Is Alcatraz Smedry a Hero or Not?

Is Alcatraz Smedry a Hero or Not?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Is Alcatraz Smedry a Hero? Or is he a terrible person as he claims?

• Hero
    • Terrible Person

I haven't finished all the books yet, so there could be things that make this poll irrelevant. But in your personal opinion, do you think Alcatraz Smedry is a terrible person as he repeatedly argues, or do you think he is a hero in spite of his flaws?

Also, why's it so storming quiet in this thread?

He's a short-sighted, emotional, self-conscious idiot desperate for his family's approval. But so is every teenager I know.

I think he tries to be a hero. He's just really, really bad at it. Sure, he's made mistakes. A lot. And gotten people killed. But he's never killed anyone himself, only allowed it to happen through his incompetence. He tries to help others, but sometimes his self-preservation instincts distract him.

Also, if it's any excuse, he had a lousy childhood, is ravaged by the Dark Talent and his life got flipped turned upside down by the Librarians. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Technically, yes. Really, no. After all, the dictionary definition of "hero" is simply someone who is looked up to and admired, regardless of whether they deserve such attention. Based on the premise of the series, Alcatraz seems to fit the bill. In the popular interpretation of "hero", I'd say no, not because of any particular flaw or mistake, but because he wallows in his failures instead of trying to fix them. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a really tough question.  Altogether, I think it boils down to him being... Neither.

He is a kid that tries to do what is right, just like most people.  But he only tries when things are convenient, have no repercussions, or is being pushed by his heroic family. 

Spoiler

When things come down to the wire and he is truly pushed:

he gives up, takes the easy road. The coward's path.  That is not something a true hero would do. If I had to pick one person to be a true hero in these series, it would either be Bastille or the grandfather.  Even Alcatraz's father would come into consideration.

There is a LOT that happens in these books.  If you have not read each one in the series so far, you are missing a LOT of crucial information about who each of these characters are.

...Speaking of which, I really need to reread the series as I haven't read it since "The Dark Talent" came out... : )

• 2 months later...

I kinda wanted to put in my two cents on this. I think that Alcatraz wallows in his guilt over that one single action. He has this image of what a hero is that includes someone perfect, someone who would gladly give themselves up for someone else. When he failed some of his internal criteria, he mentally assigned the label "Not a hero" and since everybody viewed him as one anyways, he decided he was a terrible person, since he knew he wasn't the person they thought he was. But when it came down to it, he did try very hard to succeed in doing the right thing. He failed (or at least it seems like he did), which he added into the label of "Not a hero." I don't think he meets the expectations he sets for himself to be a hero, but I think that he qualifies anyways. Heroes are allowed to make mistakes.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the point Brandon is trying to make with Alcatraz is that being a hero isn't about what you can do, but about what you choose to do. Kind of like Chamber of Secrets' lesson. For most of the books, I feel like Alcatraz's arc is failing until he succeeds, which is a fairly heroic thing. It's how all stories work. I just feel like Alcatraz also sometimes succeeds in the wrong way, kind of like how his Talent will do everything he wants it to until it doesn't.

• 3 months later...

i would also point out that alcatraz's thing is that, yes he has great power and whatnot, but he is still just a person, not a hero, just a kid in the wrong/right place at the wrong/right time, or at least, that is how i see it