[OB] Vibrancy

retrorocket1

So i remember a while ago when people were talking about how gavilar told esonai that they could be vibrant again and how that might be a listener equivalency to radiancy. I think this is false.

I was reading way of kings and found this quote from syl on page 148 of the hardcover.

"You used to be vibrant, " syl said. "So many looked up to you, kalidin. Your squad of soldiers. The enemies you fought. The other slaves. Even some lighteyes"

I propose that vibrant isn't the listener equivalent to radiancy but instead the spren's word for radiancy.

p.s. I also am really wondering at enemies looking up to him, and lighteyes.

23 minutes ago, retrorocket1 said:

I propose that vibrant isn't the listener equivalent to radiancy but instead the spren's word for radiancy.

.....Or vibrant just means vibrant.

Maybe he is referring to the time when Listeners werent a half destroyed people living in a stone age.

8 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

.....Or vibrant just means vibrant.

Maybe he is referring to the time when Listeners werent a half destroyed people living in a stone age.

I mean it's pretty obvious he was talking about when the listeners weren't living in a stone age, but that doesn't mean he isn't using vibrant to refer to listener or radiant. Gavilar has been known to know more than he should be able to. It is completely possible he would know what spren call radiants. And when you conssider that syl called kalidin vibrant seems to imply that that is what they are called.

As for the importance of the word, considering how brandon sanderson writes i find it hard to believe he would refer to the usual magic users of this realm as radiant and than later use the word vibrant to refer to listeners, another magic user of this world. it makes sense that two words that both mean essentially the same thing both referring to magic users could possibly be interchanged, especially considering syl, a spren, calls a radiant to be "vibrant"

edit: though now that I write that I am wondering if it isn't the spren word for radiants but rather refers to the potential for radiancy since syl said kalidin used to be vibrant

Edited by retrorocket1

11 minutes ago, retrorocket1 said:

And when you conssider that syl called kalidin vibrant seems to imply that that is what they are called.

.....Nah I think she was using the standard meaning of the word and the context supports this.

Same for Gavilar.

Kaladins men didnt look up to him because he had magic.

wasn't really my point i included the whole quote mainly for the sense of completion, and of course she used the dictionary definition, how do you think names for things get started, it starts with a definition, say radiant in reference to the knights radiants glowing, then later the memory of what started the name fades and they are known as the knights radiant.

I am suggesting that the spren call the knights radiant vibrant, because they are/were vibrant, and it became the spren title for the knights radiant or maybe someone with radiant potential.

7 minutes ago, retrorocket1 said:

I am suggesting that the spren call the knights radiant vibrant, because they are/were vibrant, and it became the spren title for the knights radiant or maybe someone with radiant potential.

I know though I don't understand why.

What else has Syl called Kal? Gloomy? Brooding?

I propose that gloomy is the spren term for a Knight depleted of Stormlight and brooding is the spren term for a Knight in need of investiture.

With two equal options, in most situations the simplest one is right.

why in the world would the Spren have a unique way of referring to radiance that is a casually used word and never just happen to end up using in any context that can't be used for the regular meaning of vibrant.

VS: just using the word vibrant because it's an accurate discription.

On 10/17/2017 at 9:53 PM, Nymeros said:

I know though I don't understand why.

What else has Syl called Kal? Gloomy? Brooding?

I propose that gloomy is the spren term for a Knight depleted of Stormlight and brooding is the spren term for a Knight in need of investiture.

I laughed out loud at this.

But for seriously, this is an unnecessarily complex theory, so it's probably correct (super tongue in cheek here)

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Vibrancy
  • Chaos locked this topic