Duralumin in the Cosmere

Gigalemesh

We know aluminium has the effect of being magically inert across lots of magic systems, and I was thinking wouldn't it be cool if duralumin also had effects around boosting magic in other magic systems. Not really basing that on anything, just something that popped into my head, and I though it could have some cool implications. Probably not the case but who knows. What do people think 

5 hours ago, Shqueeves said:

Theoretically, yes, you could use duralumin to boost other magics. However, that person would have to be a allomancer capable of burning duralumin. Much easier to use a nicrosil misting to boost effects

Actually I believe the OP refers to the Durallumin as material alone, not to someone burning Durallumin.

Example: In the same way a piece of Allumin if UnForgable a piece of Durallumin would be extremely easy to Forge.

By the way, it's not the case. Alluminium's weirdness is spread among the Cosmere but as far as we know, it's mostly an unique case as someone will notice if the Durallumin acts differently too (expecially on Scadrial)

52 minutes ago, Yata said:

Actually I believe the OP refers to the Durallumin as material alone, not to someone burning Durallumin.

Example: In the same way a piece of Allumin if UnForgable a piece of Durallumin would be extremely easy to Forge.

By the way, it's not the case. Alluminium's weirdness is spread among the Cosmere but as far as we know, it's mostly an unique case as someone will notice if the Durallumin acts differently too (expecially on Scadrial)

Yeah that is what I was talking about, and I had thought of that exact example with forging.

And you are probably right that someone would have noticed on scadrial if it was the case. I just thought it would be interesting to think about 

Edited by Gigalemesh
Spelling mistake

• 2 weeks later...

Aluminum is a naturally occurring material on Scadrial (Even though they did have to harvest it from volcanoes.) Although TLR already knew about Duralumin, it took metallurgists a long while of actively looking for a new metal (I want to say they went through a good 50 or 60 metals before they found Duralumin? But i don't really remember.) Its not likely someone would just stumble across Duralumin, and i highly doubt that it exists outside of Scadrial. I think that if someone brought Duralumin elsewhere in the cosmere (whether through worldhopping or space travel in era 4), it could be likely to enhance other forms of investiture use.

Given what we know of relative technology levels, Sel has probably discovered duralumin since they have naturally occurring aluminum and as one of the most technologically advanced worlds Taldain might have it too, though we've yet to see evidence of aluminum there. Roshar probably doesn't have any, because the base metal has to be soulcast and people are unlikely to start experimenting with using the stuff in alloys on their own, not to mention that they can use soulcasting to create things like super-light yet strong wood so they don't have as much incentive towards experimental metallurgy.

All that said, literally nothing has been said on Scadrial about duralumin having any special properties outside its use in the Metallic Arts and if such properties existed, the Scadrians would notice. They already figured out that aluminum has several unusual properties beyond its uses in the native magic systems and they're known for their highly refined metallurgy so if the metal did have special powers it's the sort of thing they'd have observed in the three centuries since the metal became widely known.

1 hour ago, gaberz24 said:

Aluminum is a naturally occurring material on Scadrial (Even though they did have to harvest it from volcanoes.) Although TLR already knew about Duralumin, it took metallurgists a long while of actively looking for a new metal (I want to say they went through a good 50 or 60 metals before they found Duralumin? But i don't really remember.) Its not likely someone would just stumble across Duralumin, and i highly doubt that it exists outside of Scadrial. I think that if someone brought Duralumin elsewhere in the cosmere (whether through worldhopping or space travel in era 4), it could be likely to enhance other forms of investiture use.

Umm... not quite. 

“Looks like I’m lucky,” Vin said, extinguishing the duralumin. “Terion came up with forty different alloys he thought we could try, once we had enough aluminum. This was only the fifth.”

They went through a little bit less than 50-60 alloys. :)

Edited by podman36
Added emote to better convey a tone of polite correction, rather than "you're stupid" correction.

On 10/23/2017 at 0:50 AM, Yata said:

I have always hoped that the material of duralumin would do the opposite of aluminum, so like easier to push, but I don't think there is any evidence that this is true. 

28 minutes ago, Thanatos said:

Duralumin Lashing = Parshendi Pancakes

Are you proposing just lashing Parshendi straight down and using the added power of duralumin to just instantly flatten them against the ground? If not, I feel like a duralumin lashing straight up would send someone into space, unfortunately avoiding the pancake stage. 

• Chaos locked this topic