Returned-ception

Faceless Mist-Wraith

It is shown that Endowment gives Returned a choice, but is there a chance that a person can be given a second second chance? If a Returned fails whatever it is they returned to do, is it still possible for them to Return again? Or just in general, if they die, is there anything stopping them from being given the offer?

If this were true, how many times could said Returned re-Return?

I'm not in a position to hunt WoB at the moment.

Drabs cannot return, so a Returned that gives up their breath won't come back.

As for your actual question, if they die without healing someone, I would think that it would be up to Endowment's discretion since she seems to hand pick who returns.

Edited by Wreith

How can we guarantee it hasn't already happened, they said they seem to take a different form upon returning, and have no memories of prior abilities. They only get one breath, when they die they lose it, so they only get one breath back. Who's to say a vitally important TRAIT, isn't just recycled until someone else exemplifies the trait in a stronger fashion, then that returned is released of his/her role as "Returned".

On October 19, 2017 at 8:17 PM, Wreith said:

I'm not in a position to hunt WoB at the moment.

Drabs cannot return, so a Returned that gives up their breath won't come back.

As for your actual question, if they die without healing someone, I would think that it would be up to Endowment's discretion since she seems to hand pick who returns.

I agree that they wouldn't be able to Re-Return if they died by giving up their Breath. I was mostly wondering:

A.) How likely it could be that Devotion could pick the same person twice

B.) If there was a way to influence whether or not you're chosen if you were chosen before

C.) If other magic systems could be used to game the Returned system.

On October 23, 2017 at 8:07 AM, Knghtstlker said:

How can we guarantee it hasn't already happened, they said they seem to take a different form upon returning, and have no memories of prior abilities. They only get one breath, when they die they lose it, so they only get one breath back. Who's to say a vitally important TRAIT, isn't just recycled until someone else exemplifies the trait in a stronger fashion, then that returned is released of his/her role as "Returned".

If I'm understanding you correctly, I don't think that has happened, since it is never mentioned that some Returned repeatedly Return. Lightsong probably would have mentioned it if one Returned kept coming back to hold the role of god of (insert trait here).

On 10/19/2017 at 4:19 PM, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

If a Returned fails whatever it is they returned to do, is it still possible for them to Return again?

Endowment interrupts their trek towards the Beyond to give them the choice to Return. I don't see any reason why she can't just stop them again. Now whether there would be enough of them left to accept her offer is another debate.

On 10/24/2017 at 9:23 AM, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

How likely it could be that Devotion could pick the same person twice

Endowment. (But I know what you meant.)

And I'd have to say it depends on a few factors, all of which stem from Endowment's Judgement:

• If Endowment can see the visions she shows the Returned, then it's up to her on how important that that future comes to pass.
  • If she wants/needs that future to occur, then it's up to her judgement on whether another being could accomplish it or if it must be that person.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2017 at 11:48 AM, Master Knapper said:

Not sure how this would happen.  Outside of murder, healing someone, or consuming their god breath, how can a returned die?  The first has to be pretty rare, and the second and third would leave them without a breath.

Murder is probably more common where novel worthy action is happening though. See Blushweaver.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:14 PM, Storyspren said:

Murder is probably more common where novel worthy action is happening though. See Blushweaver.

Based on both Lightsong and Blushweavers reaction to that action, I don't believe that the thought had previously occurred to either that the murder of a god was even a possibility. 

Now back in the time of the Manywar, it might have been common, but that was 300 years ago.  I guess that is what we are talking about?  The only returned we really hear about from that time are the 5 scholars, although others must have been around.

Edited by Master Knapper

3 hours ago, Master Knapper said:

Based on both Lightsong and Blushweavers reaction to that action, I don't believe that the thought had previously occurred to either that the murder of a god was even a possibility. 

Now back in the time of the Manywar, it might have been common, but that was 300 years ago.  I guess that is what we are talking about?  The only returned we really hear about from that time are the 5 scholars, although others must have been around.

Oh I didn't mean to say it was common. Only that returned-ception isnt ruled out by lack of God murder pretty breath-giving. We even have a potential returned-ception-ee in Blushweaver, though I rather think she fulfilled why she came back. 

To me it's the seeing the future possibilities in the spiritual that really reduces the odds of returned-ception. But not to zero. (As we've seen various levels of seeing the future even between shards.)

• 3 months later...
On 11/20/2017 at 3:58 PM, Storyspren said:

Oh I didn't mean to say it was common. Only that returned-ception isnt ruled out by lack of God murder pretty breath-giving. We even have a potential returned-ception-ee in Blushweaver, though I rather think she fulfilled why she came back. 

We also have a potential Returned-ception-ee who was killed not only without giving up the Divine Breath, but even with a wealth of normal Breaths... In Denth.

Who probably has not fulfilled why he came back all those long years earlier.

On 3/7/2018 at 10:54 AM, robardin said:

We also have a potential Returned-ception-ee who was killed not only without giving up the Divine Breath, but even with a wealth of normal Breaths... In Denth.

Who probably has not fulfilled why he came back all those long years earlier.

Oh my jeese to peas! Death! You're right!

• Chaos locked this topic