Animals on Roshar

So my question is whether or not the crustacean animals on roshar came from breeds of animals on Earth. Axehounds=Dogs, Chull=Cows, etc. And if this is the case does Shinovar have all the Earth animals? Some? Which? And does it have Rosharian ones as well? Crossbreeds? One thing that sparks this is Hoids talk of Earth/Yolen animals on Roshar to Shallan and Kaladin, and Shallans mention of turtles, which are not crustacean.

51 minutes ago, i’m in the details said:

So my question is whether or not the crustacean animals on roshar came from breeds of animals on Earth. Axehounds=Dogs, Chull=Cows, etc. And if this is the case does Shinovar have all the Earth animals? Some? Which? And does it have Rosharian ones as well? Crossbreeds? One thing that sparks this is Hoids talk of Earth/Yolen animals on Roshar to Shallan and Kaladin, and Shallans mention of turtles, which are not crustacean.

Santhids, at the very least, aren't based on anything from Earth

Interview: Oct 6th, 2015
Shadows of Self - Denver

Kogi

Anything you can tell us about santhids?

Brandon Sanderson

They’re one of a few Rosharan animals with a degree of sentience. It’s easier on Roshar for this to happen.

Kayla

Because of Cultivation?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Footnote

Also, Santhids aren’t based on anything in particular on Earth (sad marine biologist face)

Also, I'm not sure what you are actually asking here. If you could clarify, that could be quite helpful.

2 hours ago, i’m in the details said:

So my question is whether or not the crustacean animals on roshar came from breeds of animals on Earth. 

Could you clarify? If you're asking if Brandon Sanderson had real world creatures in mind when creating these beasts then yes. If you're asking if Rosharan creatures are literally evolved from  common creatures then I'm going with no.

13 hours ago, Nymeros said:

Could you clarify? If you're asking if Brandon Sanderson had real world creatures in mind when creating these beasts then yes. If you're asking if Rosharan creatures are literally evolved from  common creatures then I'm going with no.

I meant a literal evolution with the help of Cultivation, but barring that I guess I want to know where they came from, did they live along side the "normal" animals or..?

13 minutes ago, i’m in the details said:

I meant a literal evolution with the help of Cultivation, but barring that I guess I want to know where they came from, did they live along side the "normal" animals or..?

This is unlikely to be the case.

A prevailing theory is that the religious tale of being kicked from the Tranqueline Halls is rooted in truth and there is a subgroup on Roshar that isn't native to the planet. It's entirely probable that if this is the case they would have brought some useful animals from their world of origin.

We do know that Shinovar is home to horses, pigs, and "chickens" (meaning any feathered flying thing)

I make three statements here and I do not mean to imply that they are related to eachother lol

8 minutes ago, Wreith said:

This is unlikely to be the case.

A prevailing theory is that the religious tale of being kicked from the Tranqueline Halls is rooted in truth and there is a subgroup on Roshar that isn't native to the planet. It's entirely probable that if this is the case they would have brought some useful animals from their world of origin.

We do know that Shinovar is home to horses, pigs, and "chickens" (meaning any feathered flying thing)

I make three statements here and I do not mean to imply that they are related to eachother lol

What is Shinovar then? Is it the anomaly or is it the original? And for your not native to roshar claim as well as my evolution claim niether seem right due to the existence of the giant greatshells. Which don’t resemble Earth animals and clearly were not brought from Braize

2 minutes ago, i’m in the details said:

What is Shinovar then? Is it the anomaly or is it the original? And for your not native to roshar claim as well as my evolution claim niether seem right due to the existence of the giant greatshells. Which don’t resemble Earth animals and clearly were not brought from Braize

logically Shinovar would be the anomaly because the highstorms predate the arrival of the shards.

BRANDON SANDERSON

I’ll tell you this. The highstorms predate [the shattering of Adonalsium], and there was a lot of natural evolution on Roshar resulting in a lot of what we have there.

Which makes things very interesting because Shin is one of the languages derived from Dawnate, the language of the Dawn Chant.

