• Stonewielser
    • OST
    • BoB
    • Assail
    • Dancers Lament
    • Deadhouse Landing
    • Kellanved's Reach

Just now, AngelEy3 said:

Nice. I'm on my 2nd time right now, about 1/4 through Midnight Tides. Bonehunters is what I'm most looking forward to. 

Good to know that I will enjoy it. I admit so far I enjoyed Memories of Ice a lot because I like Whiskeyjack realtionship with Rake and Deadhouse Gates because I was a big fan to Coltaine. 

24 minutes ago, Yvainnie said:

Good to know that I will enjoy it. I admit so far I enjoyed Memories of Ice a lot because I like Whiskeyjack realtionship with Rake and Deadhouse Gates because I was a big fan to Coltaine. 

Indeed! Those two are so good and get the story really rolling along. It blows my my mind that

Spoiler

Whiskeyjack wrecking his knee in a one off sentence during Gardens of the Moon, and then not letting Mallet fix it for 1600 pages, led to it buckling during his fight with Kallor. 

Are you planning on reading the Esslemont books along with the main series? I believe that they kick in chronologically after Bonehunters iirc. I didn't the first time, but I think I might try it this time. 

Edited by AngelEy3

4 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Indeed! Those two are so good and get the story really rolling along. It blows my my mind that

Hide contents

Whiskeyjack wrecking his knee in a one off sentence during Gardens of the Moon, and then not letting Mallet fix it for 1600 pages, led to it buckling during his fight with Kallor. 

Are you planning on reading the Esslemont books along with the main series? I believe that they kick in chronologically after Bonehunters iirc. I didn't the first time, but I think I might try it this time. 

I really want to read that trilogy about Andii people! Andii are my favorite nation and also I would love to read more about Cotillion if it is somewhere in those other books.

Edited by Yvainnie

24 minutes ago, Yvainnie said:

I really want to read that trilogy about Andii people! Andii are my favorite nation and also I would love to read more about Cotillion if it is somewhere in those other books.

Path to Ascendancy is going to be good for you I think. Dancer's Lament especially. 

Just now, AngelEy3 said:

Path to Ascendancy is going to be good for you I think. Dancer's Lament especially. 

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. Dancer’s Lament sounds like exactly what I was hoping for. I am always so say that he get so little time in all those chapters but he and Shadowthrone look like important characters. I am also interested in who will be the ultimate villan of the series. I thought it might be Crippled God but

Spoiler

after Paran granted his house place in the Deck I am not so sure. 

I always read one book of Malazan followed by one book from Sanderson so I can switch it up and get rested after Malazan which is much more comlicated than anything from Sanderson I have read so far. I wonder if there is anybody else who needs a break from Malazan sometimes.

7 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Has anyone listened the audio version of Malazan? I'm finding myself in front of my pc more often and could be listening. 

I really like the Esslemont narrator John Banks. I wasn't fan of the Kharkanus natrators. For Erikson the narrator for the first three books is good. The narrator for books 4-10 is very talented, but struggles with books with a huge cast like malazan (he does a much better job with the Gentleman Bastard series).

30 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

I really like the Esslemont narrator John Banks. I wasn't fan of the Kharkanus natrators. For Erikson the narrator for the first three books is good. The narrator for books 4-10 is very talented, but struggles with books with a huge cast like malazan (he does a much better job with the Gentleman Bastard series).

@AngelEy3 Solid opinions, here. Esslemont books are easy to listen to, though Banks (I think) pronounces some things differently than either of the other narrators.

Ralph Lister narrates the first three Erikson books, and I love some of what he does, and do not love other things. He's one of my favorite overall narrators, though, and you'll not be displeased. I especially liked his version of Icarium.

Michael Page takes over on book four. It took some getting used to, because of the switch (I get very attached to narrators). I like him, though; he does well with the drama of it, though he's got a few irritating quirks of pronunciation and voice changes, especially for female characters... It always gets a bit, I don't know, phlegmy? He corrects the mispronounced words by book five, though, I think, which isn't unusual for audiobook narrators. I WILL say that I massively prefer Page's versions of Kalam and Quickben, at the least, and he does Karsa Orlong very well.

