Mystery Project in Sanderson's Status Bar

Exalted

1 minute ago, asterion137 said:

secret history #2

Khriss/Nazh short story

But imo its probably

Reveal hidden contents

Alcatraz #6

since the very existence of the book is kind of a spoiler.

Ah, right, I'd forgotten about that. Kind of disappointed, I was hoping for some sort of Cosmere work.

I think Alcatraz 6 is most likely. If not that, then the second Rithmatist book. I actually do believe we will be getting a cosmere novella at some point before Stormlight 4, I just don't think he's writing it yet. 

My theory on Brandon's writing schedule:

• Apocalypse Guard 1
  • Legion 3
  • Alcatraz 6
  • Apocalypse Guard 2
  • Cosmere novella
  • Apocalypse Guard 3
  • Rithmatist 2
  • W&W 4
  • Stormlight 4

I actually jumped out of my seat when I saw that there was a "mystery project" on Brandon's writing status and now my heart is pounding incredibly fast. I'm hoping that it's a cosmere novella, but I wouldn't mind if it was Alcatraz #6 because I've been wanting to read those books for a long time and need the motivation to get out of the "all I'm gonna do is read Stormlight over and over again and not pick up another book for a few months" trance :P

It'd be funny if it was the non-Cosmere short story collection and he's just doing something forwards/postscripts along with a little information on those worlds to explain why they are so different from our world.

Otherwise I think it's going to be a short story/novella or even Secret History 2.

I don't think we'll see Secret History 2 until after Era 2 is complete, if we ever see it at all.

Speculation is rampant, but there are hints that this Mystery Project is something not on his regular calendar from SotS last year. Whatever it is, I suspect it's his NaNo project, and he won't tell us what it is until at least the first draft is done.

11 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Speculation is rampant, but there are hints that this Mystery Project is something not on his regular calendar from SotS last year. Whatever it is, I suspect it's his NaNo project, and he won't tell us what it is until at least the first draft is done.

Where is it hinted? Reddit?

The biggest question for me is why he removed Apocalypse Guard for it. Why not just throw away one of the finished ones?

2 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Where is it hinted? Reddit?

The biggest question for me is why he removed Apocalypse Guard for it. Why not just throw away one of the finished ones?

Someone pulled it out of last year's State of the Sanderson. Just vague hints that he might have something else kicking around in the back of his brain. 

(Edited To Add: Okay, I just went back and re-read this person's speculation. My mistake; it wasn't anything hinted at, just someone making a wild intuitive guess that it isn't on the last year's SotS list.)

But...he didn't remove Apocalypse Guard. It's right there on the bottom of the screenshot.

2 hours ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

Maybe he accidentally wrote a book again and the mystery project is its second draft?

Heh. I don't think that's the case, as it is showing only 1% complete. He's only just begun.

3 hours ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

Maybe he accidentally wrote a book again and the mystery project is its second draft?

If he was clarifying the backstory and powers of a certain sword I can see how, Brandon being Brandon, that would magically turn into an unanticipated novel.

Nothing would make me happier than if this was true.