UK Oathbringer Tour - Forbidden Planet’s London Megastore 2017-11-28

Overlord Jebus

UK Tour dates have been posted! 

I have booked this day off work so I will definitely be there for this one.

Event details are here:

https://forbiddenplanet.com/events/2017/11/28/brandon-sanderson-signing-oathbringer/

Address is:

179 Shaftesbury Ave

London

WC2H 8JR

Date/Time

Tuesday 28th November, 6pm-7pm (Store closes at 7pm)

I'm looking forward to my first Brandon signing! Can't wait to meet you guys!

Edit: Great event everyone! Arcanum link:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/256-oathbringer-london-signing/

5 hours ago, Mistbornwithakitty said:

I am so excited for this.  It's going to be my first trip on my own and for such an awesome reason!!  It's not ticketed right?

This one seems to be free! No tickets needed!

4 hours ago, Lemonelon said:

Squeee!!! My first signing of an author EVER!! So excited for this!! Book the day off work :rolleyes: 

There is no way I'm going to miss the chance to say hi to such an inspirational person. He is the reason I'm writing! 

My first signing too! I'm so excited!

3 hours ago, Gavin-son-son-Odegard said:

This'll be my first time going to a signing. I'm so excited! Any pointers on what I should do and how to prepare? cause I have zero experience with this and have no clue what to do.

My first signing too! I'm going to prepare by making sure I have a solid list of questions before I go, gonna pack my bag with as many of my Cosmere books as I can and I'll try and turn up like an hour or two before. 

I also plan on recording this event so going to make sure my phone has enough space for 1hr+ of audio recording!

17 hours ago, Overlord Jebus said:

My first signing too! I'm going to prepare by making sure I have a solid list of questions before I go, gonna pack my bag with as many of my Cosmere books as I can and I'll try and turn up like an hour or two before. 

I also plan on recording this event so going to make sure my phone has enough space for 1hr+ of audio recording!

Thanks this is actually really helpful. I don't reckon we'd have time for more than one question to ask him. 

20 hours ago, Overlord Jebus said:

gonna pack my bag with as many of my Cosmere books as I can

Just as an fyi, in most signings you are limited to getting three (3) books signed/personalized with one trip through the line. If you want to get more than three (3) books signed then you will need to go to the back of the line after your first trip and do it again.

On 10/22/2017 at 9:49 AM, Gavin-son-son-Odegard said:

Any pointers on what I should do and how to prepare?

Some recommendations: 
1) Take a deep breath before meeting Brandon. He is super nice and there is no need to be overly nervous/shy. 
2) Prepare a couple of questions ahead of time (if you want to ask him anything that is)
  2a) It doesn't hurt to post your questions here in the forums before the signing - there are a TON of common questions that have been asked before. 
  2b) If you ask a repeat question, don't worry. It is your question and your interest and, sometimes, it is nice to hear the answer directly from Brandon instead of reading it on the forum.
3) If you can, buy something from the hosting location. They go to a lot of trouble to put on these events and Brandon is very pro-helping-out-the-store. So, if you have the means, purchase a book while you are there; it doesn't even have to be Brandon's book haha

That's all I can think of off-hand. Hope you have fun! 

3 hours ago, Gavin-son-son-Odegard said:

Thanks this is actually really helpful. I don't reckon we'd have time for more than one question to ask him. 

Actually, depending on the subject, context and length of the questions; as well on Brandon's answers and the length of the line, you can usually ask around 3-5.

-If you're asking a Realmatic interaction/how-would-said-magic-work-if-blahblah-and-blahblah-were-present/used and so on type question, it mainly depends on how technical you're getting, which could eat into your time.

-Lore-centric questions tend to near RAFO - Read And Find Out - territory (due to spoilers) but it depends on how far into the past or future you're veering toward and what exactly it is you wish to know, at least where the Cosmere is concerned. Most current events aren't too off-limits but you'll have to figure that out yourself.

-General writing/process/inspiration questions are encouraged as he doesn't usually get a huge amount of these, at least when compared to the other types of questions :P

Also, if you have questions already but aren't sure if it's the right wording, or if you're stuck for questions, feel free to ask any of us for some help or ideas and we'd be happy to help, especially if the wording is an issue as, prior warning, if you leave Brandon a lot of wiggle room he may answer your question, but just not how you wish he would. (the key trick here is to leave just a little bit of wiggle room, especially if you feel it may be a little too RAFO-y, so try to be just vague enough without being too specific :P)

Hope this helps any of you folks out and will happily see you there, probably hugging my copy of Oathbringer like Gollum!:ph34r::lol:

Hey all, 

It will also be my first signing and I want to ask a question about the interaction of magic systems across the cosmere - so would love your help wording it/letting me know if it has been asked before. 

Essentially I'm interested in the used of Hemalurgy on Roshar. We know inquisitors can have 9-11 spikes (I believe) and Hemalurgy is of Ruin, the only other Shard, apart from Odium that seems that have directly try to kill/splinter another Shard. 

