How old are highstorms?

Leyrann

Question

Simple question - Has Brandon Sanderson ever told us how old highstorms are? I was looking around a bit because I had a theory, and I found two different questions that both implied they were there before the Shards arrived (one straight up said that there was WoB on it), but I could not find where Brandon had actually said that.

EDIT: Got answered here.

Edited by Leyrann

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Themasterhunter said:

I think that the storms were there, but got stronger and invested when honor possessed roshar. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t roshar pretty desolate before infused highstorms?

The Highstorms were infused far before Honor & Cultivation arrived. The Listeners' race predate the Shards' arrive and there were Spren too.

Honor & Cultivation improved the amount of Investiture in the planet but Roshar was already a functional envirorment designed by Adonalsium

Just the WoB that reaffirms what Yata said. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Pre-Shattering magic in books?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Let's see. I would count the highstorms as that. Highstorm predates the Shattering. Now, the highstorm has been changed dramatically by certain events, but the highstorm does predate the Shattering.

This link is all the current WoB's about highstorms that are on Arcanum. There's some interesting tidbits on their if you're curious.