[OB] The Unmade Extermination Squad

So, lets say that there is, hypothetically, an Unmade lurking in Urithiru. Let's say Shallan finds it. Then what are they going to do about it? It is a powerful, evil Odiumspren. Our main action hero, the go-to guy when it comes to fighting these kinds of things, is currently away road-tripping with pseudo-Voidbringers and wierd yellow spren. Our remaining Radiants are either not that great when it comes to combat (Shallan), untrained (Dalinar) or both (Renarin). Then we have Adolin, with plate and blade, our new Dustbringer, Malata, whose abilities, skills and allegiances we are uncertain about at this point, Taln, who is good at mumbling mantras, Mraize, who can potentially engage the Unmade with a chicken and a blowgun, and Sadeas corpse, which I guess can be thrown at the Unmade in times of great need.

My point is, do the people in Urithiru, even if they pool their skills and resources together, have the strenght to tackle an Unmade, if they find one?

Edited by Toaster Retribution

18 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

So, lets say that there is, hypothetically, an Unmade lurking in Urithiru. Let's say Shallan finds it. Then what are they going to do about it? It is a powerful, evil Odiumspren. Our main action hero, the go-to guy when it comes to fighting these kinds of thing, is currently away road-tripping with pseudo-Voidbringers and wierd spren. Our remaining Radiants are either not that great when it comes to combat (Shallan), untrained (Dalinar) or both (Renarin). Then we have Adolin, with plate and blade, our new Dustbringer, Malata, whose abilities and skills we are uncertain about at this point, Taln, who is good at mumbling mantras, Mraize, who can potentially engage the Unmade with a chicken and a blowgun, and Sadeas corpse, who I guess can be thrown at the Unmade. 

My point is, do the people in Urithiru, even if they pool their skills and resources together, have the strenght to tackle an Unmade, if they find one?

I don't think the Unmade can be physically fought.  I think they have to be bound, possibly by Navani and her artifabrians. 

Odd thought here. Do we have any idea where Szeth hid the dark stone? We know he visited U, we know he had a VERY odd gem stone that he hid (the one he got from gavilar). What if it contained an unmade? (One of the parshendi gods)?!

Humm, what if THAT is really what the ghost bloods want to find and they suspect it is what is causing the "darkness"?

9 minutes ago, CodeMnke said:

Odd thought here. Do we have any idea where Szeth hid the dark stone? We know he visited U, we know he had a VERY odd gem stone that he hid (the one he got from gavilar). What if it contained an unmade? (One of the parshendi gods)?!

Humm, what if THAT is really what the ghost bloods want to find and they suspect it is what is causing the "darkness"?

Last we know he hid it in Jar Keved before the Diagram acquired him.

Ah i didn't remembered where he hid it, any idea where that is in book. All i remember is him thinking he hid it in a safe place.

Found it - "He'd hidden that carefully in Jah Keved. He didn't know what it was but he didn't want to risk a master taking it from him"

That was quite a while ago though. He might have moved it, or it could be another one. Or of course something else entirely, was just a random though.

Edited by CodeMnke
Found quote

I'm worried that Mraize is misleading us. What if there's an Unmade in Urithiru because the Radiants trapped it there, in a gemstone? Shallan's "solution" might be to release it, and unleash a new horror upon the world.

Spoiler

It'll be WoA all over again.

I wonder if any Unmade have been killed before. It's possible that they have and Odium recreated them. Or maybe they self-regenerate after a long time? Are the Unmade weaker or stronger than they are in the past?

If it's not an Unmade, what is it? Something below an Unmade? Something more like Midnight Essence but a different type? Some other kind of "normal" Voidbringer? In which case, where did it come from? Did someone bring it to Urithiru or was it always there? I think a lot of us (me included) are assuming that it's Unmade because it seems ephemeral and more passive/reactive, which seems to fit the Unmade more, but maybe it's just good at hiding?

Whatever it is... can it killed conventionally? (ie with pure physical weapons) Can "normal" people kill it? If not, what is it weak to? Stormlight in general? Particular Surges?

Another question: why does it seem like Shallan is the only one on the protagonist side to have felt something odd? Nobody else has hinted at this AFAIK. Has it simply just not come up or is it very hard for others to notice? Why/how did Mraize notice it?

33 minutes ago, kari-no-sugata said:

Another question: why does it seem like Shallan is the only one on the protagonist side to have felt something odd? Nobody else has hinted at this AFAIK. Has it simply just not come up or is it very hard for others to notice? Why/how did Mraize notice it?

It wouldn't surprise me if Renarin senses it too. As for Dalinar... I'm not surprised that he fails to sense it, but I think that the Stormfather should. It might be that something special is required though, like connection to Cultivation.

As for Mraize... I guess it is the same answer as Mraize questions usually get. Because he's Mraize.

