Worst Sanderson Character

I haven't seen enough characters yet but I can't recall any that I thought were particularly bad. Annoying maybe but that says more on how they get under the skin.

If I had to name one out of the ones I've read so far then I'd go with Dilaf. He reminded me a little of Margaret White from Carrie, way too devoted to his faith that he's a raving lunatic jumping at any reason to destroy those he interprets as evil. Not knocking the faith itself, just the man.

I think there's a character in every book that didn't work for me. In Elantris, it's one of the lords. Definitely not Roial, but I remember one of them not working for me. I can't remember his name. I could if I weren't tired. For the Mistborn trilogy, I must second @Penumbra. Zane is the worst character that Sanderson has written. A one-sided, stereotypical demon. The character in Warbreaker is actually one Brandon has admitted he could've done better. Parlin. Parlin had a lot of potential, but he felt wasted. I personally think that Highprince Roion was wasted as well, but that's just me.

Other than that, keep it up, Brandon! Maybe you can fix Parlin for the 10th anniversary edition of Warbreaker!

On 10/22/2017 at 11:57 AM, Penumbra said:

Zane. I always just come into these kinda threads and write Zane. 

He was angsty and with reason, but it became too much for me to handle. He seemed to me like a distraction from the plot rather than an asset to it somehow.

Yeah, I feel like Zane was written because somebody bet Sanderson that he couldn’t fit a character from a bad YA book into one of his books. 

Lift. A immature silly girl that just keeps saying "awesome" over and over and over again.

I get why people like her, but she just does not work for me at this time. I think in the latter novels, when she has some time to mature, she could improve.

Edited by Ammanas

18 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Lift. A immature silly girl that just keeps saying "awesome" over and over and over again.

I get why people like her, but she just does not work for me at this time. I think in the latter novels, when she has some time to mature, she could improve.

I'm always surprised to see Lift haters. I guess because I like here and think of her as the comic relief of SA kinda like Wayne in E2. I liked her even more after Edgedancer. To each their own though. I can see how she comes across silly (although I think a lot of it is a coping mechanism).

I'd have to say Zane as well which is weird because I like most of the bad guys Brandon writes. 

Going to have to echo people and say Zane. He reminds me of the edgy D&D characters that I used to play when I was in Highschool. While I understand Vin's being tempted by the idea of freedom to be who she really is and being afraid that Elend couldn't provide that (And that he was too good for her), I still cringe at the Vin/Zane scenes.

8 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

Hoid

's brother Kip who rides around town on a dirtbike acting like it's a real motorcycle and stealing beer from teenagers.

Kip sounds like an upstanding citizen. It's illegal for teens to consume alcohol. Why do you dislike him? 

On 10/27/2017 at 3:57 PM, Shqueeves said:

Sadeas.

That would be my answer.  There's a reason I started off the first Adolin POV on Stormcast with "at the end of the last book, Adolin murdered Sadeas, which made all the fans very happyas."  Being a scheming snake I can respect, but when you're so utterly devoted to being a scheming snake that you lose perspective and don't realize that the freaking apocalypse is a bad time to be a scheming snake and maneuver for political advantage and personal gain, that's where you lose me.

I'll also have to say that I really disliked Zane. I didn't think his characterization really added anything to the story aside from serving as the "bad boy" in the (IMO) annoyingly shoehorned Elend/Vin/Zane love triangle. He talks and acts like he escaped from a 14-year-old's bad Mistborn fanfiction, and almost ruined Well of Ascension for me. I get that the middle installment of a trilogy is supposed to be the dark and brooding one, but he distracted from the overall tone of the book too much for me to feel anything but annoyance whenever he showed up.

Edited by Unlicensed Hemalurgist

• 2 months later...

I understand why people don't like Zane, but I think he's a really good foil for Vin in Well of Ascension.  He's also one of the only parts of Well of Ascension that I like haha.  In terms of characters I don't like, I have to say Siri.  Her situation with Sussebron is cool/funny, but her character is kind of annoying to me.  

• Chaos locked this topic