Lerasium Theory Discussion

The Allomantic Metalhead

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD! DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'VE READ FINISHED THE MISTBORN 1ST AGE TRILOGY

Well, let's start off with what we know about Lerasium:

Lerasium is the metal that Eland burned and gained mistborn powers with after getting gutted at the climax of the Well of Ascension, which allowed him to burn pewter and survive the otherwise fatal wound. Lerasium is the god metal of the shard of Preservation, and is named after Preservation's original (post-shattering) holder, Leras.

The coppermind wiki states that if you alloy it with another allomantic metal, it makes people who burn the metal into mistings of the metal it is alloyed with, though how they learned this I have yet to determine.

Due to being a pure metal instead of an alloy, it is a pulling metal.

Now that we've established what we know about Lerasium, it's theory time:

First, let's ask some questions:

1.  Does Lerasium have an allomantic alloy pairing, or does the misting-making alloy property eliminate a need for an allomantic pushing/pulling pairing?
  2.  If so, what would said alloy do?
  3. What are Lerasium's Feruchemical/Hemalurgic properties?
  4. Is there still Lerasium out there in the 2nd age, waiting to be discovered?

Well, personally, here are my theories as relating to the questions:

For the first question, I think that the answer is most definitely yes. It does have a pushing/pulling pairing, weird other alloys or no weird other alloys.

For the second question, I think it is very probable (unfortunately), that its paired alloy removes the powers of allomancers that burn it (think of it like permanent aluminum). However it could be one of those weird pairings (like tin/pewter) that does something completely different. Like grant feruchemical abilities, for example (that would be really, really cool).

As for the third question, I'm stumped. I'm not even going to try to guess until I've thought this over a whole lot more. I'll probably just have to RAFO.

As for the fourth, this is a tossup. On one hand, there were boatloads of Atium (Ruin's god metal), but on the other hand, Preservation stole Ruin's body (or something similar), but Preservation's body was never stolen (or anything similar). HOWEVER, Preservation spent most of his time barely holding together, not to mention dying and being inherited by a keeper who was less than Ideal (I'm not talking about Vin. Listen to Mistborn: Secret History if you want to know who.) and could barely hold together. I personally think it's very likely, though not nearly as likely as my Lerasium Alloy theory.

Feel free to discuss and thell me what you guys think!

12 hours ago, The Allomantic Metalhead said:
  1.  Does Lerasium have an allomantic alloy pairing, or does the misting-making alloy property eliminate a need for an allomantic pushing/pulling pairing?

The Lerasium (and the Atium) has not a single alloy pairing and instead (as you said) it could be alloyed with all the 16 metals (and this is true also for Atium)

1.  If so, what would said alloy do?

As before the 16 Lerasium's alloys turn the burner into Misting and we know this by WoB. No one in-world (except Harmony) knows it

1. What are Lerasium's Feruchemical/Hemalurgic properties?

There are some wild speculations but we don't know.

1. Is there still Lerasium out there in the 2nd age, waiting to be discovered?

Again we don't know. Probably originally there were 16 Bead of Lerasium and of this 16 at least 10 are be used/taken away of the planet. We don't know what happened to the remaining beads. Anyway Harmony could produce Lerasium at will if he want so everything is possible.

Edited by Yata

On 10/19/2017 at 3:22 AM, Yata said:

Again we don't know. Probably originally there were 16 Bead of Lerasium and of this 16 at least 10 are be used/taken away of the planet. We don't know what happened to the remaining beads. Anyway Harmony could produce Lerasium at will if he want so everything is possible.

Random question. I haven't read the books in a while so this might be a dumb question but why is it that Atium is produced "naturally" on Scadrial but Lerasium is not? 

Edited by shadowwisp

10 minutes ago, shadowwisp said:

Random question. I haven't read the books in a while so this might be a dumb question but why is it that Atium is produced "naturally" on Scadrial but Lerasium is not? 

The Atium wasn't produced naturally, Preservation built the Pits ad release Valve of Ruin's Power in solid form (Atium).

As far as we know, there was no similar mechanism for the Lerasium.

4 minutes ago, Gigalemesh said:

It's worth noting that Lerasium does have an allomantic power, other than turning one into a mistborn, though we don't know what it is.

Rewrite your Spiritweb turning your Connection to Preservation stronger is the Lerasium's Allomantic effect.

If a Mistborn burned a Lerasium's bead. He Will simply become stronger ad Mistborn

7 minutes ago, Yata said:

The Atium wasn't produced naturally, Preservation built the Pits ad release Valve of Ruin's Power in solid form (Atium).

As far as we know, there was no similar mechanism for the Lerasium.

Rewrite your Spiritweb turning your Connection to Preservation stronger is the Lerasium's Allomantic effect.

If a Mistborn burned a Lerasium's bead. He Will simply become stronger ad Mistborn

Yes you would become stronger but that isn't the main effect. Quote from an annotation where Brandon is talking about how lerasium makes someone mistborn "As a tidbit, that was a side effect of what that bead of metal did. It wasn’t the main purpose of the bead, and if another Allomancer were to burn it, it would do something else." So that is specifically saying that making you mistborn isn't the main purpose. Not sure if you have a contradicting quote that you are basing your statement on?

Edited by Gigalemesh

• Chaos locked this topic