UK Oathbringer Tour - Waterstones Glasgow Argyle St 2017-12-02 6:30pm

Overlord Jebus

• 1 month later...

This will be my first book signing! I am coming from Norway, and I have no idea what to say to Brandon! (or how to say what  I potentially could say)

I sort of want to tell him that I was depressed and for the first time suicidal last year and that I could not find anything other to pull me through that than the fact that I had hang on in order to read Oathbringer. But I want to say that in a funny way because I dont really want to be gloomy, you know? Its like tragic but comic because its funny how loving a story can be enough to make you want to hang on after all?

*runs around in circles with hands in the air*

Just in case anyone gets confused by the top post, attendees were emailed to say that the venue has been changed (due to popular demand) to:

Boyd Orr Lecture Theatre 1, 175 University Avenue, Glasgow, G12 8PW.

I will be there and may try and record if I am early enough.

@mnordgard I'm impressed that you're coming over from Norway for this! and (Oathbringer Spoilers)

Spoiler

I would think that with how much emphasis is placed on mental health in Oathbringer, Brandon recognises that it is a serious issue and would only be happy that he has in some way helped you.

Feel free to come say hi - I am a small bald man with a beard.
Edited by powerfulmoss
spoiler

4 hours ago, powerfulmoss said:

@mnordgard I'm impressed that you're coming over from Norway for this! 

Hehe, I was actually going to Birmingham (on saturday) to meet a guild friend, and today I saw Brandon had tweeted about leaving some signed copies in Birmingham and I was going to rip my hair off because I was going to be too late to snatch one up. Then I got curious about what he was doing there, and double-wanted to rip my hair off when I saw there was an event in Birmingham on wednesday.

And then I just kind of asked my friend if he would be up for driving me all the way to Glasgow if I paid for the gas and the hotel and he agreed. 

So its all utterly random and very exciting!  :lol:

I will do my best to say hi to any and all small bald bearded men in attendance. :) 

13 hours ago, mnordgard said:

I sort of want to tell him that I was depressed and for the first time suicidal last year and that I could not find anything other to pull me through that than the fact that I had hang on in order to read Oathbringer. But I want to say that in a funny way because I dont really want to be gloomy, you know? Its like tragic but comic because its funny how loving a story can be enough to make you want to hang on after all?

So, as an Arcanist, I've listened to a fair bit of people talk to and with Brandon, and people diagnosed with depression are (unsurprisingly) eager to share their stories with him (usually) because of Kaladin. Regardless of how you spin off your story, I think the one thing I can guarantee you is that Brandon will be genuinely honored to learn about the impact his work has made to your life. Deeply personal stories like this are one of the rare times I feel we get the real Brandon - not that he is playing a role, but anyone who sits while hundreds of people line up to meet him goes into a bit of a robot mode. 

So, ignoring your request, I'd say speak from the heart. If you find the situation funny, smile and laugh as you are telling him about it. But if you want to give it a funny twist just for him... I don't know, it's your story, you do what you want with it, but from one stranger to another, I'd recommend you be honest with both Brandon and yourself. It's probably a good bonding experience, and one many people don't get.

@Argent Thank you so much for the encouragement.  <3 I will say what I want to say, then. I do find it kind of funny (in a tender sad way?), so it is genuine. Making fun of situations is sort of my coping mechanism,  and it is genuine,  but also maybe a shallow way to process some things.

In any case, Oathbringer blew my mind, and I am incredibly grateful for it. 

• 6 months later...
23 hours ago, Wind_Breaker said:

I feel like slapping myself for totally missing this

Has anyone ever heard of any hints that Brandon might go on another trip to Europe??

He usually goes to Europe at least once a year. He mentioned possibly visiting Poland in 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if his Skyward tour takes him to England too, I imagine it's an easy place for him to go to.

23 hours ago, Argent said:

He usually goes to Europe at least once a year. He mentioned possibly visiting Poland in 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if his Skyward tour takes him to England too, I imagine it's an easy place for him to go to.

That is awesome!!

Can you tell me where you got that info from??

Poland would be great for me, too! :)