• OST
    • BoB
    • Assail
    • Dancers Lament
    • Deadhouse Landing
    • Kellanved's Reach

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

With all the threats in the world and evil powers and everything else going on.... the one thing I'm most surprised about is that Brood hasn't just swung that hammer yet.

He strikes me as a particularly stubborn character, one who'd dislike a final solution, so to speak.

@Briar King, I just ordered all the ICE books on audible! They had a sale so I got them cheap. It's next on my list after Riyria.

Edited by officiumdefunctorum

2 hours ago, officiumdefunctorum said:

@Briar King I just ordered all the ICE books on audible! They had a sale so I got them cheap. It's next on my list after Riyria.

I picked them up on the same sale! I really like the narrator John Banks; he has a lot of great voices and range. You can't beat the books going for barely over five dollars either.

With the exception of Midnight Front by David Mack which releases at the end of January, I'm not leaving the world of Malazan until I finish everything I haven't read yet. To those of you who have read it, should I move from the IcE books into Kharkanas or Dancer's Lament? Do they spoil each other at all? Other than Kharkanas being a gazillion years in the past? 

Well @AngelEy3 I wouldn't go so far as to say not to read it, but the Kharkanus books are kind of like the Malazan Silmarillion in the sense that it is a origins story and a very stuffy book. It is also a work of a brilliant mind, but sometimes brilliant does not necessarily translate to fun. That being said I think you will like it more than I did judging from how you reacted to Dust of Dreams.

an someone please explain to me why Iskaral Pust wnted to feed Icarium to the Azath in Deadhouse Gates? I'm reading Memories of Ice now, so it doesn't really matter but I figured I might as well know...bear in mind no spoilers past book 2 please.

On another note what is the chronological order of Malazan book of the Fallen (not including any books by ICE)?

@NamelessThirteenth Fear of him is my best guess for why Pust wanted him fed to the Azath. There is much yet for you to learn about Icarium and Mappo's history, so to avoid any potential spoilers, RAFO.

I believe the chronological order is:

Midnight Tides

Gardens of the Moon 

Deadhouse Gates/Memories of Ice (occur simultaneously) 

House of Chains 

(Midnight Tides in publishing order) 

Bonehunters 

Reaper's Gale

Toll the Hounds 

Dust of Dreams

Crippled God 

I just finished Orb, Sceptre, Throne and barely started Blood and Bone. I am really digging the jungle environment...a setting that is vastly underutilized in the fantasy genre!

Almost all of Orb, Sceptre, Throne was all killer and no filler so hopefully Blood and Bone continues this! 

Oh memories of ice is amazing...way better than gardens of the moon by a long shot. it brings to getehr my favourite characters into readable perspectives: we get to see Caladan, Rake/Mop, Whiskeyjack and Silverfox (sick name BTW) working together and get perspectives; we get Toc back (yaaaaaay), this time he's with more weird people; and we get to see something like thirteen gods holding councils in a city assaulted by sons of necrophiliacs, lead by Anaster - who is by far the sickest nemesis Erikson has thought up yet.

Oh yeah, and Cladan has Thor's hammer, except it's actuall Burn's...

All in all, a rolllicking read, just can't tolerate Kruppe

@NamelessThirteenth oh no! Not most delicate and delectable Kruppe, surely? Modest Kruppe assures you that mirth for him shall grow as robust as, well, most magnificent Kruppe! Care for some cakes?

I used to hate Kruppe too and now I smile from ear to ear every time he's on screen. 

Rake/Whiskeyjack/Toc... 3 of my most favorite Malazan characters all one sentence. 

Yeah. I remember last year someone recommended Gardens...I restarted the book three times before I actually kept going into the series. Now i'm kinda happy because Erikson can give me my fantasy fix until the next Branderson.

On the topic, how long did it take for you to finish each book?

So I've been reading the ICE books in earnest, now, and I have to say that they're keeping me on my toes in spite of knowing what went down in the main events of Malazan. You can really tell that Esslemont and Erikson built this universe together.

Halfway through Orb Scepter Throne, and getting into the Seguleh is amaaazing. Still laughing about the quote from Stonewielder: "Sure, all fifteen thousand of us might manage to take one fishing village on that island."

On 12/28/2017 at 10:31 PM, officiumdefunctorum said:

So I've been reading the ICE books in earnest, now, and I have to say that they're keeping me on my toes in spite of knowing what went down in the main events of Malazan. You can really tell that Esslemont and Erikson built this universe together.

Halfway through Orb Scepter Throne, and getting into the Seguleh is amaaazing. Still laughing about the quote from Stonewielder: "Sure, all fifteen thousand of us might manage to take one fishing village on that island."

Yes.  It's weird, a lot of people on the Malazan Empire forum don't like OST, but easily it's my favorite ICE book (haven't read Deadhouse Landing  yet).