[OB] Mraize and his Bird

1 hour ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

Could a Copper also work to hide minds like the Aviar do? It protects from emotional allomancy. If so, it's not an unreasonable assumption that Iyatil could have used a coppercloud to protect them from predators and grab an Aviar. 

I don't have a WoB on this (not sure if there is one or not) but I would presume that a coppercloud would offer at least something similar by way of protection. As you said it protects against emotional allomancy, which is a mental interaction. And there does seem to be a great deal of flexibility in how the different magic systems (or subsystems, really, since it is all one magic system) interact, since many seem to work on similar underlying principles. 

1 hour ago, Blacksmithki said:

Oh okay, sorry, misunderstood you. Besides, with allomancy being genetic I'm not sure how she would be, being from southern scadrial

Spoiler

This depends on the timeline, but she could also have access to a medallion that has acopper

Bands of Mourning Spoilers

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

6 hours ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:
  Reveal hidden contents

This depends on the timeline, but she could also have access to a medallion that has acopper

Bands of Mourning Spoilers

I considerated this but seems that also After centuries, First of the Sun is still extremely Dangerous. If a that would be enough to protects from hostile lifeforms...the Islands Will be already conquered.

And as you said, I am unsure the timeline allows that (but probably Yes)

1 hour ago, IllNsickly said:

He wrote Hatchet, yeah?

I like your style, good Sir.

You're thinking of Gary Paulsen. This a fight club reference. But man that's a throwback. I haven't thought of those books since elementary school.

23 hours ago, Yata said:

I considerated this but seems that also After centuries, First of the Sun is still extremely Dangerous. If a that would be enough to protects from hostile lifeforms...the Islands Will be already conquered.

I think Sixth of the Dusk already shows that's not enough to protect them.

Spoiler

Sixth doesn't just rely on Kokerlii, or even his trapper training, but also on Sak's death visions. Even with an Aviar hiding cognitive markers, there are still dangers that can kill without sensing them, or that can overcome an Aviar's shielding such as Patji’s Finger.

21 minutes ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

You're thinking of Gary Paulsen. This a fight club reference. But man that's a throwback. I haven't thought of those books since elementary school.

Hide contents

Ah, I thought the survival in a hostile environment thing fit nicely, though.

I’m at the signing now. I’m sitting next to someone who was with Brandon earlier today. Brandon confirmed to him that Mraize has an Aviar. Mraize is not from first of the sun. There are clues in the book as to what the  Aviar’s power is. Aviars are very rare at this point in time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 11/13/2017 at 9:46 PM, JoyBlu said:

I’m at the signing now. I’m sitting next to someone who was with Brandon earlier today. Brandon confirmed to him that Mraize has an Aviar. Mraize is not from first of the sun. There are clues in the book as to what the  Aviar’s power is. Aviars are very rare at this point in time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great confirmation! I noticed that Mraize is the one carrying Ialai's chair into that big meeting, but he doesn't have appear to have the bird then.

On 11/13/2017 at 10:46 PM, JoyBlu said:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I ASKED ABOUT THE WRONG CHICKEN IN THE WRONG BOOK.83fa7afc4230715b33ee15793ed122eddf34acb03f69f59715fa02251ffa0d3c.jpg.3ea63f5f5f8d46767892ef601919931d.jpg

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

On 11/13/2017 at 8:46 PM, JoyBlu said:

I was the one who asked Brandon while preparing books and I confirm this report =]

On 11/13/2017 at 9:46 PM, JoyBlu said:

Umm... Clarification, please? 

The clues are in which book? 'Arcanum Unbounded' or in 'Oathbringer?'

22 minutes ago, IllNsickly said:

Umm... Clarification, please? 

The clues are in which book? 'Arcanum Unbounded' or in 'Oathbringer?'

It was my understanding that there were clues in Oathbringer as to the powers that the green chicken granted. (But I heard that second hand) When I went through the line I confirmed that the green chicken was an Aviar but Brandon RAFO’d what powers the Aviar granted. I have not finished Oathbringer yet but I’m looking for those clues. 

Maybe @taxilian can clarify

Edited by JoyBlu

On 10/17/2017 at 5:52 PM, The One Who Connects said:

Aether the story is not exactly canon, but we have a WoP that Aethers themselves might be canon when Brandon writes Dragonsteel.

I'm really surprised no one has brought this up. We now have solid in book confirmation of aethers. 

From the first edition of the US Kindle version of Oathbringer page 838 [emphasis mine]: 

“You got the aether out of it?”

“The … what?” 

He [Mraize] strode over and pulled the red trousers out of the basket to inspect them

Mraize's house cleaner washed aether stains from his trousers. 

12 hours ago, JoyBlu said:

It was my understanding that there were clues in Oathbringer as to the powers that the green chicken granted. (But I heard that second hand) When I went through the line I confirmed that the green chicken was an Aviar but Brandon RAFO’d what powers the Aviar granted. I have not finished Oathbringer yet but I’m looking for those clues. 

Maybe @taxilian can clarify

He did not specify which book; if I were to guess, based on the context of the conversation, I would say it's more likely the clues are in WoR, but could be anywhere.  I kinda wanted to just find them myself so didn't try to get specifics.

Weren't the Aviar breeded and taken to the homeland?

In Shinovar there are parrots or "our" chickens

Edit: I believe chickens in Shinovar, from the Interlude of the Thaylen apprentice and I remember something about something similar to a green parrot when Shallan goes to the menagerie in the warcamps with Adolin and Kaladin as their bodyguard.

Edited by blackcatw81

12 hours ago, RShara said:

Alethi and most others call any bird a "chicken" no matter what it is (parrot, parakeet, duck, goose, etc).  But it sounds like this "chicken" really is an Aviar.

Yes, it's said in the above posts, my fault.

However: 

Shin are known for raising and trading chickens, a species unique to this region of Roshar. They are also famous for their horses, and many varieties of fruit, such as strawberries, can only grow in the soil of Shinovar.

The Aviars may be rare at this point but

Spoiler

the perpendicularity already exists on First of the Sun and Silverlight, where Iyatil, Mraize's master, is from, is already established in the CR, so I don't think there could be a place where they couldn't go.