UK Oathbringer Tour - Newcastle Centre for the Literary Arts 2017-12-01 6:30pm

Overlord Jebus

UK Tour dates have been posted! 

Event details are here:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/brandon-sanderson-oathbringer-tickets-38902305844

Address is:

Curtis Auditorium

Herschel Building

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE1 7RY

Date/Time

Friday 1st December 18:30 - 20:30

EDIT: Arcanum post is up:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/260-oathbringer-newcastle-signing/

• 1 month later...

So, I've delayed posting here for a while now, mainly because I didn't want to say I was coming only for something to come up and prevent me. But since that is now highly unlikely, I should definitely be there. And I anticipate that this week is going to be torture waiting for it. If anyone is interested in saying hi, I should be the tall idiot with a beard and long hair, wearing mostly black with a red Lightweaver pin.

@Bort, I'm very much looking forward to hearing what you ask Brandon this time: I still very vividly remember his reaction to your Returned horse question, and I'm pretty sure that it's the best reaction that I have ever seen or heard from him.

Now, some questions for the Arcanists (e.g. @Ookla the Indefatigable) since I will be recording the audio for this event, as per usual. I'm still a little unfamiliar with the Arcanum, so how do I go about uploading the audio there? Also, is there any restriction on the file type that I can upload (e.g. could I upload a WAV file, or is that too massive)?

And finally, I figured that I might post my question list this time (so @Argent, if you want to complain that my questions are "rookie" again, you can do so before the event instead of afterwards :ph34r:). Despite being numbered, these questions are actually unordered, some of them are RAFO bait, some are intentionally a bit silly, and I don't expect to be able to ask most of them, but I figured that it's better to have too many than too few.

Spoilers for all Cosmere works including Oathbringer.

Spoiler
  1. Have you ever considered releasing the rules for any of your in-world games (e.g. Tarachin)?

2. In Oathbringer, Kaladin sees a painting from the Court of Gods which, it is claimed, shows something different to every person who sees it. However, as I understand it, the Returned only see things in the paintings because of their Divine Breath, there isn't anything intrinsically magical about the paintings themselves; what then is going on with this painting?

3. It has been established that Roshar does not have plate tectonics, how then did its mountain ranges form?

4. What does Nazh's tattoo depict?

5. Could a larkin suck out an Awakener's breath?

6. If an Awakener were born deaf, could they Command using sign language?

7. If a kandra were to attempt to infiltrate the Dakhor monastery by impersonating one of the monks, would the monk's bones enhance the kandra as they do the monks?

8. We know that Investiture in the Physical Realm can take the form of one of the three classical states of matter. Would it be possible for it to instead take the form of an exotic state of matter such as a plasma or a Bose-Einstein condensate?

9. If a Nalthian were to have a child with a non-Nalthian, would that child be born with a Breath?

10. Is it a coincidence that Aon Opa resembles an eye?

11. How many letters are there in the modern Aonic alphabet (not the Aons), and how many of them are vowels?

12. If a gemstone infused with Stormlight were left inside a bendalloy or cadmium bubble, would the gemstone appear to go dun faster or slower respectively to the outside observer?

13. Could an Awakener of the fifth Heightening who knew what they were doing spend 2000 Breath to heal someone, like a Returned can do with their Divine Breath?

14. In Words of Radiance, Syl says that the Honourblade requires dangerous levels of Investiture in order to use. Is she referring to the possibility of savantism here?

15. According to Derethi doctrine, does having a cracked soul make one evil?

16. Why do the stars of the Taldain system as depicted in the system's map in Arcanum Unbounded have only 14 points of light, when every other star depicted in these maps each have 16 points (or grouping of points)?

17. Is there any guide on how to pronounce Thaylen names?

18. If a mistwraith were to travel to Roshar, would they be able to bond a spren to achieve sapience?

19. Regarding the Cognitive Realm: are the terms "expanse" and "subastral" synonyms?

20. In Stormlight, we see that Taln is reciting some kind of mantra. Is this related in any way to the mantra of the Hoed of Elantris?

