Potential for Hemalurgy on Roshar

Hey Team! 

First day on here, but long time follower of everything Sanderson related and have read everything published within the cosmere. 

For a while now I have been interested in the potential use of Hemalurgy on Roshar. We know inquisitors can have 9-11 spikes (I believe) and Hemalurgy is of Ruin, the only other Shard, apart from Odium that seems that have directly try to kill/splinter another Shard. 

Given there are 10 surges in surgebinding, and 10 is an important number on Roshar, it might well be that there are 10 voidbinding surges. We also know that Honor was pushing Dalinar towards forcing Odium to chose a champion. 

So I have a few questions and wanted to know peoples thoughts regarding them, or if any interviews with Brandon have said anything about this - or alternatively if this has been discussed before. Firstly will we see hemalurgy on Roshar, secondly could either a radiant/voidbringer hold all the surges through spikes, thirdly would Odium be able to use hemalurgy to form a direct connection to someone like ruin, and fourthly, if so, could these be viable champions for each side? 

What do people think about this? 

With a good enough knowledge of hemalurgy, you could steal the surges. However, Brandon has said before that for a Nahel bond to be stolen, both the person and the spren have to be spiked. You could always spike these into another spren, causing them to bond, or, alternatively, you could possibly spike them into just a person or animal, or even yourself, causing the same thing. However, this could always cause weirdness with surgebinding and what order you'd be, as Brandon has said that even a seon bond would provide weird powers on Roshar.

I believe that we will eventually see hemalurgy on Roshar as era 2 occurs in the 15 year gap between books 5 and 6, and with the sudden rediscovering of hemalurgy, who knows what could happen.

With the communication question, iirc Brandon has said that Ruin can get into people's minds through holes as he created the people themselves, so Odium mainly uses Unmade for communication with people, and is able to control voidbringer parshendi.

I may be wrong on some points though, so feel free to correct me on any points.

Edited by KhanBoltNo4503

Hi,

Inquisitors could have much more Spikes (Marsh for example exceded the twenties) but too many Spikes began to mess with the Mind.

In the Ars Arcanum is stated that the Voidbinding has 10 levels but this tell us nothing on the actual working of that magic.

Returning to Hemalurgy, that magic is possible everywhere in the Cosmere with the right knowledge. I really doubt we will see It relevant in the SA's plot as every series have to be' indipendant from the others...but It's possible there is some Hemalurgy user in Roshar, probably part of the worldhopper's comunity.

In theory nothing prevent someone to gather all' the Surges with Hemalurgy (well there is the Oaths problem, but we are talking of a theoric scenario).

Odium is already able to craft a connection to someone like Ruin did. His Voidspren carry a backdoor to him in the same way the Hemalurgy carries a backdoor for everyone. Notice that if (for theory) someone was Spiked enough to be' controlled by Shards, this guy will be expose to Odium and Cultivation too. 

Edited by Yata

Considering Brandon has said his works will be mostly independent, so the casual reader can understand and enjoy them, I don't think we'll see hemalurgy in SA except in cameo. I don't think we'll see major crossover material until a later series, or in works that are meant to expound on Cosmere knowledge, like Secret History.

• Chaos locked this topic