Given there are 10 surges in surgebinding, and 10 is an important number on Roshar, it might well be that there are 10 voidbinding surges. We also know that Honor was pushing Dalinar towards forcing Odium to chose a champion. 

So my question I guess is made up of a few parts. Firstly will we see hemalurgy on Roshar, secondly could either a radiant/voidbringer hold all the surges through spikes, thirdly would Odium be able to use hemalurgy to form a direct connection to someone like ruin, and fourthly, if so, could these be viable champions for each side? 

Thoughts/is it a dumb question? 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:19 PM, CaptainRyan said:

Just as an fyi, in most signings you are limited to getting three (3) books signed/personalized with one trip through the line. If you want to get more than three (3) books signed then you will need to go to the back of the line after your first trip and do it again.

Some recommendations: 
1) Take a deep breath before meeting Brandon. He is super nice and there is no need to be overly nervous/shy. 
2) Prepare a couple of questions ahead of time (if you want to ask him anything that is)
  2a) It doesn't hurt to post your questions here in the forums before the signing - there are a TON of common questions that have been asked before. 
  2b) If you ask a repeat question, don't worry. It is your question and your interest and, sometimes, it is nice to hear the answer directly from Brandon instead of reading it on the forum.
3) If you can, buy something from the hosting location. They go to a lot of trouble to put on these events and Brandon is very pro-helping-out-the-store. So, if you have the means, purchase a book while you are there; it doesn't even have to be Brandon's book haha

That's all I can think of off-hand. Hope you have fun! 

22 hours ago, ParadoxicalZen said:

Actually, depending on the subject, context and length of the questions; as well on Brandon's answers and the length of the line, you can usually ask around 3-5.

-If you're asking a Realmatic interaction/how-would-said-magic-work-if-blahblah-and-blahblah-were-present/used and so on type question, it mainly depends on how technical you're getting, which could eat into your time.

-Lore-centric questions tend to near RAFO - Read And Find Out - territory (due to spoilers) but it depends on how far into the past or future you're veering toward and what exactly it is you wish to know, at least where the Cosmere is concerned. Most current events aren't too off-limits but you'll have to figure that out yourself.

-General writing/process/inspiration questions are encouraged as he doesn't usually get a huge amount of these, at least when compared to the other types of questions :P

Also, if you have questions already but aren't sure if it's the right wording, or if you're stuck for questions, feel free to ask any of us for some help or ideas and we'd be happy to help, especially if the wording is an issue as, prior warning, if you leave Brandon a lot of wiggle room he may answer your question, but just not how you wish he would. (the key trick here is to leave just a little bit of wiggle room, especially if you feel it may be a little too RAFO-y, so try to be just vague enough without being too specific :P)

Hope this helps any of you folks out and will happily see you there, probably hugging my copy of Oathbringer like Gollum!:ph34r::lol:

Oh good!  Thank you for all the info.  It's eased some of the uncertainty I had! Some of these things I didn't even think about. ^_^ 

On 10/24/2017 at 6:19 PM, kalamitous_emoashions said:

Hey all, 

It will also be my first signing and I want to ask a question about the interaction of magic systems across the cosmere - so would love your help wording it/letting me know if it has been asked before. 

Essentially I'm interested in the used of Hemalurgy on Roshar. We know inquisitors can have 9-11 spikes (I believe) and Hemalurgy is of Ruin, the only other Shard, apart from Odium that seems that have directly try to kill/splinter another Shard. 

Given there are 10 surges in surgebinding, and 10 is an important number on Roshar, it might well be that there are 10 voidbinding surges. We also know that Honor was pushing Dalinar towards forcing Odium to chose a champion. 

So my question I guess is made up of a few parts. Firstly will we see hemalurgy on Roshar, secondly could either a radiant/voidbringer hold all the surges through spikes, thirdly would Odium be able to use hemalurgy to form a direct connection to someone like ruin, and fourthly, if so, could these be viable champions for each side? 

Thoughts/is it a dumb question? 

First question; I don't think this has been asked before so go for it!

The second one may be a little trickier as the only way we've seen anyone wield the surges is through a Spren bond or an Honourblade, so perhaps ask if there's a way to wield/use the Surges without the use of a blade or bond, and if so, could it be spiked away

I cannot really answer this one as there is still too much about Haemalurgy we don't know. I would say Odium would be able to provide the Intent for Haemalurgy (not certain of), as well as control a spiked Rosharan (or someone with a lot of Connections to Odium)

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Mistbornwithakitty said:

@Gavin-son-son-Odegard--Sounds like it to me.  I've never personally been to a Forbidden Planet signing, but I have been to the store and asked about them.  They say to just come and get in line.  :)  

Thanks @Mistbornwithakitty, that's good to know :) . I'm super excited :D

I am coming ... from Hungary. Despite I live in Canada. But temporarily I am in Hungary and I wanted to go to the signing two years ago in Portland but it's easier to go to London this time :)

I hope they won't run out of Oathbringers :) I will be there ... 4:30pm I guess?

Anyone knows where to get a stick t-shirt real quick? :D

Edited by chx