I've been keeping a list of animals that seem to have come with the human refugees to Roshar:

Horses

Pigs

Chickens

Parrots (i'm only assuming confirmed birds)

Turtles

Goats

Rats

Minks

Any I missed?

I believe that Cultivation has created and sheltered Shinovar as a sanctuary for these exiled plants and animals. (probably from Ashyn)

I find it amazing that cats and dogs didn't come through, the parrots must have been exotic pets. The hardest to catch was the goats. In Edgedancer, Lift thinks about small, hairy, horned horse beasts. I assume these are goats. 

There is a wall carving of what's probably a lion in Urithiru, but I think that is a memory of the world before Roshar (probably Ashyn). 

I have an animal question on Roshar. What does a Reshi Tai Na look like? How is the head at the top. At first I pictured them as giant chulls, but a chulls head is near the ground. How does a Tai Na eat? Does it raise food to its mouth? Does it dip it's head? That would be dangerous for the people living up there. Is it a giant crab? Lobster? What does it look like. A giant hermit crab doesn't make sense with the geography of the island. 

Just now, thejopen27 said:

I have an animal question on Roshar. What does a Reshi Tai Na look like? How is the head at the top. At first I pictured them as giant chulls, but a chulls head is near the ground. How does a Tai Na eat? Does it raise food to its mouth? Does it dip it's head? That would be dangerous for the people living up there. Is it a giant crab? Lobster? What does it look like. A giant hermit crab doesn't make sense with the geography of the island. 

I’m under the impression they don’t have too eat. How could you possibly sustain multiple animals that size? As for look I pictured them as that Pokémon with a tree on its back.

3 minutes ago, i’m in the details said:

Sounds about right to me, I assumed these animals were from yolen. Why do you think ashyn?

Ashyn is a planet in the same system that has suffered a massive cataclysm, and the only people left there are living on upside-down floating cities. It also makes sense with the Tranquiline halls myth. Ahsyn would have been a more earth-like, less stormy aka more tranquil, place that a massive disaster forced humanity to mostly abandon with the survivors fleeing to floating cities or somehow to the other inhabitable planet in the system. 

3 hours ago, thejopen27 said:

Ashyn is a planet in the same system that has suffered a massive cataclysm, and the only people left there are living on upside-down floating cities. It also makes sense with the Tranquiline halls myth. Ahsyn would have been a more earth-like, less stormy aka more tranquil, place that a massive disaster forced humanity to mostly abandon with the survivors fleeing to floating cities or somehow to the other inhabitable planet in the system. 

Those peeps have super powers related to sickness tho. And also odium has taken over the “tranquil halls” so I would say it’s more likely to be braize. But yolen is still my guess. Due to a wob stating that Scandriel is one of two planets where life was actively created by shards. Unless roshar is the other. Thank you for your input!

13 hours ago, i’m in the details said:

True however that does not solve the issue of food source.

I'm sure they do eat wild Chulls out in the Natan hills like is speculated by Shallan at one point, but a giant apex predator makes more sense if it spend most of it's life cycle in the ocean. 

As for Ashyn, that's how it works now with the illness based magic, but who knows if that's how it always worked. Even if it was it doesn't preclude humanity on Roshar from moving from there. They don't have to be from Ashyn originally, just before they were on Roshar. Braize is too cold for life. Braize fits into the story much better as damnation. Especially since I would bet it is where the Heralds are "damned" to between Desolations. 

2 hours ago, thejopen27 said:

I'm sure they do eat wild Chulls out in the Natan hills like is speculated by Shallan at one point, but a giant apex predator makes more sense if it spend most of it's life cycle in the ocean. 

As for Ashyn, that's how it works now with the illness based magic, but who knows if that's how it always worked. Even if it was it doesn't preclude humanity on Roshar from moving from there. They don't have to be from Ashyn originally, just before they were on Roshar. Braize is too cold for life. Braize fits into the story much better as damnation. Especially since I would bet it is where the Heralds are "damned" to between Desolations. 

There’s a theory that damnation and the tranquil halls are one in the same. 

• Chaos locked this topic