21. In Mistborn, what was it that concerned Kelsier about OreSeur potentially encountering a Steel Inquisitor?

22. Was Miles' Resonance as a Twinborn his inability to feel pain?

23. One of the effects of Copperclouds is that they protect the Allomancer generating them from being affected by emotional Allomancy. Do they also provide the same protection for other people in the Coppercloud?

24. Is Khriss correct in her classification of the stars in the Taldain system as a white dwarf and a blue-white supergiant?

25. We know that if something is Invested then it resists the effects of other Investiture, hence why it is often harder to affect a person with magic than it is something else. How much harder than affecting a regular person would it be to affect a Returned with no Breath other than their Divine Breath, in both the instances when they are hiding their Divine Breath, and when they are not?

26. Nightblood has been confirmed to have been an attempt to recreate Rosharan Shardblades by means of Awakening. Has a similar attempt been made to recreate Shardplate?

27. Was the transformation into Hoed worse for existing Elantrians than for those who became Hoed when the Shaod came upon them following the Reod?

28. Did all of the surviving Hoed recover following the restoration of Elantris?

29. If you were to use Haemalurgy on a world other than Scadrial, would Ruin/Harmony know about it?

30. Are there precisely 256 Haemalurgic bind points in the human body?

31. Do a person's Haemalurgic bind points have any significance outside of the domain of Haemalurgy?

32. Could a Forger heal the damage to the soul suffered by a victim of Haemalurgy?

33. What caused the coastline of Arelon to form so unnaturally straight?

34. When a person's shadow is cast in the "wrong direction", along which dimensional axis is it being cast?

35. Was Bavadin originally a dragon?

36. Which is more dangerous: a nightmaw or a whitespine?

37. Regarding the Cognitive Realm: does the dimensional axis running orthogonal to the "ground" of Shadesmar run coincident to any of the dimensional axes of the Physical Realm?

19 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

Now, some questions for the Arcanists since I will be recording the audio for this event, as per usual. I'm still a little unfamiliar with the Arcanum, so how do I go about uploading the audio there? Also, is there any restriction on the file type that I can upload (e.g. could I upload a WAV file, or is that too massive)?

We have .WAVs uploaded into Arcanum already. I think there's a 500mb limit, but we can work around that if need be. I'd recommend splitting the Express Line (if he does one) and the regular line into separate files, if you can, by stopping and restarting your recorder. The general Q&A group session would be another good thing to grab. I wouldn't worry too much about the Skyward reading or his lecture, since we've got those pretty well captured, although you never know when he's gonna slip some neat factoid in there.

An event will appear in Arcanum the day of the event (or maybe the day after). When you are on the event page, you will see a button that says "Upload Sources."  You can just click that button and drag-and-drop your file on the next screen, and then the Arcanists will get to work on it.

3 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

It has been established that Roshar does not have plate tectonics, how then did its mountain ranges form?

The continent itself was formed by Adonalsium, presumably with mountains. Crem build-up has also likely played a role. There is no great secret here.

17 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

And finally, I figured that I might post my question list this time (so @Argent, if you want to complain that my questions are "rookie" again, you can do so before the event instead of afterwards :ph34r:). Despite being numbered, these questions are actually unordered, some of them are RAFO bait, some are intentionally a bit silly, and I don't expect to be able to ask most of them, but I figured that it's better to have too many than too few.

Blast, I should've checked this yesterday! *grumblegrumble* timezones...

Spoiler

In Oathbringer, Kaladin sees a painting from the Court of Gods which, it is claimed, shows something different to every person who sees it. However, as I understand it, the Returned only see things in the paintings because of their Divine Breath, there isn't anything intrinsically magical about the paintings themselves; what then is going on with this painting?

I like this. I suspect the answer will have something to do with Kaladin's Nahel bond, but it's a good question.

