[OB] The Dustbringer

Blacksmithki

So with the appearance of the new Dustbringer in these chapters I'm reminded of a WoB I can't find right now saying that we have seen a future Dustbringer onscreen, but that "it was complicated". However, this Dustbringer does not seem complicated in any way, so my question is, have we seen this person on screen before now? Because that would imply that she is not actually a Dustbringer, especially with the added detail that the Dustbringers did not call themselves as such, they called themselves the "releasers" and hated the term "Dustbringers" as per a quote from WoR in an epigraph of WoR (can someone find that one, I'm on mobile).

Both things combined I find this Dustbringer odd and somewhat suspicious, though it is perfectly plausible that she is legitimately a Dustbringer.

39 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

She's probably an unimportant character. We haven't had a main character dustbringer yet

Why would she be unimportant? I think she will be pretty important. She is aligned with Taravangian, showed up randomly with a Shardblade, and makes Dalinar uncomfortable. Malata will have a role to play, no doubt. She might be May Aladar.

I'm interested in why she hints a smile every time she looks at Dalinar. 

50 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

She's probably an unimportant character. We haven't had a main character dustbringer yet

The thing is I'm pretty sure the WoB (can't get it on mobile) didn't specify that the future dustbringer was a major character, only had appeared on screen.

7 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

By unimportant I mean not a main character. Like Stump. 

Mostly why I'm trying to say is I'm not sure if she's actually a dustbringer, if she has appeared on screen before now it's unlikely she is, also, as I mentioned, why is she referring to herself as a dustbringer instead of as a releaser? epigraph in WoR said they hated the term Dustbringers and called themselves "releasers", extra since she says her Spren called her that.

But hey, if we see her use her powers I guess she'll be confirmed.

Edited by Blacksmithki

5 minutes ago, Blacksmithki said:

Mostly why I'm trying to say is I'm not sure if she's actually a dustbringer, if she has appeared on screen before now it's unlikely she is, also, as I mentioned, why is she referring to herself as a dustbringer instead of as a releaser? epigraph in WoR said they hated the term Dustbringers and called themselves "releasers", extra since she says her Spren called her that.

It might be that Dustbringer is the more well-known name for them. 

What is this whole deal with bringers on Roshar anyway? Voidbringer, Dustbringer, Oathbringer... 

I haven't followed threads that discuss how the other Orders might work, but the term Releaser is interesting to me. If she is a Releaser, why are they also called Dustbringers? Do they release the bonds that hold things together, kind of like the anti Bondsmith, but for physical manifestations? Division is one of their surges, rigt?

Is it established in our fandom that they are called Dustbringers because they destroy the f**k out of things and all they leave behind is dust? That sounds awfully like soulcasting.

3 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

What is this whole deal with bringers on Roshar anyway? Voidbringer, Dustbringer, Oathbringer... 

The thing is, not only would she probably introduce herself as a releaser untill she needed to use "dustbringer" but that epigraph said that they considered the term unacceptable, not just a name they don't like, why in the world would it be her go to introduction?

6 minutes ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

Any chance the Dustbringer could be Liss from WoR prologue?

I tried finding a physical description of her, and what I found is limited (don't have the book with me,) but it doesn't seem to contradict what we have been given.

And Mr. T would bring an assassin with him, because of course he would.

I checked that out too. There's no obvious similarities that stand out but Liss is clearly able to disguise herself.

I wouldn't assume that we've seen her before. Rather than trying to peg her into being something she's not, might be better to worry about what she can do, how experienced she is, whether she has her own agenda or is part of the Diagram group and so on.

3 minutes ago, frozndevl said:

I haven't followed threads that discuss how the other Orders might work, but the term Releaser is interesting to me. If she is a Releaser, why are they also called Dustbringers? Do they release the bonds that hold things together, kind of like the anti Bondsmith, but for physical manifestations? Division is one of their surges, rigt?

Is it established in our fandom that they are called Dustbringers because they destroy the f**k out of things and all they leave behind is dust? That sounds awfully like soulcasting.

Sometimes I really wish that I wasn't on mobile, but the epigraph said they considered the name dustbringer unacceptable because of how similar it is to voidbringer, so I'd guess the origin of it has to do with that. (Someone please find it if you can, thanks)

4 minutes ago, kari-no-sugata said:

I checked that out too. There's no obvious similarities that stand out but Liss is clearly able to disguise herself.

