First Thing You're Going to do With Oathbringer

MistbornAlpaca

Hey everyone. I know we're all excited for Oathbringer :lol: What are you all going to do the moment you open the box that came in the mail, that contains that beautiful, hardcover book? Will you scream with joy, and let the cake burn in the oven while you glory over the embossed cover? Will you jump in and start reading immediately, missing five important phone calls, but you don't even care? Does UPS come later at your house, so that at 10 pm, you'll scream with joy, awakening your dog (not like that) and not even caring that no work will get done the following day because you stayed up until 4 am reading?

55 minutes ago, Rogueshar said:

Cry because law school leaves me with little time to read and I desperately want to read this book immediately.

Audiobook? Probably too expensive though, at least for me. It's a rare luxury. :( Unless the library happens to have it. :D But they definitely won't have Oathbringer as soon as I need to read it. :(

I'll look at the embossed cover and page through part 1 to look for art and chapter icons that we've missed, then jump back into the book with the first interludes. I'm going to be reading it "in step" with a friend of mine so we'll see what kinda pace we set for reading. 

1 hour ago, MasterJack said:

Audiobook? Probably too expensive though, at least for me. It's a rare luxury. :( Unless the library happens to have it. :D But they definitely won't have Oathbringer as soon as I need to read it. :(

I'm hoping to buy it as an e-book and read it on the train going to school.

Get it signed, hopefully get a creative RAFO and/or new info on the Kandra, then check out the art and listen to the audiobook. This'll be the first physical SA book for me, and only the second physical Cosmere piece! (White Sand is the other one, since there is no audiobook for the entire comic XP)

(Also, for those who are priced out of the audiobooks, use Audible! It's only $14 per book at one a month, and I think you get 3 credits free when you sign up. I've listened to dozens of books by just spending $14 a month for a few years and only buying the books without credits when they're on a sale that reduces them below $14.)

20 hours ago, Rider of Storms said:

I'll look at the embossed cover and page through part 1 to look for art and chapter icons that we've missed, then jump back into the book with the first interludes. I'm going to be reading it "in step" with a friend of mine so we'll see what kinda pace we set for reading. 

That's an interesting way to go... but kind of cool actually!

4 hours ago, Fourth Of The Night said:

(Also, for those who are priced out of the audiobooks, use Audible! It's only $14 per book at one a month, and I think you get 3 credits free when you sign up. I've listened to dozens of books by just spending $14 a month for a few years and only buying the books without credits when they're on a sale that reduces them below $14.)

You get 2 credits when you sign up. Audible is what I use when I buy audiobooks, but first I tend to see if the library has it first. (mine usually has the ones I want :)) I've almost subscribed to the Audible membership a few time, but I can't bring myself to do it. Is it worth it?

5 minutes ago, MasterJack said:

You get 2 credits when you sign up. Audible is what I use when I buy audiobooks, but first I tend to see if the library has it first. (mine usually has the ones I want :)) I've almost subscribed to the Audible membership a few time, but I can't bring myself to do it. Is it worth it?

Well, using my audible membership I have listened to the following books: All 7 Harry Potter novels, Every single Cosmere novel (including Arcanum Unbounded), Dune, the entire Flinx series by Alan Dean Foster (14 books), several of the Dresden Files books, and Books 1-2 of The Pillars of Reality (I'm listening to them with my Wife, so we're only doing those on long drives together). I've gotten a -lot- of value out of my membership, I think!

18 minutes ago, MasterJack said:

That's an interesting way to go... but kind of cool actually!

Thank you. I figured we'd get more out of it that way, sort of like reading the preview chapters, theorizing, and then getting proven wrong the next batch. We'll see if it works though and if it doesn't we won't do it next book.

Edit: also, here on the Shard we discourage double-posting. It's usually better to edit the post and add whatever you'd like to say. Cheers

Edited by Rider of Storms

46 minutes ago, Fourth Of The Night said:

Well, using my audible membership I have listened to the following books: All 7 Harry Potter novels, Every single Cosmere novel (including Arcanum Unbounded), Dune, the entire Flinx series by Alan Dean Foster (14 books), several of the Dresden Files books, and Books 1-2 of The Pillars of Reality (I'm listening to them with my Wife, so we're only doing those on long drives together). I've gotten a -lot- of value out of my membership, I think!

I only have a seasonal job, and I have school. (Although being homeschooled gives me a little more time)

45 minutes ago, Rider of Storms said:

Thank you. I figured we'd get more out of it that way, sort of like reading the preview chapters, theorizing, and then getting proven wrong the next batch. We'll see if it works though and if it doesn't we won't do it next book.

Edit: also, here on the Shard we discourage double-posting. It's usually better to edit the post and add whatever you'd like to say. Cheers

Happy reading! Hopefully, that works out for you. Sounds good on the double posting, I didn't even think about it. Whoops!

On 10/20/2017 at 3:36 PM, Argent said:

Smell it.

I'll do that, then pretend to be sick so I can get out of school, then read for hours on end.

One time last year I smelled a book in the middle of English. (It was tWoA). My teacher was very confused.

On 10/20/2017 at 3:52 PM, MasterJack said:

(Sorry for the double post, but I had to quote this).

Once the audiobook gets published/released, you could get a 30 day free trial on Audible, and get any two free audiobooks. (That's how I have tWoK and WoR on audiobook).

Wait, never mind. @Fourth Of The Night already said that.

Edited by Tesh

8 hours ago, Tesh said:

(Sorry for the double post, but I had to quote this).

Once the audiobook gets published/released, you could get a 30 day free trial on Audible, and get any two free audiobooks. (That's how I have tWoK and WoR on audiobook).

Wait, never mind. @Fourth Of The Night already said that.

I've already done my free trial, and I've already bought several audiobooks (unfortunately I had already read tWoK and WoR so I got the first 2 reckoners with my trial instead. In hindsight, I should have gotten more expensive books.) Another trick for you guys, if you buy the Kindle edition of the book first, the audiobook becomes over 50% cheaper, making the bundled deal less than just the audiobook by itself. (that's how I got reckoners 3)

1 hour ago, MasterJack said:

I've already done my free trial, and I've already bought several audiobooks (unfortunately I had already read tWoK and WoR so I got the first 2 reckoners with my trial instead. In hindsight, I should have gotten more expensive books.) Another trick for you guys, if you buy the Kindle edition of the book first, the audiobook becomes over 50% cheaper, making the bundled deal less than just the audiobook by itself. (that's how I got reckoners 3)

I've already read the SA. I love audiobooks as they allow you to "read" and do homework, clean your room, do chores, lay in bed being lazy, or other things. 

In other words, I can't stand not multitasking.

21 minutes ago, Tesh said:

I've already read the SA. I love audiobooks as they allow you to "read" and do homework, clean your room, do chores, lay in bed being lazy, or other things. 

In other words, I can't stand not multitasking.

100% Agreed. Although I can't listen to audiobooks or music while doing homework, everything else, thumbs up!