We know that Investiture in the Physical Realm can take the form of one of the three classical states of matter. Would it be possible for it to instead take the form of an exotic state of matter such as a plasma or a Bose-Einstein condensate?

I don't know if this has become public knowledge yet, but Brandon has referred to the Dor as plasma-like. But that's also not in the Physical Realm, so... But that's between us, don't tell the other Arcanists :P

One of the effects of Copperclouds is that they protect the Allomancer generating them from being affected by emotional Allomancy. Do they also provide the same protection for other people in the Coppercloud?

I believe we have a confirmation that this is the case.

Was Bavadin originally a dragon?

Been asked, been RAFO'd.

Overall, good questions. See if you can stick around after the event and harass Brandon for more answers, I am personally curious about the answers to many of these :)

23 hours ago, WeiryWriter said:

The continent itself was formed by Adonalsium, presumably with mountains. Crem build-up has also likely played a role. There is no great secret here.

Well, I'll grant you that this makes sense, and I can't actually think of an alternative hypothesis. Also, there's certainly precedent for this sort of thing since Ruin & Preservation must have done the same on Scadrial: the planet was created far too recently for mountains there to have formed naturally. But at the same time, Brandon's said before that Roshar is a supercontinent specifically because of the lack of tectonics, it feels weird that that would demand a natural explanation, but this can be handwaved away with "Adonalsium did it".

Regardless, I'll drop the question to the end of the list. Thanks for the feedback.

Spoiler
10 hours ago, Argent said:

I like this. I suspect the answer will have something to do with Kaladin's Nahel bond, but it's a good question.

This could well have something to do with the Nahel bond, but the spren saying that everyone supposedly sees something different makes me suspect otherwise. I'm actually thinking that it might have something to do with the painting being in Shadesmar, i.e. closer to the Spiritual Realm than the Physical. Either way though, it doesn't explain why Kaladin doesn't see anything in any of the other pieces of art in the shop, maybe something to do with it being abstract? This was also the case for "The Battle of Twilight Falls" painting that Lightsong saw, after all.

I don't know if this has become public knowledge yet, but Brandon has referred to the Dor as plasma-like. But that's also not in the Physical Realm, so... But that's between us, don't tell the other Arcanists :P

Er... my lips are sealed.

This is incredible, no wonder Sel is isolated! If you were to go to Shadesmar there, it'd be like jumping into the storming sun! Just how is anyone surviving this!? :o

I may have to rethink this question now, though. When I was coming up with it I was actually thinking about whether the supergiant star that's Investing Taldain actually contains physical Investiture. Instead, it could end up at the Dor.

I believe we have a confirmation that this is the case.

We have, how did I miss that? I'll cross this one off of the list then, thanks.

Been asked, been RAFO'd.

I'm actually not surprised that this has already been RAFO'd, when I mentioned that some of the questions were RAFO bait, this one was top of that list. I guess this makes my Dakhor/kandra question my new main RAFO bait question instead.

Overall, good questions. See if you can stick around after the event and harass Brandon for more answers, I am personally curious about the answers to many of these :)

So, I'm definitely staying to the end of the signing, don't worry about that. I always try to do this whenever possible and it's worked well for me in the past, I'm usually the only one who does this so I get a little more time to ask him questions while he signs the shops stock. Also, on one occasion, I think the store's staff took pity on me since I was right at the back of the queue, and they ended up giving me the event's promotional poster which I got signed (and then spent £140 getting it framed). :D

16 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

So, I'm definitely staying to the end of the signing, don't worry about that. I always try to do this whenever possible and it's worked well for me in the past, I'm usually the only one who does this so I get a little more time to ask him questions while he signs the shops stock. Also, on one occasion, I think the store's staff took pity on me since I was right at the back of the queue, and they ended up giving me the event's promotional poster which I got signed (and then spent £140 getting it framed). :D

100% worth.

We have, how did I miss that? I'll cross this one off of the list then, thanks.