I wouldn't assume that we've seen her before. Rather than trying to peg her into being something she's not, might be better to worry about what she can do, how experienced she is, whether she has her own agenda or is part of the Diagram group and so on.

I would say it's really unlikely to be liss, the WoB (I can't find it on mobile but it came up in a bit about the orders of eshonia and Ash) that said that we had seen a dustbringer on screen but "it's complicated", and honestly, liss becoming a dustbringer seems rather simple and straightforward.

7 minutes ago, Blacksmithki said:

The thing is, not only would she probably introduce herself as a releaser untill she needed to use "dustbringer" but that epigraph said that they considered the term unacceptable, not just a name they don't like, why in the world would it be her go to introduction?

I think it's important to remember what Jasnah was saying to Shallan at the beginning of WoR - The Radiants were a group with a set of cultures, histories and traditions. Current era Surgebinders are not part of that group. They don't share these histories and traditions, so they won't share the same taboos. She's got no reason to be offended by something because it offended someone with the same skills thousands of years ago. 

5 minutes ago, Blacksmithki said:

Dunno. She might just want to skip over any confusion, and thus decides to introduce herself as Dustbringer, but then add: we prefer the term Releasers.

Or she just finds the whole "we don't want to be called Dustbringers" - thing silly, and doesn't give a rust. 

6 minutes ago, kari-no-sugata said:

True. I personally think that she is with the Diagram. They need some Radiants too. I guess that she could be Odium-influenced, but I hope not. I'm getting tired of assuming that everyone is controlled by Odium. I doubt she has an entirely own agenda though. We have more agendas than we need already, with the Kholins/Team Urithiru/Knights Radiant, the Parshmen, the Diagram, the Sons of Honor, the Ghostbloods, Hoid, Odium, Cultivation, Ialai/Team Sadeas, the Shin, Tezim, the Skybreakers and probably some more Heralds running around with different plans and goals.

I didn't expect a Dustbringer with Vargo and I had hoped Redin would be DB. Not that we can't have multiple, I just sincerely didn't expect one to appear from nowhere.

It's also interesting the spren knew about the Dustbringer/Releaser name conflict, does that mean it's reasonable to expect it one of the old radiant spren that survived Recreanse?

Edited by Aleksiel

2 hours ago, Blacksmithki said:

So with the appearance of the new Dustbringer in these chapters I'm reminded of a WoB I can't find right now saying that we have seen a future Dustbringer onscreen, but that "it was complicated".

What? I don't think this WoB exists......

2 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

I agree.

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

The names are derivative, right?

1 hour ago, frozndevl said:

if I recall correctly, WoR estaished that theyre called Dustbringers because they share similarities to Voidbringers.

58 minutes ago, Tarion said:

I think it's important to remember what Jasnah was saying to Shallan at the beginning of WoR - The Radiants were a group with a set of cultures, histories and traditions. Current era Surgebinders are not part of that group. They don't share these histories and traditions, so they won't share the same taboos. She's got no reason to be offended by something because it offended someone with the same skills thousands of years ago. 

Thank you. Have an upvote.

I am drawn back to the color of light eyes that each of the orders get. I know that from a recent WoB, that it's not going to make someone a light eyes that was already light, but it would do something to a dark eyes. Didn't the Dustbringers get red eyes, or at least a reddish tint to them or something, and that's what made them similar to Voidbringers?

4 minutes ago, frozndevl said:

I am drawn back to the color of light eyes that each of the orders get. I know that from a recent WoB, that it's not going to make someone a light eyes that was already light, but it would do something to a dark eyes. Didn't the Dustbringers get red eyes, or at least a reddish tint to them or something, and that's what made them similar to Voidbringers?

Hrmm, wouldn't darkeyed Lightweavers also have red eyes?

15 minutes ago, frozndevl said:

Why would you have a darkeyed lightweaver if the bond makes them a Lighteyes?

A lighteyed person's eyes would not change color after becoming a Radiant. Only a naturally darkeyed person who became a Dustbringer or Lightweaver would experience a red eyed color shift.

So even then, not everyone in the orders would have matching light eyes colors....only the naturally darkeyed individuals would.

Edited by Nymeros