Nicrosil Feruchemy and Surgebinding

Ok, so, for those of you who are unaware, nicrosil stores investiture. This is a poorly understood branch of feruchemy, and at first may seem about as useless as allomantic cadmium. However, it allows you to do some really weird stuff.

So here's my theory:

If a nicrosil ferring (or full feruchemist) were to become a surgebinder, they could use the stored up investiture in place of stormlight.

Of course it might not be nearly enough (this is a very distinct possibility), which could be remedied by A: Storing up huge amounts of investiture, or B: Being a Nicrosil compounder (just get a bit o' the old nicrosil-lerasium alloy). 

It might also not work that way/not be the right type of investiture (which I very much doubt). 

However, if it did work, imagine the potential! Surgebinder-Nicroferrings could go anywhere in the Cosmere!

Tell me if you think this theory is possible, and, if it is, what you'd do if you were a surgebinder (choose an order)/nicrosil compounder.

All the form of Kinetic Investiture are mostly interchangable so in theory nothing prevent this. Much more this kind of stuff is true with every kind of Feruchemist as every attribute is stored as Investiture in the metalmind (and this is also true for every kind of Allomancer)

BUT it will not be an automatic change, you will need to hack the magic to allow the Feruchemy-fueled Surgebinding.

14 minutes ago, Yata said:

All the form of Kinetic Investiture are mostly interchangable so in theory nothing prevent this. Much more this kind of stuff is true with every kind of Feruchemist as every attribute is stored as Investiture in the metalmind (and this is also true for every kind of Allomancer)

BUT it will not be an automatic change, you will need to hack the magic to allow the Feruchemy-fueled Surgebinding.

Does Feruchemical nicrosil actually store kinetic investure? I was under the impression that it stores innate investure, which is what allowed the medallions to work. And if any kinetic investure would work, couldn't you hack any old metalmind to fuel surgebinding when tapping from it?

2 minutes ago, kenod said:

Does Feruchemical nicrosil actually store kinetic investure? I was under the impression that it stores innate investure, which is what allowed the medallions to work. And if any kinetic investure would work, couldn't you hack any old metalmind to fuel surgebinding when tapping from it?

Indeed for now we know only that Innate Investiture could be stored, we don't know if this could be do with Kinetic too (I believe no, or at least the Southern didn't discover this yet).

I didn't point too much at this because every metalmind will be a good source of Investiture with enough Hacks....Nicrosil or not-Nicrosil isn't really relevant here

1 minute ago, Yata said:

Indeed for now we know only that Innate Investiture could be stored, we don't know if this could be do with Kinetic too (I believe no, or at least the Southern didn't discover this yet).

I didn't point too much at this because every metalmind will be a good source of Investiture with enough Hacks....Nicrosil or not-Nicrosil isn't really relevant here

Ah, alright, I thought you were talking about Feruchemical nicrosil specifically.

Just now, The Allomantic Metalhead said:

@The One Who Connects Awesome. No more losing stormlight when it isn't being used!

Have fun trying.

Q: Since Stormlight and Breath are both investiture, would it be possible to use Nightblood with the former rather than the latter? Would it be possible to store Stormlight in metal using Feruchemy?

A: Mixing the magics is possible, but some are easier and more natural than other. Feeding Stormlight to Nightblood is easy. Storing Stormlight in metal is tough.

• Chaos locked this topic