During my WoR reread, I just found this. On page 727, where Kaladin is in prison, and Wit comes to tell the story of Fleet, he's sitting on a bench, tuning his lute (or some other stringed instrument) he says this, " 'Perfect pitch,' Wit said, 'makes this all so much easier than it once was.' " This seems to me to be a very subtle hint that Hoid has recently been to Nalthis and become an awakener. What do you think?

7 minutes ago, Shqueeves said:

Hoid has enough Breath to have reached the second heightening (~200). The real question is why nobody notices his color aura. 

He suppresses it. 

mooglefrooglian

Why is Hoid’s color aura from his Breaths not noticed by anyone on Roshar? Are the characters just not used to noticing that sort of thing, or does he not have one?

Brandon Sanderson

There are a mixture of reasons. Not the least is Hoid's control over investiture.

uchoo786

Would someone with breath be able to notice his aura on Roshar? E.g. Vasher?

Brandon Sanderson

Various methods of detecting investiture would still work, depending on how good a job Hoid is doing of suppressing his.

8 hours ago, Shqueeves said:

Hoid has enough Breath to have reached the second heightening (~200). The real question is why nobody notices his color aura. 

8 hours ago, Brightlord Maelstrom said:

Yea, Hoid mentions one of the Heightenings in WoK as well. As for the color aura, I have a couple of ideas, one of which might have to do with his lightweaving (the non-roshar kind), another having to do with suppressing breath, and a third about burning Copper.

Well what if it's as simple as him making a point not to be associated with any strong hues? He does wear black all the time, as Wit, and so maybe the fact that he's wearing black means his aura of colour is less noticeable? In Hallandren, people of the higher Heightenings wanted to flaunt it, wearing the most colourful clothes they could get their hands on. But on the Shattered Plains, clad in black? It might be a little silly, or too simple an answer, but it seems worth consideration.

EDIT: Should have read the full thread. (facepalm)

Edited by Kalleth

• Chaos locked this topic