Could Shallan be half Listener?

AngelDeath

So, my theory is that Shallan's biological father is actually a red, and white colored parshmen in slaveform. Here's my list of evidence.                                                                        

• Horneaters are mix of humans and listener. And Shallan looks a lot like a Horneater. Enough so for her to trick Kaladin into thinking she is one.

• In order for someone to become a surgebinder they need to undergo a lot of trauma.  The trauma cracks they're spriteweb. A spren then fits into the cracks, and establishes a bond with the person turning them into a surgebinder.  Shallan has gone through a whole lot of trauma. But all of it after her mother tried to kill her. There is nothing to indicate that she had anything other then a normal happy childhood. At least until her mother tried to kill her, and her father went crazy.  And yet at the age of 11 she was able to lightweave, and from a shardblade. The only other preteen surgebinder we've seen is Lift. And she didn't become a surgebinder the normal way. Instead her spriteweb was(probably) rewritten by the Nightwatcher.  Listeners don't need to undergo trauma to bond with a spren. It's just a natural part of who they are. It's really hard( maybe impossible) for a listener to become a surgebinder. But if someone was half listener, and half human it might mack it way easier then it would be for a full blooded member of ether species.           

• After Shallan kills her mother she becomes unable to talk.  A whole lot like a Listener in slaveform.  She is only able to talk again right after drawing a picture.    Now lets assume Shallan is half Listener. And that she bonded with Pattern as a baby. He was possibly attracted to her because of the 'lie' that she was seen as fully human. Because of the damage to her spiritualDNA  passed down form her slaveform father she wouldn't be able to talk, or function as a normal child. But because of her bond with Pattern she is able to talk and grows up thinking she is normal. When Shallan uses Pattern to kill her mother it traumatizes her and damages her nahel bond sending her into slaveform. Pattern sees Shallan's drawings as lies. So when she draws for the first time after killing her mother it reestablishes the bond and enables her to talk aging.               

• This is totally the sort of thing Brandon would do

I know this theory is totally out there. And probably not true. But there is evidence for it, and it's fun to think about. 

Also one of the biggest flaw in this theory is that; if Shallan needs a bond with a spren in order to talk then why don't Horneaters. I think this might be because Horneaters are descended form listeners form before they're were forced into slaveform. And therefor don't have damage to they're sDNA. (Horneaters are probably descended from listeners in workform. They are really big, strong, and dislike violence. All aspects of workform.)      

A very interesting idea, but one that has unfortunately already been debunked by WoB:

Question

Is Shallan's father actually her father?

Brandon Sanderson

Heh. People asked if her mother were actually her mother. No one's asked yet if her father was her father. Yes, it was her father. I will give you that. Her mother and father as presented in the story were actually her mother and father.

Source

On 10/31/2017 at 1:50 AM, Pagerunner said:

A very interesting idea, but one that has unfortunately already been debunked by WoB:

Source

That still leaves the possibility  that she is a small part Horneater, and therefor part listeners. But probably not enough to make her much different then other humans. That was actually my theory to began with. But while rereading for more info to back it up i came across the part where she couldn't talk. And thought wooH! maybe she not just a small part listener, but half.  Also; Can i post Oathbringer spoilers here if i tag them as spoilers? There is a small part in Oathbringer that add to the mystery Shallan becoming surgebinder at such a young age.                                                                                           

On 10/31/2017 at 3:48 AM, Argent said:

Plus, you know, a ton of people have met Lin Davar. A parshman would never be anything other than a slave, let along a brightlord. It's not exactly something you can hide.

My theory was that Shallan's mother raped one of her slaves, not that Lin was a parshman. 

1 minute ago, AngelDeath said:

Can i post Oathbringer spoilers here if i tag them as spoilers? There is a small part in Oathbringer that add to the mystery Shallan becoming surgebinder at such a young age.   

No, at this time Oathbringer spoilers are not allowed outside the subforum at all.

Shallan's read hair does indeed come from the Listener's, but you're right in that it wouldn't be enough to distinguish her from her brothers. I think there is still much of Shallan's experience that she has yet to confront that have made her into a Radiant. You're right that there's something off in the timeline - if Shallan had a Shardblade before killing her mother, then what was it that caused her to break in the first place?

Listeners' blood in the Roshar's hybrids (horneater and Hedrizian) are so strong to change this Humans' physiology (Hedrizian's nail and Horneater's teeth) while the Veden and Shallan in the specific doesn't exibit nothing out of ordinary for an human.

This placed together with the fact we already know her dad and mum are really her parents, point out any kind of weirdness in the Davar's lineage.

Shallan probably had a bad childtime from before all the horrible stuffs we know happened to her. Just because the Kal's brokeness was caused by an extreme sequence of events, not all the Radiants had to experience something so drastic to broke. Renarin broke mmostly for his "weirdness" into the Alethi's culture for example.

• Chaos locked this topic