It is not a lesson I claim to be able to teach. Experience herself is the great teacher, and you must seek her directly. You cannot have a spice described to you, but must taste it for yourself. However, with a dangerous spice, you can be warned to taste lightly. I would that your lesson may not be as painful as my own.  I am no storyteller, to entertain you with whimsical yarns. I am no philosopher, to intrigue you with piercing questions. I am no poet, to delight you with clever allusions. I have no doubt that you are smarter than I am. I can only relate what happened, what I have done, and then let you draw conclusions. I will confess my murders before you. Most painfully, I have killed someone who loved me dearly. I will confess my heresy. I do not back down from the things I have said, regardless of what the ardents demand. Finally, I will confess my humanity. I have been named a monster, and do not deny those claims. I am the monster that I fear we all can become. So sit back. Read, or listen, to someone who has passed between realms. Listen to the words of a fool.

So we get info both of an Unmade and one of the Ten Fools.

The art on the walls was more enigmatic. A solitary figure hovering above the ground before a large blue disc, arms stretched to the side as if to embrace it. Depictions of the Almighty in his traditional form as a cloud bursting with energy and light. A woman in the shape of a tree, hands spreading toward the sky and becoming branches. Who would have thought to find pagan symbols in the home of the Knights Radiant?

Exciting Times ! any thoughts on what the large blue disc could be ?

Edited by PunSpren
agent34 corrected my question :)

Just now, PunSpren said:

With regards to Lyn, Wasnt that the same name of the Assassin Jasnah was using during the prelude feast? Could that be any relation ? Im sure this has been discussed in detail before :)

I believe the assassin is Liss.

2 minutes ago, PunSpren said:

With regards to Lyn, Wasnt that the same name of the Assassin Jasnah was using during the prelude feast? Could that be any relation ? Im sure this has been discussed in detail before :)

It wasn't. I checked the coppermind, and her name is Liss. Not Lyn. 

Edited by Steeldancer
Ninjad

2 minutes ago, Agent34 said:

Preface thus far:

Hide contents

I’m certain some will feel threatened by this record. Some few may feel liberated. Most will simply feel that it should not exist. I needed to write it anyway. I know that many women who read this will see it only as further proof that I am the godless heretic everyone claims. I can point to the moment when I decided for certain this record had to be written. I hung between realms, seeing into Shadesmar—the realm of the spren—and beyond. I thought that I was surely dead. Certainly, some who saw further than I did thought I had fallen. I did not die.I experienced something worse. That moment notwithstanding, I can honestly say this book has been brewing in me since my youth. The sum of my experiences has pointed at this moment. This decision. Perhaps my heresy stretches back to those days in my childhood, where these ideas began. I ask not that you forgive me. Nor that you even understand. I ask only that you read or listen to these words. In this record, I hold nothing back. I will try not to shy away from difficult topics, or paint myself in a dishonestly heroic light. I will express only direct, even brutal, truth. You must know what I have done, and what those actions cost me. For in this comes the lesson. It is not a lesson I claim to be able to teach. Experience herself is the great teacher, and you must seek her directly. You cannot have a spice described to you, but must taste it for yourself. However, with a dangerous spice, you can be warned to taste lightly. I would that your lesson may not be as painful as my own.  I am no storyteller, to entertain you with whimsical yarns. I am no philosopher, to intrigue you with piercing questions. I am no poet, to delight you with clever allusions. I have no doubt that you are smarter than I am. I can only relate what happened, what I have done, and then let you draw conclusions. I will confess my murders before you. Most painfully, I have killed someone who loved me dearly. I will confess my heresy. I do not back down from the things I have said, regardless of what the ardents demand. Finally, I will confess my humanity. I have been named a monster, and do not deny those claims. I am the monster that I fear we all can become. So sit back. Read, or listen, to someone who has passed between realms. Listen to the words 

So we get info both of an Unmade and one of the Ten Fools.

I don’t think it’s supposed to be a claim that they are one of the Ten Fools, but a fool period.

WOW.

I don't even have anything semi-witty to say.

Three best chapters so far.  I did not realize just how much I missed Bridge 4.

Confirmation the Unmade can break and replace bonds.

One of the more fascinating battle scenes, in every shape and form. (No pun intended.)

And yet ANOTHER Azir mention, which makes me even more certain we are getting more Awesomeness than just an interlude chapter.

1 minute ago, Knabepicer said:

I don’t think it’s supposed to be a claim that they are one of the Ten Fools, but a fool period.

She’d begun to imagine an infinite spiral, like with old Dilid, one of the ten fools. 

I think some of the other Ten Fools have been named too.

Well damnation.  damnation.  You know we are getting to the end of a part 1 when things ramp up like that.

