Would you let amazon into your home?

mattig89ch

Hidy ho all,

I just read this new story on my local site.  And its...quite terrifying. longisland.news12.com/story/36683883/not-at-home-amazon-wants-to-come-in-and-drop-off-packages

The short of it is, you let an amazon delivery person, into your home, to drop off a package, while your not there.  You buy an amazon lock, and amazon camera, the delivery person is then let past your lock, and into your home.

How is this anything but scary?  And how do you feel about the idea?

19 hours ago, Draginon said:

I do see the convenience of it but I'm not going to let a stranger come in. Heck the radio station I listen to talked about it this morning and the guy suggested maybe a strongbox instead.

But that way, they couldn't get real time video on your house interior, real time audio, and unlimited access to your house whenever they wanted.  ;)

Yeah, hell would have to freeze over first. Other than the fact that they would almost certainly let my fur baby out of the house, I hate the idea of a total stranger being in my home. Not sure how they expected positive reception on this idea. Plus there's easy access to my garden, so I usually ask them to put the package there when i'm out.

If I still lived in the high-crime neighborhood I used to, I absolutely would. Not only could anything left outside be stolen, but a successful theft would embolden thieves to try again, hurting more people. I'd feel a responsibility to keep things away from thieves, so as not to encourage crime.

edit: I hasten to add that I wouldn't generalize this to other "victim blaming". It's simply my experience, living in an area with thefts.

Edited by Morsk

I accidentally left my car doors unlocked once. I had a backseat full of my board games and signed books. It was a once in six months thing. Sure enough, someone came around that night. 

In the morning I get in my car and it takes a second before I notice. My $6 charger is missing. A few bucks in spare change. A few board games had been opened and searched through, but they were all still there as well as all my signed Sanderson books. I didn't notice that my six-disc changer with my hard copy of the Graphic Audio Version of Mistborn wasn't in the glovebox, but I did notice that my car's cigarette lighter was gone as well. 

A few days later we went grocery shopping and open up the trunk. My disc golf bag had been unzipped and all the discs were spread across the trunk. Next to them were my phone charger, my six-disc changer with Mistborn, and my car's cigarette lighter. 

All in all, it was a very polite robbery.