[OB] Mraize and his Bird

But we forgive these things, for missions undertaken. And before you object again, know that the task we require of you is one you’re already undertaking. Surely you have sensed the darkness in this place. The … wrongness.”

Sanderson, Brandon. Oathbringer: Book Three of the Stormlight Archive (p. 232). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

I'm also wondering if it has something to do with sensing the Unmade as he tasked Shallan with seeking out the "worngness". Maybe the ability to sense corrupted investiture? 

Good thought, @StormingTexan.

Regarding color, it turns out the descriptions in SotD are really sparse. Kokerlii is "colorful," Sak is solid black, and Mirris has "subdued white and green plumage."

In comparison, Mraize's chicken is "one of the stranger varieties, pure green and sleek, with a wicked beak." Not a match. 

5 hours ago, ccstat said:

Good thought, @StormingTexan.

Regarding color, it turns out the descriptions in SotD are really sparse. Kokerlii is "colorful," Sak is solid black, and Mirris has "subdued white and green plumage."

In comparison, Mraize's chicken is "one of the stranger varieties, pure green and sleek, with a wicked beak." Not a match. 

Colorful could include green, though. I don't know that I would rule out Kokerlii's power as an option (assuming color and effect are related). And Kokerlii had a sort of coppercloud-like effect, which seems like something Mraize would be interested in.

That's true, though in my mind "colorful" made me think "multicolored." We do know that the type of bird determines the effect, and that multiple bird species overlap (Kokerlii and Mirris both project "copperclouds"). So if we can match Mraize's chicken to one of the aviar in SotD then we should be able to identify its power; but if they don't match we can't assume the power is different from one we've seen.

8 hours ago, ccstat said:

That's true, though in my mind "colorful" made me think "multicolored." We do know that the type of bird determines the effect, and that multiple bird species overlap (Kokerlii and Mirris both project "copperclouds"). So if we can match Mraize's chicken to one of the aviar in SotD then we should be able to identify its power; but if they don't match we can't assume the power is different from one we've seen.

That's fair; colorful likely means multicolored. And I would agree with your last sentence as well. Different appearance doesn't automatically mean different powers.

• 4 weeks later...

JoyBlu [PENDING REVIEW]

So the color of the green chicken.  In Sixth of the Dusk, there's a green and white Aviar and there's a green and red <indistinguishable> plumes.  Is green important?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

I'll RAFO that.

@stonedshaman — calling attention to this thread for you. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 11:49 AM, Tarion said:

In fairness, "chicken" is what the Rosharans call all birds.

In fairness, Rosharans are fond of sweeping generalizations.  All insects are cremlings.  All birds are chickens.  All Azish are rule abiding.  No middle-aged or older person with a tight-butt is to be trusted.  A person's innate worth is determined by the colour of their eyes and the status of their parents.

• Chaos locked this topic