There is a mysterious fourth narrator out there who did the whole collection (I think) but he is terrible and I refused to listen to more than a minute of it before going back to Michael Page.

1 hour ago, officiumdefunctorum said:

There is a mysterious fourth narrator out there who did the whole collection (I think) but he is terrible and I refused to listen to more than a minute of it before going back to Michael Page.

I know who you are taking about. There are certain audiobooks that you can only get by official means if you are legally blind (I think the official title for this is National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped) and the fourth narrator does these type of books. Michael Krammer does a audiobook of Warbreaker that also falls into the category. 

Edited by Ammanas

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

I know who you are taking about. There are certain audiobooks that you can only get by official means if you are legally blind (I think the official title for this is National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped) and the fourth narrator does these type of books. Michael Krammer does a audiobook of Warbreaker that also falls into the category. 

If Michael Kramer could just narrate everything ever that would be great.

6 hours ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

No Not-Apsalar on anyone's last? Laaaaame.

Also, before I forget, @officiumdefunctorum that was a good article you posted! 

Nah, I kinda thought she was a bit boring. She and Crokus both. Telorast and Kurdle were a riot, though.

Also, I can't believe I forgot about Icarium! Ugh, too many characters that are amazing...

3 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Speaking of Not-Apsalar don't forget about Lostara Yil who is also known as Not-Not-Apsalar :)

I cant even compile a list of favorites though...it seems like whatever character makes a appearance steals the show. 

True, but the man who wears the Royal Blanket stole the show entire, at least for me. He was the first character I really loved in the series.

Shurq Elalle definitely would have made it into the list, but I needed room for Fiddler.

Just finished Forge of Darkness, which I enjoyed immensely, now onto Fall of Light.

Spoilery thoughts below.

Spoiler

I suppose Fall of Light will answer my questions, but the timeline just seems to get more convoluted, especially regarding Errastus. He's obviously partaking of K'rul's gift, but it was my thought that his blood created the warrens, not necessarily the holds, as is evident by Draconus' gift to Mother Dark and T'riss' to the high priestess whose name I forget. So... Errastus is to become the master of the tiles, I wonder if that happens because he flees Kurald Galain?

Anyway, the cast of characters and back stories is ridiculous. While I did enjoy all of them, I found myself wanting more of Orfantal and Arathan. I'm a sucker for the broken characters of the world, what can I say? Also, I will scream if Osserc's fate is left the way of Silverfox in the main Malazan storyline. I know that the third book may be a long time coming, if at all, but I need to know these things.

See now when I 1st read FoD I just hated all the info clashes it brought to bare from 1-10. Tool sheds some light to Lorn in Gardens but you don’t know this till reread or if you read FoD 1st obviously. He tells her about Andii/Rake and stops mid tale to say something along the lines of his information could be wrong. I look forward to when I can really commit my time and get back in Malazan and reread FoD.

This isn’t going to happen till I finish Fitz 4-9 I suspect though.

Crimson was boring me.

I think all the clashes of information is due to two reasons:

1. His background has a archeologist. History changes all the time based on new information.

2. The author really doesn't care about getting facts straight. He is more concerned with messages and theames. He has said if he focused on tinelines and lining up details it would cease to be fun for him and he wouldn't want to write anymore.

On a sidenote the self indulgence and for lack of a better word pompous attitude of this book is at times amazing and other times absurd. Here is the first page for a taste

Screenshot_2018-04-22-17-55-21.png

While I understand Erikson's desire to get on with it, that sort of inconsistency is one of my pet peeves. Some hand waving in terms of unreliable narrators and the shifting narrative of history, sure, cool, and writing what is essentially a prequel inevitably will bring in some conflicts, but still: annoying.

I'm already about 8 hours into Fall of Light and the lofty tones are quite apparent. I do tend to zone out a little during the philosophical nattering. The pontificating on what is essentially time travel is fun, though. It's not nearly so obnoxious as Bakker, which would be a feat.

@Briar King Are you reading Robin Hobb?

Edited by officiumdefunctorum