Anyone noticing the similarities between Mraize and Batman?

19 hours ago, grinachu said:

I don't think the Unmade can be physically fought.  I think they have to be bound, possibly by Navani and her artifabrians. 

They might not be able to be defeated by physical means, but they definitely have physical form and can therefore be physically fought since we know that Yelig-nar once broke into Nohadon's chancery and slaughtered all his scribes (WoK Chapter 60, Dalinar vision). 

21 hours ago, The Invested Beard said:

Who you gonna call?

gbLogo_noShadow.png

This made me think about how much fun it would be if Stormlight/Roshar were the next installment of LEGO Dimensions.  +1

Brandon Sanderson The Way of Kings The Stormlight Archive Words of Radiance Lego 

This picture came from a 2014 article on Tor.com

https://www.tor.com/2014/03/21/the-way-of-kings-as-interpreted-through-lego/

There are also some cool Lego ideas on Pinterest. I found all kinds of cool things that should probably be on this site with a Google image search for "sadeas lego" & "Stormlight lego." There are probably other searches that will turn up better stuff.

Chull Lego.png

Chasmfiend Lego.png

Axehound Lego.jpg

Santhid lego #2.jpg

Santhid Lego.jpg

Whitespine Lego.png

Edited by KidWayne
added pics and link

1 hour ago, dantlee said:

They might not be able to be defeated by physical means, but they definitely have physical form and can therefore be physically fought since we know that Yelig-nar once broke into Nohadon's chancery and slaughtered all his scribes (WoK Chapter 60, Dalinar vision). 

We don't know if that attack happened in the physical, it's possible the Unmade arrived and he did some stuff that result in the men's deaths. Or maybe he simply inhabitated some temp stuff (Thunderclast style) to do this

Anyway I belive the Shardblade could be able to interact with him and with a bit of workaround a gemstone could be placed to interact with the Unmade....The Artifabrian know stuffs on trapping Spren, probably they are unable to capture the Unmade, but their knowledge could be still useful

Edited by Yata

14 minutes ago, Yata said:

We don't know if that attack happened in the physical, it's possible the Unmade arrived and he did some stuff that result in the men's deaths. Or maybe he simply inhabitated some temp stuff (Thunderclast style) to do this

Anyway I belive the Shardblade could be able to interact with him and with a bit of workaround a gemstone could be placed to interact with the Unmade....The Artifabrian know stuffs on trapping Spren, probably they are unable to capture the Unmade, but their knowledge could be still useful

Disagree strongly, the way Nohadon phrases it makes it pretty clear that the attack happened in the physical realm. You'd have to stretch awful far to interpret this as an attack that occurred in the cognitive or spiritual realm. If it were Yelig-nar possessing a thunderclast or something he would've just said that a thunderclast broke into the chancery. 

"All of my wordsmen were slaughtered when Yelig-nar broke into the chancery." 

So yes, I think we can pretty definitively say that the unmade have some physical form, or at least a way to appear in the physical realm and actually touch/kill things. 

1 minute ago, dantlee said:

So yes, I think we can pretty definitively say that the unmade have some physical form, or at least a way to appear in the physical realm and actually touch/kill things.

And the Unmade are not all the same. 

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/56579-2016-11-03-librería-gigamesh-barcelona-spain/#comment-503072

He also signed my WoR and I asked him to write something about the Unmade:"Most of the Unmade are not what we would call sapient. But a few are different..."

We don't know how much they vary, so we have no way of knowing anything about what they are or aren't at this point. 

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

And the Unmade are not all the same. 

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/56579-2016-11-03-librería-gigamesh-barcelona-spain/#comment-503072

We don't know how much they vary, so we have no way of knowing anything about what they are or aren't at this point. 

Totally off topic but from that link.

He signed a copy of WoR (I think) and added a sticker for Oathbringer with a quote from that book (Oathbringer) he said it will make sense when we read that one.
"You cannot have my pain"

I bet we see Dalinar tell the Nightwatcher this. 

18 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

He signed a copy of WoR (I think) and added a sticker for Oathbringer with a quote from that book (Oathbringer) he said it will make sense when we read that one.
"You cannot have my pain"

I bet we see Dalinar tell the Nightwatcher this. 

Yeah, the painrial theory just ratcheted up quite a bit for me.

Dalinar tells Navani (who is wearing another Painrial, that I believe is conjoined to his), that she cannot have his pain, as having a complete understanding of consequences- we will find out- is critical to being a Bondsmith. She is trying to take away his pain. I remember Sanderson stating that he like Bondsmith's best, but he didn't think he could make it through the requirements to be one. This may have been the foreshadow.

Edited by 1stBondsmith
spelling

• Argent changed the title to [OB] The Unmade Extermination Squad
  • Chaos locked this topic