Dalinar - Wait, you mean I can literally share my visions with people?  DOne, I invade all the dreams!

Shallan - Undercover boss has nothing on me.

Shallan - Lets go kick an Unmade in the teeth, the one that creates the midnight essence to boot.

Other thoughts - dead spren are still cognizant when partially revived, Oathbringer hates Dalinar slightly less. That was... unexpected, tragically sad, and heartening.  Definitely makes a good case for the relationship between Adolin and his blade.  Adolin, can you please ask someone's spren to tell you your blade's name?

Pattern - Shallan is going to run off and do something stupid, and I won't get to watch, so hurry up!

Um, the conversation between Taravangian and Dalinar has to be one of my favorite scenes.  I have this victorian era image, of them sitting in the great chairs, in front of a hearth, but instead of a fire, it is an LCD screen showing a picture of the fire in front of a heatlamp, reminiscing about real fire.  (Its not the same).  Having grown up in a house where we heated, and still heat, by wood-burning stove in the winter, I can sympathize with the feeling that nothing is quite the same as a real fire.  And then their discussion.  Making the hard decisions as a leader versus not making errors.  Hypocrisy versus abdicating responsibility.  How do you choose.  I feel like the subtext is Mr T. trying to figure out if there is enough Blackthorn left in Dalinar to get the job done, while still trying to get justification from a peer for his actions, you know, the mureder of all those people.

Also, Dalinar and Lift have a lot in common.  She used a throne as a stool to look in high cupboards for food.  He stuck a chair to a wall to look into an air vent and see a rodent.

Shallan, interesting which death Re-Shepir imitated.  The intentional killing, not the accidental.  Intent seems important here. Adolin meant to kill.  The guy meant to hurt his wife, possibly kill her.  Shallan intended to stab someone in the hand.  And the law intended that the murederer die by hanging.  But he did not intend to kill the guy with a bottle, that was an accident in a brawl.  Intent matters while Re-Shepir studies us.

Also, Odiums version of a creation spren has gotten bored over the years and is curious?  Is learning?  Is evolving beyond her original purpose?  How exciting.  Odium may come back and find that his tools aren't quite what he remembered.

The depictions of the heralds and Honor and cultivation.  Do you think these depictions are our Endpapers?  Actually, I'm certain of it, this chamber's depictions are what we see in the endpapers. And can I see these drawings of Honor and Cultivation please?

Also, Shallan, you beautiful disaster.  The pain of an ideal not yet overcome.  Still dealing with the truth that you killed your father and mother.  And your army of light was awesome.  Way to kick chull while Renarin takes names.

Speaking of Renarin, I am so happy to see him fitting in with Bridge four.  He is a Bridgeman now.  I'm so happy he has a home.  Interesting to see he is still wearing the plate.  I'm curious how that affects his binding and battlefield medecine.  Best surgeon for Bridge four to have.

Now, I have more thoughts, but please excuse me while I read all of yours, and re-read those storming awesome chapters!

37 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Ok so she battled the unmade. Does this mean most of the radiants have an analogue to an unmade? 

I think there is an Unmade for each Herald that broke under torture.  So this is Shallash's unmade?  If I'm right?

I found it pretty cool 

Just now, Stark said:

I think there is an Unmade for each Herald that broke under torture.  So this is Shallash's unmade?  If I'm right?

The unmade have existed long before the last desolation, and there are nine, not ten, so no, they don't correspond perfectly to the heralds. 

"The art on the walls was more enigmatic. A solitary figure hovering above the ground before a large blue disc, arms stretched to the side as if to embrace it. Depictions of the Almighty in his traditional form as a cloud bursting with energy and light. A woman in the shape of a tree, hands spreading toward the sky and becoming branches. Who would have thought to find pagan symbols in the home of the Knights Radiant?"

The latter two are Honor and Cultivation, do we know who the bolded segment is supposed to represent?

It reminds me a little of the Ishar art that was released, actually.  Obviously he's not hovering, but does have arms outstretched before a 'blue disk.'

But my guess would be Adolansium, or even Odium.

Just now, Steeldancer said:

OMG THIS IS AN AMAZING THEORY. 

But that doesn't make numerical sense, all the heralds broke under torture in previous desolations, including Taln. There would have to be a tenth unmade, and WoB and in-world knowledge have made it clear there are nine. 

1 minute ago, dantlee said:

I found it pretty cool 

The unmade have existed long before the last desolation, and there are nine, not ten, so no, they don't correspond perfectly to the heralds. 

Was there any mention of them existing before the oathpact was abandoned? Also, only nine abandoned, Taln stayed bonded to the oathpact.