I think this was discussed in the original trilogy at some point.  I think when Kelsier was training Vin, he explained that a cloud would hide your Allomancy, but only protect the smoker from emotional allomancy.  I think.

I do remember it being discussed in the book though.

45 minutes ago, Stark said:

I think this was discussed in the original trilogy at some point.  I think when Kelsier was training Vin, he explained that a cloud would hide your Allomancy, but only protect the smoker from emotional allomancy.  I think.

I do remember it being discussed in the book though.

You basically remember correctly, however, I believe that it is only ever very strongly implied that copper only protects the one burning it. It is also implied to be that way in the Ars Arcana for The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension, The Hero of Ages, Shadows of Self, and The Bands of Mourning. This would be good enough evidence for me, but for the fact that The Alloy of Law's Ars Arcanum entry for Allomantic Copper reads thus:

Coppercloud Mistings (also known as Smokers) burn copper to create an invisible cloud around themselves, which hides nearby Allomancers from being detected by a Seeker and which shields nearby individuals from the effects of emotional Allomancy.

This apparent contradiction has been irking me for a while, hence why I included the question.

I'm sorry to disappoint, but my question for Brandon probably won't receive quite the same reaction this time. It is two-pronged.

1. How cosmere-aware is Steris? Reason: She has done a number of things that strike me as odd, and is one of the few people on Scadrial who talks about the cosmere that isn't a Kandra.

2. How much fun was she to write? Reason: She starts off in Alloy of Law as quite a flat character, but by Bands of Mourning, she is hilarious.

My signing question for Brandon is about Shardplate, just like my question in Words of Radiance. That one got a compliment out of him - I had teased free another secret :)

Still, if you hear someone asking those questions, feel free to come and say hi.

Also, do you think we should try to arrange for everyone to start chanting something at Brandon? I'm thinking (Oathbringer Spoiler)

"No mating!"

Edit: I remember seeing somewhere, someone was going to be selling 17th Shard / Brandon Sanderson pins at one of these events. Do we know if the Newcastle event will have any available?

Edit 2: See you tomorrow :D

Edited by Bort

So, I've now made it into town and am just having a coffee before heading to the venue. 

Hopefully I will manage to get my act together for the event, because things I've been making a mess of things so far (presumably due to nerves). First I managed to miss my bus, so I arrived here half an hour later than I intended. Not a disaster really, since I planned to get here 2 and a half hours early, in case something like that happened, but it did mean standing for half an hour at the bus stop in the freezing cold, carrying 7kg worth of books, which wasn't pleasant. Then when I was on the bus I realised that I'd forgotten my Lightweaver pin, despite having put it out last night so that I wouldn't forget it.:angry:

Still, at least I haven't forgotten anything really important (I hope). I've remembered my ticket, my questions list, my books to be signed, my audio recorder, and my backup audio recorder (aka my phone). Now I'm starting to get really excited. 

Update:

The talk/reading/Q&A portion is now completed,  and I'm waiting at the back of the signing line. I think I got the audio okay, and I was able to leave my recorder on the signing table, so that's should be recording as I type this.

There wasn't anything of particularly major significance that I noticed in the Q&A, save for one thing:

Brandon recognised me! :D

Something that I found interesting though, Brandon mentioned that he's already written the Rithmatist 2... but it was bad and so he threw it away, came up with a new outline, and will write it again at some point.

It looks like the queue still has a long way to go yet (as expected), so I'll report back some point after it's finished.

Update 2:

I'm now on the bus back after the event. Some bad news I'm afraid, at some point during the signing my recorder died, and as I couldn't be monitoring it I wasn't on hand to switch to my backup recorder.  I have no idea how much audio I was able to get. :( I don't know how it happened, the batteries should have had more than enough charge, I fear that I might have to replace the device. :wacko:

@Bort, @Joe ST, and anyone else who was there, you can't rely on the audio, please post your questions as soon as possible while they're still fresh in your minds.

Anyway, as a result I can only give you paraphrases of my questions (I'm sorry). Also he initially only allowed me 3 questions, though he ultimately allowed me a 4th.

Spoiler

Q) In Oathbringer, Kaladin sees a painting from the Court of Gods which, it is claimed, shows something different to every person who sees it. However, as I understand it, the Returned only see things in the paintings because of their Divine Breath, there isn't anything intrinsically magical about the paintings themselves; what then is going on with this painting?

A) He was very evasive here, ultimately he only said that not everything that you see is in the painting.

Q) If an Awakener were born deaf, could they Command using sign language?

A) RAFO. He initially said yes, but then couldn't remember if he changed it or not, so changed it to RAFO.

Q) According to Derethi doctrine, does having a cracked soul make one evil?

A) They are not Cosmere aware enough to know about this, but if they were then probably yes. He also indicated that their perspective is skewed and we shouldn’t really trust what they think about it.

Q) If a gemstone infused with Stormlight were left inside a bendalloy or cadmium bubble, would the gemstone appear to go dun faster or slower respectively to the outside observer?

A) Yes it would.  Time is actually changing, the same thing would be observed if it were brought near to a singularity. 

Finally, for my personalisation in Oathbringer, I asked him to draw Nazh's tattoo. This confused him since he hadn't realised that Isaac had put that annotation in there, and he had to ask me what the tattoo was (to which I could only reply that it was embarrassing and give him the page number of the diagram so that he could see what it said for himself). He finally drew the following image, but warned that it's not necessarily canon. 

Signed_Oathbringer_cropped.thumb.jpg.f0e0d9d7af34265505f3329fa83956c5.jpg

I apparently can't upload this on mobile internet,  will edit this in when I get back home.

I still cant upload the image, apparently it's got nothing to do  with mobile internet after all. Once it's apparently uploaded, it instead pops up with a error message saying "There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200". @Chaos, do you have any idea what's going on here?

Apparently it was file size, it uploaded fine when I cropped it such that it was below 5MB.

Update 3:

It looks like I managed to get the first 40 minuets of the signing line recorded. My recorder picks up everything, so it's not the best quality (though the audio for the actual talk is very good). I've got them uploading to the Arcanum now.

Edited by BlackYeti

Thanks for the audio you could catch BlackYeti! Brandon at one point said that he'd said something cool at some point (as in I mentioned Arcanum to his publicist and he said he might have caught something good) so it's well worth it even if it did die part way through. 

We've got the transcription for your audio up in Arcanum, @BlackYeti (including your own paraphrased questions), you - and everyone else - can go check them out: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/260-oathbringer-newcastle-signing/

@Overlord Jebus, do you also want to update your opening post with the link?

@BlackYeti Ah, you were the guy down by the front then? I didn't get to ask a question although you may have heard me if you were close to the end of the line for the signing. 

I was the guy that exclaimed about three signings and two RAFOs.

The question I asked in Oathbringer was:

Do Geranid and Ashir have anything to do with the creation of new Shardplate?

The answer, of course, was RAFO.

16 minutes ago, Bort said:

@BlackYeti Ah, you were the guy down by the front then? I didn't get to ask a question although you may have heard me if you were close to the end of the line for the signing. 

I was the guy that exclaimed about three signings and two RAFOs.

The question I asked in Oathbringer was:

Do Geranid and Ashir have anything to do with the creation of new Shardplate?

The answer, of course, was RAFO.

Yes, that was me. :) When Brandon next comes back, we'll have to see if we can't work out a better system for us Sharders to meet up. My description of myself was woefully inadequate, clearly (not least because I described myself as being tall and the person I ended up sitting next to ended up being far taller than me).

I was actually the very last person in the signing line, but I didn't overhear you. The signing room was very good at keeping the sound in, unfortunately.

A shame about the RAFO (though on the bright side, we don't need to worry about it being paraphrased). Let's hope he comes back to do a tour for The Lost Metal, and answers all of our questions then. :lol: